Firefox Crash.

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Firefox Crash.

by rethinkreality on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:21 pm

FIREFOX VERS: 42.0
IMACROS VERS: 8.9.4
Occurs on these OSs: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE SP1 || Snow Leopard || Mountain Lion || Mavericks

Firefox crashes when playing a long javascript and that is with and without any other plugins. Even on a fresh install without adobe flash player. My scripts need to run for 50-90 days uninterrupted while i'm overseas or traveling. Obviously iim scripts are not a solution for me. Palemoon and SeaMonkey can not install iMacros. It (Firefox + iMacros) will run for a few days before the addon will crash. It takes longer to crash on a machine that has more ram, so its copying memory repeatedly and not clearing it out over time. (My guess)
If you want help, make sure to add this information. If you don't, answers may not work for your specific setup.
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all Versions
rethinkreality

Re: Firefox Crash.

by chivracq on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:27 pm

rethinkreality wrote:
Code: Select all
Occurs on these OSs: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE SP1 || Snow Leopard || Mountain Lion || Mavericks

Firefox crashes when playing a long javascript and that is with and without any other plugins. Even on a fresh install without adobe flash player. My scripts need to run for 50-90 days uninterrupted while i'm overseas or traveling. Obviously iim scripts are not a solution for me. Palemoon and SeaMonkey can not install iMacros. It (Firefox + iMacros) will run for a few days before the addon will crash. It takes longer to crash on a machine that has more ram, so its copying memory repeatedly and not clearing it out over time. (My guess)

OK, it's been weeks since we had some "interesting" Thread like yours on the Forum..., even if you state a few things wrongly...

1- "a long Javascript"... => What do you mean by "long"...? => Quantify...!

2- Yep, FF crashing with iMacros Script(s) running is "nearly" normal :roll: , FF is very bad with Memory Leaks, that's why I use Pale Moon...!
2 or 3 days is I think the most you can get with FF on a clean Install..., forget about 50-90 days...! But there are a few other Solutions...

3- "Obviously iim scripts are not a solution for me."
=> Yep and why...? Elaborate on your needs, I don't use .js Scripts, I do everything in pure .iim Scripts and I am pretty sure my Scripts do more complex things than yours, with Decision Making, Artificial Intelligence, and I'm now working on my .iim Scripts being able to morph and modify themselves automatically if needed, like if the HTML Structure of a Page changed, without me "touching" anything... :shock:

4- "Palemoon and SeaMonkey can not install iMacros."
=> Wrong Assumption, my FCI: iMacros for FF v8.8.2, Pale Moon v24.6.2, Win7-x64, 4Gb RAM.
This is since about 1 year the best Config with iMacros, I use it with 3 PM Profiles, several Scripts run automatically (.BAT Files from the Task Scheduler) + a JavaScript Script (not iMacros) running 24/7 since 11,819 hours (= 492 days, 11 hours, 50 minutes, 1 second) doing about 60-100 Clicks per Second on a stupid Cookie, and I have numerous other Scripts that I launch "manually" or that get called by my "automatic" Scripts, I usually reboot once every 3 weeks, the longest I "tested" without a Reboot was about 6 weeks. I tend to reboot a bit more often since a few months because I'm a DJ and I DJ from my Laptop and I always force a complete Shutdown with minimal CPU Use at Restart when I play somewhere, which is now about once a week on average... :oops: 8)
Oh..., and I have around 500 Tabs opened in PM, with at least 50 really loaded after 1 week...
Search my Posts on "Pale Moon + SeaMonkey", there is a complete Thread (well x2 actually I think...) dedicated to installing iMacros for FF on Pale Moon... (and getting it to work, of course...!).

5- Hum..., I was going to give you a few Solutions for your Situation/Needs, but you should already be able to deduct them from my previous Comments..., am I correct...? Reply/Comments welcome... :twisted:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by rethinkreality on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:59 pm

chivracq wrote:
rethinkreality wrote:

OK, it's been weeks since we had some "interesting" Thread like yours on the Forum..., even if you state a few things wrongly...

