display?

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

display?

by les_stockton on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:20 am

Is there a way to display to the tray, from within imacros, equivalent to what is done from javascript with the iimDisplay command?
les_stockton

Re: display?

by chivracq on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:32 pm

les_stockton wrote:Is there a way to display to the tray, from within imacros, equivalent to what is done from javascript with the iimDisplay command?

Yes and No and to some extent Yes... :twisted:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by les_stockton on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:41 pm

chivracq wrote:
les_stockton wrote:Is there a way to display to the tray, from within imacros, equivalent to what is done from javascript with the iimDisplay command?

Would you share this knowledge, please?
les_stockton

by chivracq on Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:00 pm

les_stockton wrote:
chivracq wrote:

Would you share this knowledge, please?

Sorry, CIM for me to follow up, I've already asked you several times to always mention your FCI when you open a Thread, read my Sig, many Commands are not available for all Browsers/Versions like you found out yourself about 'iimDisplay()' already... :roll:

And your Thread Title is not very useful (for other Users) and not very Descriptive about your Question... You should be able to find other similar/related Threads using the Keywords in your Thread Title..., well good luck with "display"...! :idea:

You are not a Newbie anymore and I only help Users using the Forum a bit correctly, and a few of your older Threads could still be made a bit more useful for other Users by sharing your Solution, but OK, never mind about that...

By "...using the Forum a bit correctly...", I mean:
- Descriptive Thread Title. ("Need Help" or "Please...!!" are useless for example...)
- No Spam (= No Duplicate Threads).
- FCI mentioned.
- URL + Script posted and where they get stuck and what they've tried.
- Searched the Forum/Wiki/FAQ and not asking a Question that has already been asked and answered many times already.
- Neat Follow-up on all their (previous) Thread(s).
- Sharing their Solution.
(And all points apply of course for all their Threads...)
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
chivracq

by les_stockton on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:43 am

Firefox 47.0
I just downloaded a new imacros as of 2 weeks ago and it was the latest version. I don't recall version number ad not sure how to determine that now, but it was downloaded in June 2016.

what else do you need in order to tell me if an imacros command exists for writing messages to the browser tray on the left?
As I had stated previously, I've done this using iimDisplay from javascript, but in this case, I want to do everything from the iim file, so whatever command gets used, would probably need to be done in native imacros.

unless I can use an EVAL statement with javascript inside that, but I'm not sure what that would look like. I've done a SET EVAL before, but not sure what it would look like to be able to call iimDisplay.
les_stockton

by chivracq on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:23 am

les_stockton wrote:
Code: Select all
Firefox 47.0

I just downloaded a new imacros as of 2 weeks ago and it was the latest version. I don't recall version number ad not sure how to determine that now, but it was downloaded in June 2016.

what else do you need in order to tell me if an imacros command exists for writing messages to the browser tray on the left?
As I had stated previously, I've done this using iimDisplay from javascript, but in this case, I want to do everything from the iim file, so whatever command gets used, would probably need to be done in native imacros.

unless I can use an EVAL statement with javascript inside that, but I'm not sure what that would look like. I've done a SET EVAL before, but not sure what it would look like to be able to call iimDisplay.

FF47 => iMacros for FF v8.9.7. (Not complicated to check your Version, either by recording any New Macro, or by checking the FF Add-on Manager Properties for iMacros...) And we'll forget about your OS, shouldn't play a role anyway, hum maybe yes, for one of the "Methods" but it shouldn't be too difficult to "adapt" for different OS'es...

First straight Answer to your Qt is NO, it's not possible in pure '.iim' (on any Browser) to directly use 'iimDisplay()' or any Equivalent.
Which is a great pity...!, I've already filled an EnhReq that you could support, the more Users are asking for some Feature, the more chance we make that it might one day get implemented... :idea: :
- Feedback - Take the iMacros Add-on(s) Survey!
by chivracq on 19 Feb 2016, 16:58 wrote:6. Last but not least, are there any feature(s) would you like us to add in 2016? :-)

- Add 'iimDisplay()' Command to pure '.iim'.

So, OK, its not possible directly but there are a few Workarounds/Possibilities...:
1- One Technique that I use in many of my own (.iim) Macros is to use/misuse 'EVAL()' + 'MacroError()' to display some mini-Report in the Side Panel at the End of my Macros. But you can only use it at the End of the Macro, as the last Statement...!

2- One other Technique only on FF, would be to call some mini '.js' Script (using 'URL GOTO=imacros://run/?m=....iim') that will use 'iimDisplay()' before calling back some second '.iim' Macro to further process your Script. You then need to split your original '.iim' into 2 or more smaller '.iim' Macros. It's OK for 1 or 2 Display but it becomes quickly cumbersome if you need more, and the more Parts you have for the whole '.iim' Macro, the more hassle you have to maintain your Script and to reuse the same Vars between different Parts.
And if your original Macro needed some Looping, that becomes even more of a hassle.

3- In pure '.iim', using the 'PROMPT' Command is a powerful way to display some Info/Report. It is though a bit intrusive as you need some User Intervention to dismiss it. If you only want the 'PROMPT' to come up in specific cases, if some Check goes wrong for example, or only for the first or last Loop, I posted a few months ago a Solution for a "Conditional PROMPT" for iMacros for FF.

4- Some other way, but a bit less practical as it requires some User Intervention is to have your Macro copy some Information at some "strategic" places in your Script to the OS Clipboard using the '!CLIPBOARD' Command, and the User can paste the Content of the Clipboard into some Temp '.TXT' File while the Macro is still running.

5- A bit similar to '4-' is to have your Macro save at those strategic places in your Macro the same Info directly to the '.TXT' File using 'SAVEAS'. Can be used for Logging as well.

6- Same like '5-' but a bit more Extended is to have that '.TXT' File opened directly in FF from your Macro in a second Tab and the User can pause the Macro manually and check the Content of TAB_2 or iMacros can switch automatically from time to time to TAB_2 and display (with a 'REFRESH') that TAB for a few Seconds.
If you open that 'TXT' File from a 2nd Instance of FF, you don't interrupt your Macro Execution and the User just needs to (manually) refresh the Page, but it's a bit like '5-', checking the '.TXT' File manually using Notepad...

7- It's even possible to use/misuse some Input Field on your Page (or any Page with some Input Field opened in a second TAB).

8- On some Sites, you can misuse the URL of the Site/Page to add some extra Info at the end of the URL.

Well, 8 Options already, and there are probably a few more, that should make you a bit happy already, I would think...

9-10- You can send yourself a SMS or a Mail even, ah-ah...!
chivracq

by les_stockton on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:58 am

thanks
les_stockton

Return to iMacros for Firefox