Copy all text from a text/csv file

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Copy all text from a text/csv file

by babarali124 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi guys,

I am really new to imacros and I have come up with some automation script. Although I have completed everything but there is something that i cannot figure out.

I want to use all the text from keyword.txt file.. there is a textarea that i want to fill with the keyword.txt file, so all the data in keywords.txt file should be pasted into the textarea, according to my code, it is just pasting only the first record. then goes to the next field. Can anyone also explain what does Loop2 mean ? I just searched the forum and found how to get data from txt file but couldnt understand the logic behind.
SET !LOOP 2
SET !DATASOURCE_LINE {{!loop}}

Code: Select all
VERSION BUILD=9030808 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:BUTTON ATTR=ID:CampaignsGrid_create
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:Visits<SP>to<SP>my<SP>website
WAIT SECONDS=3
TAG POS=6 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=* CONTENT=campaign<SP>name2
TAG POS=7 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=* CONTENT=5
TAG POS=2 TYPE=INPUT:RADIO ATTR=NAME:targetOptions
WAIT SECONDS=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON ATTR=TXT:Save<SP>&<SP>go<SP>to<SP>the<SP>next<SP>step
WAIT SECONDS=3
TAG POS=13 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=* CONTENT=abc.com
TAG POS=14 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=* CONTENT=ad-group
SET !DATASOURCE keywords.txt
SET !LOOP 2
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=CLASS:keyword-textarea*form-control* CONTENT={{!COL1}}
WAIT SECONDS=2
WAIT SECONDS=5
TAG POS=1 TYPE=A ATTR=TXT:Create<SP>ad
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=NAME:FinalUrls CONTENT=fdfdfdf.com
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=NAME:Ad.ExpandedTextAd.TitlePart1 CONTENT=dsgsdgsd
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=NAME:Ad.ExpandedTextAd.TitlePart2 CONTENT=dgsdgdsg
WAIT SECONDS=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=NAME:Ad.ExpandedTextAd.AdDescription CONTENT=dsgsdgsdgsdg
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=NAME:MobileFinalUrls CONTENT=abc.com
WAIT SECONDS=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=NAME:Ad.ExpandedTextAd.Path1 CONTENT=353
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=NAME:Ad.ExpandedTextAd.Path2 CONTENT=535
WAIT SECONDS=1
TAG POS=11 TYPE=INPUT:BUTTON ATTR=*
WAIT SECONDS=5
TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON ATTR=TXT:Save
babarali124

Re: Copy all text from a text/csv file

by chivracq on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:39 pm

babarali124 wrote:Hi guys,

I am really new to imacros and I have come up with some automation script. Although I have completed everything but there is something that i cannot figure out.

I want to use all the text from keyword.txt file.. there is a textarea that i want to fill with the keyword.txt file, so all the data in keywords.txt file should be pasted into the textarea, according to my code, it is just pasting only the first record. then goes to the next field. Can anyone also explain what does Loop2 mean ? I just searched the forum and found how to get data from txt file but couldnt understand the logic behind.
SET !LOOP 2

TAB T=1
WAIT SECONDS=3
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=3
SET !DATASOURCE keywords.txt
SET !LOOP 2
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=CLASS:keyword-textarea*form-control* CONTENT={{!COL1}}
WAIT SECONDS=2
WAIT SECONDS=5
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=NAME:Ad.ExpandedTextAd.TitlePart1 CONTENT=dsgsdgsd
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=NAME:Ad.ExpandedTextAd.TitlePart2 CONTENT=dgsdgdsg
WAIT SECONDS=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=NAME:Ad.ExpandedTextAd.AdDescription CONTENT=dsgsdgsdgsdg
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=5

Hum..., should I call you "Stupido-de-Luxe" or are you going one day to read my 2 Replies on your 2 previous Threads...!? :roll:
=> Same Reply for this one, sorry...!! :roll:
+ No Follow-up at all on those 2 previous Threads... :roll:
Sorry, but what's the point of opening Threads and asking Qt's if you never follow up on your Threads when other (Advanced) Users try to help you...!? :?

And if my "Msg" one day reaches your "Brain", you'll first need to handle and finish correctly your 2 previous Threads for me to want to help you in this one... (+ bump this Thread in 3 months eventually which is the time I've been waiting for some some Follow-up on your 1st Thread + a Reminder in your 2nd one...)

[The 'Stupido-de-Luxe" is no real Offense, only meant as some "semi-Joke" to try to wake you up a little bit..., your Response/Answer-Rate on our Forum is still at 0%, follow my "Advice" a bit if you want some Help..., or you can try SOF, nobody will bash you there for not mentioning your FCI/Env., all Users craving for Rep-Points there... :idea: ]

Hum..., I read your Post..., and euh..., "I am really new to imacros", while you've already been around on the Forum for 3 months..., it took me less than 30 min 10 years ago when I first discovered iMacros for my very-very first Script to work with what you want..., so maybe we can drop the "-de-Luxe", oops...! Awake now...!? :wink:

But hum, 3rd time you open a Thread, will be the last time I get "aroused" and react, ah-ah...! :evil:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by babarali124 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Thank you for pointing out my mistakes, I really appreciate it. I will contribute and folliw up my threads. I have read your signature and below are the details

Firefox browser
Imacros 6
Windows 10
babarali124

by chivracq on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:49 pm

babarali124 wrote:Thank you for pointing out my mistakes, I really appreciate it. I will contribute and folliw up my threads. I have read your signature and below are the details

Firefox browser
Imacros 6
Windows 10

OK, good , that's a "Start"... Some Follow-up for once...! :D

But hum... sorry, this part doesn't make sense...:
Firefox browser
Imacros 6

Sorry, check your Versions... :idea:
The Script you posted mentions iMacros for FF v9.0.3, I don't see the Link with iMacros v6...!?