1- "a long Javascript"... => What do you mean by "long"...? => Quantify...!

2- Yep, FF crashing with iMacros Script(s) running is "nearly" normal :roll: , FF is very bad with Memory Leaks, that's why I use Pale Moon...!
2 or 3 days is I think the most you can get with FF on a clean Install..., forget about 50-90 days...! But there are a few other Solutions...

3- "Obviously iim scripts are not a solution for me."
=> Yep and why...? Elaborate on your needs, I don't use .js Scripts, I do everything in pure .iim Scripts and I am pretty sure my Scripts do more complex things than yours, with Decision Making, Artificial Intelligence, and I'm now working on my .iim Scripts being able to morph and modify themselves automatically if needed, like if the HTML Structure of a Page changed, without me "touching" anything... :shock:

4- "Palemoon and SeaMonkey can not install iMacros."
=> Wrong Assumption, my FCI: iMacros for FF v8.8.2, Pale Moon v24.6.2, Win7-x64, 4Gb RAM.
This is since about 1 year the best Config with iMacros, I use it with 3 PM Profiles, several Scripts run automatically (.BAT Files from the Task Scheduler) + a JavaScript Script (not iMacros) running 24/7 since 11,819 hours (= 492 days, 11 hours, 50 minutes, 1 second) doing about 60-100 Clicks per Second on a stupid Cookie, and I have numerous other Scripts that I launch "manually" or that get called by my "automatic" Scripts, I usually reboot once every 3 weeks, the longest I "tested" without a Reboot was about 6 weeks. I tend to reboot a bit more often since a few months because I'm a DJ and I DJ from my Laptop and I always force a complete Shutdown with minimal CPU Use at Restart when I play somewhere, which is now about once a week on average... :oops: 8)
Oh..., and I have around 500 Tabs opened in PM, with at least 50 really loaded after 1 week...
Search my Posts on "Pale Moon + SeaMonkey", there is a complete Thread (well x2 actually I think...) dedicated to installing iMacros for FF on Pale Moon... (and getting it to work, of course...!).

5- Hum..., I was going to give you a few Solutions for your Situation/Needs, but you should already be able to deduct them from my previous Comments..., am I correct...? Reply/Comments welcome... :twisted:

1- Long duration, short script considering (only 1091 lines)

2- I tried installing imacros on pale moon and it said it couldn't be installed as an add-on in the latest version. Download but couldn't install. So, clarify? Or do you mean the older versions?

3- I'm controlling macros on my computer through my cell phone via texting, I can text my computer through a web app and have it run macros through my js responder, send responses, scrape webpages, even check the room temperature of my house. But iim scripts have no decision making capabilities, how are you doing that?

4- The only iMacros version that is working for Pale Mooon is 8.8.7.1-signed. 8.8.8.1 fixes some frame issues that I might run into. Why won't the latest versions work ? You're a DJ? Cool, i'm a drummer. Guess musicians are a cut above.

5- I, for the most part, like to stay up to date on software except when it fulfills a specific purpose. Will there be Pale Moon compatibility for 8.9.4 in the future?
If you want help, make sure to add this information. If you don't, answers may not work for your specific setup.
rethinkreality

by chivracq on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:00 am

rethinkreality wrote:1- Long duration, short script considering (only 1091 lines)

2- I tried installing imacros on pale moon and it said it couldn't be installed as an add-on in the latest version. Download but couldn't install. So, clarify? Or do you mean the older versions?

3- I'm controlling macros on my computer through my cell phone via texting, I can text my computer through a web app and have it run macros through my js responder, send responses, scrape webpages, even check the room temperature of my house. But iim scripts have no decision making capabilities, how are you doing that?

4- The only iMacros version that is working for Pale Mooon is 8.8.7.1-signed. 8.8.8.1 fixes some frame issues that I might run into. Why won't the latest versions work ? You're a DJ? Cool, i'm a drummer. Guess musicians are a cut above.

