Displaying window.alert()

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Displaying window.alert()

by comp3v on Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:22 pm

(I know it's a dumb question, but I couldn't find this info in wiki or elsewhere!)
I want to display a javascript dialog by calling something like
Code: Select all
URL GOTO=javascript:alert("TEST");
. If I just run this from my .iim macros, I get an error (Unhandled alert dialog detected. Dialog message: "TEST", line: 5 (Error code: -1450)). From the wiki, I see the explanation "The Dialog Manager detected a dialog, but the handler for this dialog type is not enabled." - but this is my own alert, I want just to display it and let the user close it, not handle it from the script! (Okay, I can add some "ONDIALOG" command, but what exactly should I write there if I want to display it?)

UPD. Config I am using: Windows 10 64-bit, Firefox v 49.0.2, iMacros v 9.0.3.
Last edited by comp3v on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
comp3v

Re: Displaying window.alert()

by chivracq on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:03 pm

comp3v wrote:(I know it's a dumb question, but I couldn't find this info in wiki or elsewhere!)
I want to display a javascript dialog by calling something like
URL GOTO=javascript:alert("TEST");
. If I just run this from my .iim macros, I get an error (Unhandled alert dialog detected. Dialog message: "TEST", line: 5 (Error code: -1450)). From the wiki, I see the explanation "The Dialog Manager detected a dialog, but the handler for this dialog type is not enabled." - but this is my own alert, I want just to display it and let the user close it, not handle it from the script! (Okay, I can add some "ONDIALOG" command, but what exactly should I write there if I want to display it?)

CIM...! :mrgreen:
It's a Technical Forum, we need Technical Info about your precise Environment...! :roll:

'...but I couldn't find this info in wiki or elsewhere!", well the Statement you are trying to use is an exact Copy&Paste from the Wiki...

But, OK, "good news", it's a Bug since v7.5.x or v8.0.x (hum, talking about iMacros for FF Versions, you didn't mention your FCI but I reckon you are on FF, oh...!, and you posted in the 'iMacros for FF' Sub-Forum...!) that has never been fixed, maybe in v9.0.3, I didn't check, and that I have reported already 2 or 3 years ago... => The Wiki is wrong... (well..., concerning FF, it works in CR I know, and probably in IE and iMB, only FF is impacted...)

Workaround is to use 'PROMPT'.
Or use a '.js' Script otherwise, 'alert()' works fine then...

If you were trying to use this Syntax for a "Conditional PROMPT", see the following Thread for a Workaround for FF I posted a few months ago:
- Re: PROMPT Messagebox - Yes - No - Cancel (end)
(Hum, and it probably only works in Win32/64 OS as I'm "misusing" another Bug...)
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by comp3v on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:12 pm

chivracq, thanks for the answer! sorry for not giving tech info (added it to the original post now) - I thought that with so basic question, the only issue was only about me doing something wrong :) and of course I could not expect that my very first code in iMacros will catch a bug!
comp3v

by iimfun on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:37 am

comp3v wrote:... this is my own alert, I want just to display it ...

Sometimes a miracle may happen
' ...
' the last command in your macro
URL GOTO=javascript:setTimeout("alert('TEST');",300);void(0);

comp3v wrote:... my very first code in iMacros ...

Or perhaps you just need this?
PROMPT TEST
iimfun

by comp3v on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:20 am

iimfun wrote:Sometimes a miracle may happen
' ...

didn't work in my case :/ No error messages this time, but alert does not appear either.

iimfun wrote:Or perhaps you just need this?
PROMPT TEST
no, unfortunately it's not what I need: I want a message from inside a piece of javascript code...
comp3v

by chivracq on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:01 am

comp3v wrote:chivracq, thanks for the answer! sorry for not giving tech info (added it to the original post now) - I thought that with so basic question, the only issue was only about me doing something wrong :) and of course I could not expect that my very first code in iMacros will catch a bug!

comp3v wrote:UPD. Config I am using:
Windows 10 64-bit,
Firefox v 49.0.2,
iMacros v 9.0.3.

