Make iMacros click on a specific link

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Make iMacros click on a specific link

by DocMarten on Wed May 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi there,

I'm completely new to iMacros and scripting, the only programming languages I learned so far are Delphi and VisualBasic... not very helpful now at all :lol:

I need your help with a dynamic website. I thought it would be very easy, but I find out that it is not :(

The Macro should only do these things:

- click on a link on a specific position in the browser (can this be done by using x/y-coordinates?). The problem here is, that the name of the link is changing everytime, but the position on the screen stays the same
- then click on another specific position to return to the previous menu

Perhaps there is an easy way for you folks to help me out here :)

Thanks in advance!
DocMarten

Re: Make iMacros click on a specific link

by chivracq on Thu May 18, 2017 6:47 am

DocMarten wrote:Hi there,

I'm completely new to iMacros and scripting, the only programming languages I learned so far are Delphi and VisualBasic... not very helpful now at all :lol:

I need your help with a dynamic website. I thought it would be very easy, but I find out that it is not :(

The Macro should only do these things:

- click on a link on a specific position in the browser (can this be done by using x/y-coordinates?). The problem here is, that the name of the link is changing everytime, but the position on the screen stays the same
- then click on another specific position to return to the previous menu

Perhaps there is an easy way for you folks to help me out here :)

Thanks in advance!

- CIM...! :mrgreen: (Always mention your FCI when you open a Thread, read my Sig..., many Commands are not implemented for all Browsers/Versions...)

- Try to select the correct Sub-Forum when you open a Thread, the 'iMacros for FF' Sub-Forum is meant for Pb's specific to only FF, meaning you already have a Script working on other Browsers, or if you use '.js' Scripts, which doesn't seem to be the case, especially if you don't even mention your FCI... Correct Sub-Forum would have been the 'General' one... (But no need to duplicate...!)

Well, if you already know Delphi and VB, that's already a big "Plus", iMacros (Native) Language is much easier and simpler than VB for example.

Your Post is a bit vague and "too" generic, iMacros depends heavily on the HTML Structure of a specific Page so it's difficult to help you if you don't post any Script and don't post the URL of your Site/Page...

Well, concerning the 'CLICK X/Y' Mode, tja...!, simply try it, you will find out quickly if it works, I would think...!
But I don't know what Version you are using, but the 'X/Y RECORD' Mode has been removed from v9.0.3 for FF, you would need v8.9.7 to record, or use some external "Tool" to identify the Coordinates manually, or use the 'EVENT' Mode instead which is supposed to supersede the 'CLICK' Mode.

But the 'CLICK X/Y' Mode should always be used with "Caution", it is not very "reliable" as it depends on Window Size, Screen Resolution, visible part of your Screen, especially if some Scrolling is required or if you have any Side Panel like the iMacros or Bookmarks or History Side-Panels open, and of course if any Content is added/removed to/from the Page which will make the Coordinates change directly...!
It is usually more reliable to try to identify some (other) (unique) Attributes for your Element (=> your Link in your case), or to use "Relative Positioning" with some other Element that will always be there and won't change and that you can use as Anchor... :idea:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Return to iMacros for Firefox