5- I, for the most part, like to stay up to date on software except when it fulfills a specific purpose. Will there be Pale Moon compatibility for 8.9.4 in the future?

1- OK, not that long indeed, so I guess there is some Looping in your Script... My main Macro (.iim) has 3800 Lines, runs from the Task Scheduler every 4h and runs once or loops up to 15 times, is able to auto-decide how many times it will loop itself. My second main Macro has 4500 Lines and runs once or twice a day and is launched manually or from the Task Scheduler or is called from the other main Macro and calls itself 2 other Macros (3800 + 350 Lines). And I have another one "big" Macro of 8300 Lines that I sometimes run (manually) but its Tasks are normally covered by the 2 previous Macros. And I have sometimes another (short: 100 Lines) Macro looping constantly about every 20 min 24/7 for 7-10 days. This one runs then in a different PM Profile, otherwise it would get automatically stopped by any scheduled Macro.

2-4-5- For Pale Moon (Installation) related Pb's/Questions, have you located the (main) Thread about Pale Moon I mentioned? Post them in that Thread, I am not going to repeat everything in this current Thread, and that's not your Original Question here, and that's a good Opportunity to bump that Thread to show Interest for Support for Pale Moon next to FF for the Dev Team.

3- Very nice using SMS's, I was thinking of doing the same, I just didn't investigate which (free) SMS Service(s) to use to implement it, I currently use Mails sent to some E-Mail Address with Formatted Keywords, that my Macro checks regularly.
I use TeamViewer as well to be able to access my PC from anywhere to check if everything is running fine or remotely launch some Macro manually or change the Scheduled Tasks if needed. I think there is even a TV Client for SmartPhones, I've never tried it, as I don't have a SmartPhone...!, ah-ah...!! :oops:

"But iim scripts have no decision making capabilities, how are you doing that?"
=> Answer(s) in this Thread:
- Decision Making using iMacros/Possible Workarounds

A few Reactions from a few Users:
That's very interesting. I had heard a few years ago of people using iMacros iim files with conditional behavior, and without wrapping in a js file.
This is extremely useful! If you've got other tips on this subject, I'm all eyes :))
OMG this is really fu***ng brilliant!!! Using this method I've rewritten 3 very long and hard to read macros and now the code is simply beautiful! Thanks again!!

4- "You're a DJ? Cool, i'm a drummer. Guess musicians are a cut above."
Yep, and I'm a Painter as well, I think it's the Artistic and Creative part in our way of Thinking that makes us "good" with iMacros as it has a huge Potential and though many Limitations that oblige me to look for "Creative" Solutions to work around any Limitations to achieve what I want to do.

5- Pale Moon is just an idea because it is better than FF in my Opinion for Performance and Reliability, but you could still meet your Needs using FF and the latest Versions for FF and iMacros, even if FF or iMacros gets automatically updated while you're away for 50-90 days and your Script gets broken, you'll have a Problem...! OK, that you can solve with TeamViewer or Remote Desktop, that's one Element already for a Solution.

The other Element that I have already mentioned is to have your Script launched from a . BAT File from the Windows Task Scheduler at some regular times, (it will automatically kill the previous Macro currently running), the latest Macro is then run in a new Tab, which you can close if you want and depending on how long you know that FF will run reliably before crashing, have FF closed regularly from your Macro and killed from your .BAT File before restarting FF with your Macro.
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
chivracq

by rethinkreality on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:23 am

chivracq wrote:1- OK, not that long indeed, so I guess there is some Looping in your Script... My main Macro (.iim) has 3800 Lines, runs from the Task Scheduler every 4h and runs once or loops up to 15 times, is able to auto-decide how many times it will loop itself. My second main Macro has 4500 Lines and runs once or twice a day and is launched manually or from the Task Scheduler or is called from the other main Macro and calls itself 2 other Macros (3800 + 350 Lines). And I have another one "big" Macro of 8300 Lines that I sometimes run (manually) but its Tasks are normally covered by the 2 previous Macros. And I have sometimes another (short: 100 Lines) Macro looping constantly about every 20 min 24/7 for 7-10 days. This one runs then in a different PM Profile, otherwise it would get automatically stopped by any scheduled Macro.

