Macro Files Disappeared?

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Macro Files Disappeared?

by theengineer on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:49 am

OS Windows 7
Firefox 55.0.3 (32-bit)
imacros 9.0.3

Hello everyone,

I am very new to imacros and coding so bear with me please!

So I created a bunch of imacros, I was developing them into a single final product which I was several days into the process.
I accidentally tried to rename (Favorites) folder in the imacros plugin list from Firefox browser.

When I clicked on rename bottom, it became unresponsive for a second or two then all my macros Disappeared.
I tried searching my entire computer nothing found, tried recuva nothing found, tried windows restore only one file recovered.
is there anyway else to actually resolve this problem. why does imacros delete or vanish file with out permission anyway.
It is really getting frustrated I don't really want to do it all over again.
please advice.
theengineer

Re: Macro Files Disappeared?

by chivracq on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:52 am

theengineer wrote:
Code: Select all
OS Windows 7
Firefox 55.0.3 (32-bit)
imacros 9.0.3

Hello everyone,

I am very new to imacros and coding so bear with me please!

So I created a bunch of imacros, I was developing them into a single final product which I was several days into the process.
I accidentally tried to rename (Favorites) folder in the imacros plugin list from Firefox browser.

When I clicked on rename bottom, it became unresponsive for a second or two then all my macros Disappeared.
I tried searching my entire computer nothing found, tried recuva nothing found, tried windows restore only one file recovered.
is there anyway else to actually resolve this problem. why does imacros delete or vanish file with out permission anyway.
It is really getting frustrated I don't really want to do it all over again.
please advice.

Hum..., I recently did some Testing for a similar Case, see the following Thread if that can help..., but hum, I used 'Recuva' indeed to recover the Macros and it worked...:
- Re: Folders Deleted Accidentally - Help Needed
Check the Thread for the Steps to follow and "Precautions" to take... And good luck...
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by theengineer on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:08 am

Well unfortunately none of the procedures worked, all in all I think the recuva option is the best but you should do it straight away which I did not :| .
I better back up everything next time to save all that hassle.
theengineer

by chivracq on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 am

theengineer wrote:Well unfortunately none of the procedures worked, all in all I think the recuva option is the best but you should do it straight away which I did not :| .
I better back up everything next time to save all that hassle.

Oh...!, sorry to hear about that...! :(

But yep, regular Backups is always a "Good Practice", and not only for iMacros, ah-ah...!

Hum..., and stg I realized that maybe played a Role as well is that I don't use the Default Location for all iMacros Folders in some '\Users\xxx\My Docs\...' Directory on the 'C:\' Drive which gets a lot of Write Activity from the OS/Browser Cache/All Programs/etc, but some "dedicated" Directory on my 'D:\' Partition which gets very little Write Activity. Following my Example could be a "Good Practice" as well...

But OK, I maintain a List of Enhancement Requests in the following Thread, I thought I had already added an Item about this 'Rename'/'Remove' Process which has already generated several Threads on the Forum, but nope, so I just added it now: Item_18:
- Feedback - Take the iMacros Add-on(s) Survey!
-18- 'Remove' Macro: Send deleted Macro(s)/Folder(s) to the OS Recycle Bin first instead of deleting them permanently directly...!
The 'Remove' Option is very close to the 'Rename' Option in the Right Click Menu, "Rename" and "Remove" look and sound very similar, => call 'Remove' "Delete" instead, and add a Separator between 'Rename' and 'Remove'/'Delete'.
Or make that 'Remove' first sends the Macros/Folders to some special 'Trash' Folder, and Macros/Folders can then only be "really" deleted from that 'Trash' Folder...
(Several Threads on the Forum about Users clicking by mistake on 'Remove' while they wanted to rename their Macro/Folder and losing permanently their Macro(s)...)

Feel Free to bump that EnhReq Thread of mine to "support" it, the more Users ask/complain about some Feature, the more chance we make to see it implemented, I cannot make "Things" move by myself... (And review the List with "my" other 17 EnhReq's, maybe you'll find a few other ones "Interesting" as well...)
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Return to iMacros for Firefox