OK, good for your FCI... :D
Always mention it when you open a Thread or post for the first time in some existing older Thread, many Commands are not implemented for all Browsers/Versions or can get broken from some specific Version like in this current Case...!
But OK, you are on v9.0.3, meaning it's not fixed in this Version either, which doesn't surprises me. v9.0.3 is pretty buggy and limited btw, Advice is to go back to v8.9.7 which is way more stable...

iimfun wrote:
comp3v wrote:... this is my own alert, I want just to display it ...

Sometimes a miracle may happen
' ...

comp3v wrote:... my very first code in iMacros ...

Or perhaps you just need this?
PROMPT TEST

Yeah, 'PROMPT' is what I suggested as well, which is even more powerful than the plain JavaScript 'alert()' Function anyway...

But, sh%^$#^&*tt, @iimfun, your Syntax with 'setTimeout()' does work indeed (at least in my FCI's:
iMacros for FF v8.8.2, Pale Moon v26.3.3 (=FF47), Win10-x64
+ iMacros for FF v8.9.7, FF47, Win10-x64
)...!!
This is very good news for FF Users like me, because that opens the door (again) to Conditional PROMPT's in a much more easy way than the Workaround I had posted a few months ago which misuses some Bug on the Clipboard and can only handle Display PROMPT's while your Syntax will probably work as well for 'confirm()' and I forgot the name of the 3rd similar JS DialogBox Function to be able to handle Input PROMPT's.

And the funny thing is that I had tried as well about 2 years ago to use 'setTimeout()' on the Advice of a Friend of mine who's a nerdy/freaky JavaScript Guru to try to find a Workaround but I had not succeeded to get 'setTimeout()' really to work directly and I didn't want to bother him too much so I didn't insist (and I didn't need the Functionality for myself at that time), but he was right, ah-ah...!
I actually thank indirectly all my Knowledge on iMacros to that Friend as we've been competing for 10 years now on some "stupid" Internet Game where I did/do all my Automation using iMacros and he using pure JavaScript, ah-ah...!

:twisted: :twisted: A Big Thanks @iimfun for your Workaround, ah-ah...! :D :twisted: :twisted:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
chivracq

by comp3v on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:35 pm

indeed, when I've switched to 8.9.7, workaround with setTimeout works! Thank you @iimfun for this solution!
comp3v

by chivracq on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:50 pm

comp3v wrote:indeed, when I've switched to 8.9.7, workaround with setTimeout works! Thank you @iimfun for this solution!

OK, pfff, one more "Bug" then for v9.0.3, hum some Developer is beginning to deserve some Spanking I'm afraid...! :shock: , the List of Limitations/Bugs for this Version keeps becoming well, nearly "unlimited", ah-ah...!

But OK, seriously @OP, I hope you understood the Importance of mentioning your FCI when you open a Thread, I won't even react to your Thread next time you open a new one if you don't mention it... 8)

And yep, Thanks again to @iimfun, I've mentioned your new Workaround in the "main" Thread about "the Subject", ah-ah...!
chivracq

by iimfun on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:11 am

chivracq wrote:Thanks again to @iimfun, I've mentioned your new Workaround ...

Why did I think that it had been already tested since that time?..
But Okay. To be continued anyway.
iimfun

by chivracq on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:19 pm

iimfun wrote:
chivracq wrote:Thanks again to @iimfun, I've mentioned your new Workaround ...

Why did I think that it had been already tested since that time?..
But Okay. To be continued anyway.

Oh yep indeed, I had checked/tested your first Solution which indeed didn't work on FF, but OP in "that" Thread never mentioned their FCI like I had asked them so I didn't follow that Thread anymore and you were dealing with it anyway and I apparently missed your Reply that was meant for me, I would have of course confirmed that your second Solution did work on FF... (I will now update that other Thread, Thanks for pointing to it...)
chivracq

Return to iMacros for Firefox