2-4-5- For Pale Moon (Installation) related Pb's/Questions, have you located the (main) Thread about Pale Moon I mentioned? Post them in that Thread, I am not going to repeat everything in this current Thread, and that's not your Original Question here, and that's a good Opportunity to bump that Thread to show Interest for Support for Pale Moon next to FF for the Dev Team.

3- Very nice using SMS's, I was thinking of doing the same, I just didn't investigate which (free) SMS Service(s) to use to implement it, I currently use Mails sent to some E-Mail Address with Formatted Keywords, that my Macro checks regularly.
I use TeamViewer as well to be able to access my PC from anywhere to check if everything is running fine or remotely launch some Macro manually or change the Scheduled Tasks if needed. I think there is even a TV Client for SmartPhones, I've never tried it, as I don't have a SmartPhone...!, ah-ah...!! :oops:

"But iim scripts have no decision making capabilities, how are you doing that?"
=> Answer(s) in this Thread:
- Decision Making using iMacros/Possible Workarounds

A few Reactions from a few Users:
That's very interesting. I had heard a few years ago of people using iMacros iim files with conditional behavior, and without wrapping in a js file.
This is extremely useful! If you've got other tips on this subject, I'm all eyes :))
OMG this is really fu***ng brilliant!!! Using this method I've rewritten 3 very long and hard to read macros and now the code is simply beautiful! Thanks again!!

4- "You're a DJ? Cool, i'm a drummer. Guess musicians are a cut above."
Yep, and I'm a Painter as well, I think it's the Artistic and Creative part in our way of Thinking that makes us "good" with iMacros as it has a huge Potential and though many Limitations that oblige me to look for "Creative" Solutions to work around any Limitations to achieve what I want to do.

5- Pale Moon is just an idea because it is better than FF in my Opinion for Performance and Reliability, but you could still meet your Needs using FF and the latest Versions for FF and iMacros, even if FF or iMacros gets automatically updated while you're away for 50-90 days and your Script gets broken, you'll have a Problem...! OK, that you can solve with TeamViewer or Remote Desktop, that's one Element already for a Solution.

The other Element that I have already mentioned is to have your Script launched from a . BAT File from the Windows Task Scheduler at some regular times, (it will automatically kill the previous Macro currently running), the latest Macro is then run in a new Tab, which you can close if you want and depending on how long you know that FF will run reliably before crashing, have FF closed regularly from your Macro and killed from your .BAT File before restarting FF with your Macro.

1- I don't need multiple profiles, although multifox has worked well when I needed it.

2- I do like that Pale Moon handles memory leaks better, but it can not run js scripts, or I'm using unsupported js commands. (This error "Downloads.getList is not a function (Error code: -1001)") I was searching for posts of yours containing pale moon and there are ... pages. Do you have a link? If we can set a little fire under their butts, I'd gladly help. Maybe they would support it a little better.

3- Search is over. I use pinger.com (pinger). I don't know if this forum will let me post links but just use google and you'll find it. Team viewer is in my list of things to setup too.

Decision making capabilities. Nice forum post, I'm not sure how I can apply it to my script yet. May take a long while but very interesting. It may solve other problems down the road.

4- I think you're right. I stumbled upon imacros last year to help me accomplish minuscule tasks, now it saves and even generates a small stream of income for me while I sleep so that I can concentrate on music.

5- I have auto update disabled. I am planning on having T.V. to check on the progress while i'm gone, but I would like the programs to be able to run largely without human interference. I believe BAT files and are a better option for now with task manager, but I only recently moved back to windows. Is the http://wiki.imacros.net/Example-Batchfile.bat up to date? because the XPATH page is wrong.
rethinkreality

by chivracq on Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:18 pm

rethinkreality wrote:1- I don't need multiple profiles, although multifox has worked well when I needed it.

