Recording X/Y doesn't work - please help!

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Recording X/Y doesn't work - please help!

by steviesteviec on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:48 am

Ok, so I go to recording options and select 'use x/y position' - I then click record and it just doesn't work. It records:

EVENT TYPE=CLICK SELECTOR="HTML>BODY>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV:nth-of-type(2)>DIV>DIV>DIV>A>SPAN" BUTTON=0

Why?

Yesterday it worked absolutely fine. I've not done anything differently. Why can't it just record the X/Y correctly?
steviesteviec

Re: Recording X/Y doesn't work - please help!

by chivracq on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:12 pm

steviesteviec wrote:Ok, so I go to recording options and select 'use x/y position' - I then click record and it just doesn't work. It records:

Code: Select all
EVENT TYPE=CLICK SELECTOR="HTML>BODY>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV>DIV:nth-of-type(2)>DIV>DIV>DIV>A>SPAN" BUTTON=0

Why?

Yesterday it worked absolutely fine. I've not done anything differently. Why can't it just record the X/Y correctly?

CIM...! :mrgreen: (Always mention your FCI when you open a Thread, read my Sig, many Commands are not implemented for all Browsers/Versions...)

But yep, normal, I guess you are using iMacros for FF which updated itself recently to v9.0.3 for which the Release Notes state:
... Euh, hum..., it's not mentioned anymore...!! :oops: , but for v9.0.1 & v9.0.2 Beta Versions, it was mentioned that the X/Y CLICK Mode had been dropped and replaced by the EVENT Mode. But (older) Scripts using the CLICK would still work in v9.x, but you cannot record them anymore. If you still want to record a Macro using this Mode, you need to use iMacros for IE or iMB or reinstall a previous Version of iMacros for FF, v8.9.7 for example, maybe on some separate FF47/48 Profile.
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by steviesteviec on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:16 pm

chivracq wrote:
steviesteviec wrote:Ok, so I go to recording options and select 'use x/y position' - I then click record and it just doesn't work. It records:

Code: Select all

Why?

CIM...! :mrgreen: (Always mention your FCI when you open a Thread, read my Sig, many Commands are not implemented for all Browsers/Versions...)

But yep, normal, I guess you are using iMacros for FF which updated itself recently to v9.0.3 for which the Release Notes state:
... Euh, hum..., it's not mentioned anymore...!! :oops: , but for v9.0.1 & v9.0.2 Beta Versions, it was mentioned that the X/Y CLICK Mode had been dropped and replaced by the EVENT Mode. But (older) Scripts using the CLICK would still work in v9.x, but you cannot record them anymore. If you still want to record a Macro using this Mode, you need to use iMacros for IE or iMB or reinstall a previous Version of iMacros for FF, v8.9.7 for example, maybe on some separate FF47/48 Profile.

Crikey... X/Y was a MAJOR thing... massive.

It actually makes imacros now useless for 90% of my jobs. How strange!
steviesteviec

by chivracq on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:17 pm

steviesteviec wrote:Crikey... X/Y was a MAJOR thing... massive.

It actually makes imacros now useless for 90% of my jobs. How strange!

Well, I gave you a Workaround...

And CIM again for me to follow up... :roll:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
chivracq

by steviesteviec on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:27 am

Event doesn't always work - especially when you're clicking on 'next' which goes to a new page.

No idea what CIM means, sorry.
steviesteviec

by chivracq on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:36 am

steviesteviec wrote:Event doesn't always work - especially when you're clicking on 'next' which goes to a new page.

No idea what CIM means, sorry.

Well then never mind.... :roll:
chivracq

by Tom, Tech Support on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 am

chivracq wrote:... Euh, hum..., it's not mentioned anymore...!! :oops: , but for v9.0.1 & v9.0.2 Beta Versions, it was mentioned that the X/Y CLICK Mode had been dropped and replaced by the EVENT Mode. But (older) Scripts using the CLICK would still work in v9.x, but you cannot record them anymore.
Yes, I just re-added this to the release notes, plus I opened a development ticket to remove the 'Use X/Y position' option in the Recording Preferences dialog.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tom, Tech Support

by chivracq on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 am

Tom, Tech Support wrote:
chivracq wrote:... Euh, hum..., it's not mentioned anymore...!! :oops: , but for v9.0.1 & v9.0.2 Beta Versions, it was mentioned that the X/Y CLICK Mode had been dropped and replaced by the EVENT Mode. But (older) Scripts using the CLICK would still work in v9.x, but you cannot record them anymore.
Yes, I just re-added this to the release notes, plus I opened a development ticket to remove the 'Use X/Y position' option in the Recording Preferences dialog.

Ah-ah-ah...!, you got a bit mixed up with the Quote Mechanism, @Tom, oops!, the Quote was from me and not from @OP, like I've corrected here above in this Post...

Well, good indeed for the Update to the Release Notes:
CLICK (X/Y) record mode is now deprecated, use EVENT mode instead. However, existing macros that contain CLICK commands can be replayed.

And indeed, removing the Radio Button Option in the Recording Options would have been my next Step, but I haven't installed v9.0.3 yet, so I didn't have a chance to see how it was implemented/removed/left...

Even if hum..., a bit the same Feeling like @OP, even if I never really used the X/Y CLICK Mode that I consider not very reliable, it still "saved my Life" a few times, so I find it a bit of a pity as well that it gets removed... (Even if I know of 2 ways on how to still create Statements for it..., one that I have already mentioned in this Thread and one that I haven't had a chance to test yet... (and that I didn't mention because of @OP not answering my Qt's and switching to "Vulgarity"..., Post deleted luckily...))
Or it could be added/moved as an Option for the EVENT Mode as "Favor Coordinates" just like "Favor ID's"...

[EnhReq]:
Another "Great Idea" of mine, ah-ah...!!, if it is really going to disappear from the Record Options, would be to replace it by an extra Option for the 'TAG' Mode to automatically record 'EXTRACT=TXT' (with a Toggle ON/OFF for Links & Buttons) + extra Attention/easy Mechanism for DDLB's and Tables/Rows/Columns...
That would position iMacros as an easy to use and powerful Data Extraction Tool, ah-ah...!! :idea:

Adding the EXTRACT Functionality to the EVENT Mode would be very handy as well... :idea:

Look at my other EnhReq's in the following Thread, I don't think any single one has ever been implemented, which is a pity actually grrr...!!!, the v9.x Branch would be a great Opportunity... (And that's why I'm still using v8.8.2, ah-ah...!):
- Feedback - Take the iMacros Add-on(s) Survey!
chivracq

by Tom, Tech Support on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:08 am

chivracq wrote:I know of 2 ways on how to still create Statements for it..., one that I have already mentioned in this Thread and one that I haven't had a chance to test yet...
Of course you can still manually add CLICK commands to your macro, but you have to guess at the coordinates through trial-and-error.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tom, Tech Support

Return to iMacros for Firefox