Never used that "MultiFox", I just use "Standard" FF and/or Pale Moon which both use the same Tool for creating Profiles...
I started using several Profiles only a few months ago, and I use different Profiles for 3 Reasons:

a- Because I use a Technique of an .iim Macro (conditionally) calling (itself or) an other .iim (or .js, see Item 'd-') Macro using
URL GOTO=imacros://run/?m=_2nd<SP>Macro!.IIM
and that Technique has the nasty Drawback of starting the 2nd Macro in the Browser Instance and Tab that has the Focus at the moment of the Switch which can be very annoying if the 1st Macro is running in some minimized FF/PM Instance and I'm doing other things in a 2nd FF/PM Instance like answering Threads on the Forum.

b- I use the following Syntax in several of my Macros, to speed up Execution on a Site rich in Images
FILTER TYPE=IMAGES STATUS=ON/OFF
which is Profile-wide, meaning that if I try to load a Page "manually" in some 2nd FF/PM Browser Instance, Images will be disabled as well.

c- I play a stupid though addictive Tamagochi Game (and that's how I came to iMacros about 10 years ago and acquired all my Knowledge about iMacros from by more or less completely reverse programming the whole Site with my Macros) for which I manage 11 Accounts (each requiring about 30 min every single day of Actions and Decisions to feed the Beasties) and all Accounts use the same Cookie which confuses the Site if I try to do 2 different things (= run 2 different Scripts) at the same time on 2 different Accounts.

d- And one more Reason would be to be able to call some mini .js Script just for the 'iimDisplay()' Functionality which is not available afaik from pure .iim. I don't use it though (yet...!).
I do "misuse" 'MacroError()' in 'EVAL()' for displaying some Reporting at the end of Macro Execution, but I only get the Info at the end of the (last) Run

rethinkreality wrote:2- I do like that Pale Moon handles memory leaks better, but it can not run js scripts, or I'm using unsupported js commands. (This error "Downloads.getList is not a function (Error code: -1001)") I was searching for posts of yours containing pale moon and there are ... pages. Do you have a link? If we can set a little fire under their butts, I'd gladly help. Maybe they would support it a little better.

Hum, I didn't have any Pb locating it using "Pale Moon + SeaMonkey", like I had mentioned earlier, Thread is here:
- Palemoon doesn't work with imacros
It refers as well to another Thread which contains some complementary Info.
I've already bumped it for you to find it easily and quoted all our Comments about PM in that other Thread (thinking you might be too lazy to do it correctly... :oops: ), further Comments about PM not specifically related to your current Original Question can be better posted in the other Thread... :idea:

"If we can set a little fire under their butts, I'd gladly help."
=> I usually tend to prefer Spanking but it has not shown many-many Results so your Method might prove to be better...

rethinkreality wrote:3- Search is over. I use pinger.com (pinger). I don't know if this forum will let me post links but just use google and you'll find it. Team viewer is in my list of things to setup too.

Decision making capabilities. Nice forum post, I'm not sure how I can apply it to my script yet. May take a long while but very interesting. It may solve other problems down the road.

No Pb to post Links on this Forum...

About the 'Decision making' Thread using pure .iim' Scripts, make sure you understand the Techniques I mentioned before using them as I guess I'm the only using those Techniques and in case of a Pb, I'll probably be the only one who can answer/solve your Qt/Pb... :oops: , the "normal" and supported way to achieve Conditional Behaviour is to use .js Scripts for which you'll have many Advanced iMacros and/or JavaScript Programmers to help you..., even if they are not very-very active on the Forum, but for pure JavaScript Questions, you can fall back on other Forums like Stackoverflow for example...

rethinkreality wrote:4- I think you're right. I stumbled upon imacros last year to help me accomplish minuscule tasks, now it saves and even generates a small stream of income for me while I sleep so that I can concentrate on music.

Hum, I might be interested :oops: by your "now it saves and even generates a small stream of income for me while I sleep...", if you care to share... :twisted:
I'm reachable at [My_Pseudo_on_the_Forum]@gmail.com if you don't want to share a bit too publicly on the Forum...
I would then convert your Method to pure .iim Scripts and would probably improve a few things, that I would then share back with you...

rethinkreality wrote:5- I have auto update disabled. I am planning on having T.V. to check on the progress while i'm gone, but I would like the programs to be able to run largely without human interference. I believe BAT files and are a better option for now with task manager, but I only recently moved back to windows. Is the http://wiki.imacros.net/Example-Batchfile.bat up to date? because the XPATH page is wrong.

You have a Task Manager for MacOS and Linux, so you can use the Technique for all OS'es, I only think there are no Examples for MacOS on the Forum, at least that I know of...
You have many Examples for Win32/64 on the Forum, I've posted my own .BAT File several Times already, you should be able to locate such a Thread quite easily.
The 'Example-Batchfile' Wiki Page you refer to was last updated in May 2015 and the .BAT File there looks fine to me, at least for the iMacros Browser, I don't know about "the XPATH Page", I don't use 'XPATH'...
chivracq

by chivracq on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:36 am

Posted in the Pale Moon Thread:

chivracq wrote:
rethinkreality wrote:Update, it also happens on my WINDOWS 10 box (32gb), I'm going to try it on on my debian linux next.

my win 7 ultimate is 16gb (intel chip i7)
Snow Leopard is 8gb (intel chip i7)
Mountain Lion is 16gb (intel chip i7)
Mavericks is 16gb (intel chip i7)

Nice to follow-up... :D

By "it", I guess you refer to your other Thread with FF leaking and crashing after some more or less extended time, depending on the amount of RAM..., not sure if you refer to PM here...

rethinkreality wrote:PS: @chivracq, why are you not a moderator on this website? You're clearly more active than anyone else from IPSWITCH. They should hire you.

Well, I am actually (since a few weeks), you can see it from the Blue Colour on my Pseudo... The main purpose is to combat Spam on the Forum that was being flooded regularly especially during the WE, and first time Posters now need to get their Post/Thread approved before their Post/Thread will be visible on the Forum, like I had to approve your first Post...
=> In the last 4 Weeks: 150 new Posters, of which about 50% were Spam.

iOpus/Ipswitch offer a wonderful Free Product for 3 Major Browsers, they cannot allocate Resources to constantly monitor the Forum and answer all Questions, the Forum is more meant as "Users helping other Users", paying Customers (for the iMacros Browser and the Enterprise Edition) have access to another Support Desk where TechSupport do respond IRT and help them thoroughly.

rethinkreality wrote:PSSS: I thought that I would add, This is my annoying work around for the memory leak of FF (which could be avoided by simply UPDATING a PALEMOON PLUGIN/EXTENSION.

IN FF:
go to about:config
search for "toolkit.startup.max_resumed_crashes "
set value to -1 (aka infinite)

create a bash file with this content.

#!/bin/bash
{
   sleep 72000
   ps -ef | grep -v 'grep' | grep firefox | awk '{ print $2; }' | xargs kill
   kill $$
} &
while true
do
   /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin imacros://run/?m=1.iim
   sleep 1
done

In iCal set the bash script to run every day at the same time.

Boah, "annoying", this is exactly the Solution I meant for your other Thread to make sure that iMacros can run reliably unattended for a very long period (and I use it myself). I didn't know about this 'about:config' Setting.

A big Thanks for sharing your 'bash' File, I think that's the first Example I see on the Forum of a Batch File for MacOS, that will certainly be useful for other Users... I will quote the relevant parts to your other Thread where they belong rather than in this Pale Moon Thread if you haven't done so already...
chivracq

by rethinkreality on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:13 pm

Updated script to run macros on Mac from Terminal.

Remember to change the about:config still.

#!/bin/bash
function runmymacro {
     /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -p "macros" imacros://run/?m=1.iim
     sleep 23h
     ps -ef | grep -v 'grep' | grep firefox | awk '{ print $2; }' | xargs kill
     kill $$
}
trap runmymacro EXIT
rethinkreality

Return to iMacros for Firefox