Put a little bit of "Effort" in it, "iMacros 6" is maybe 8 or 10 years old now, what's the "Connection" with "Firefox browser" if you don't even bother to mention the FF Version...!? :roll:

Hum, without saying that if you are indeed really using iMacros v6, you should be answering by now all Threads on the Forum at some +2/+3 Level above me...! Should we swap...!? :wink:
=> Hum..., you give me some funny/interesting Idea, ah-ah...! Oops...!

>>>

Hum, and first follow up and finish your previous Threads correctly for me to follow up and want to help you on this one, I only reacted here because it was the first time you followed up on one of your Threads..., but I won't be trying to help you concretely on this one until you've handled and finished your 2 previous Threads "a bit correctly" :idea:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
chivracq

by babarali124 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:39 am

Thank you I have followed up my previous threads as one was solved and the other wasnt, then the development was left for it. Lastly about the imacros version yes you are right its version 9. It was my mistake that I accidently well te version 6 because as mentioned I got a code of datasource that contained the version 6 , so I stated that, anyways its version 9 in my imacros script.
babarali124

by chivracq on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:21 pm

babarali124 wrote:Thank you I have followed up my previous threads as one was solved and the other wasnt, then the development was left for it. Lastly about the imacros version yes you are right its version 9. It was my mistake that I accidently well te version 6 because as mentioned I got a code of datasource that contained the version 6 , so I stated that, anyways its version 9 in my imacros script.

Yep, I saw the "Follow-up" on your 2 previous Threads, and I posted a Reply/Comment... I'm still not very "impressed" by the "Quality" of your Threads and how you use the Forum, I'll still help you on this one but don't be surprised if I don't try anymore for future Threads...

OK, about your FCI..., hum, mentioning 3 Versions seems to be a bit too complicated I see, the FF Version is still missing, but OK, I'm a bit "tired" of asking, so I'll make a "wild" Guess and that will be "good enough" for this Thread...:
=> Probable FCI:
iMacros for FF v9.0.3, FF55...?, Win10.

OK, about your Qt to include the whole Content of your '.TXT' File (= the DataSource indeed) instead of only 1 Row, well, yep, normal, '{{!COL1}}' retrieves the Content of one "Cell" for a specific "Row" specified by '!DATASOURCE_LINE' which usually will get incremented by '!LOOP'.
(And "SET !LOOP 2" means that you want your Script to start looping through your DataSource from Row_2, usually for '.CSV' Files with a Header for the Column Names in them...)

There are several Techniques/Solutions for what you want... 8)
- Option_1:
Depending a bit on the Number of "Rows" (= Lines) in your '.TXT' File, say for up to 5 or 10 Lines and if that Nb is a bit "fixed", you can hard-code '!DATASOURCE_LINE' (instead of basing it on '!LOOP') and repeat the same Block 5 to 10 times to fetch '!COL1' and store it into some Temp Var before reusing it for your final Goal.

- Option_2:
If the Nb of Lines is higher, you might need to loop your Script indeed until you've retrieved the whole Content of the '.TXT' File, including some "Mechanism" if the Nb of Lines is not fixed, and only for the last Row/Line, do the Paste part on the Site, meaning you must play with "Nested Loops" and "mute" the Paste part in your Script until the last Loop.
You'll find an Example of a similar Scenario in the following recent Thread, with a complete Script:
- Re: How to use EVAL to Stop the Macro when there is no Next?
That Thread is actually a bit the "Opposite" of yours, a Google Search needs to take place only on Loop_1, and gets deactivated for all further Loops, but the Principle is the same...

One "Difficulty" with this Approach is that '!VARn' and User Defined Vars get reset by Design between each Loop, but you'll need a Mechanism for your Script to keep in Memory the Content of the Lines already fetched from the '.TXT' File. You can use the OS Clipboard for that with the '!CLIPBOARD' Var, or you can use another Temp '.TXT' File for 'SAVEAS' + a secondary DataSource, and for each Loop you will need to retrieve the Temp Content already fetched, delete the Temp File, add the new Line from the primary DataSource, and re-save the new Content to the Temp File. And if you want to keep the original Layout with the Line Breaks in the Text, you'll need to add some kind of custom Separator that you will reconvert to Line Breaks before the final Paste.
As you can see/feel, this Approach is a bit cumbersome, and I wouldn't surprised if I already lost you, ah-ah...! Hum..., and the OS tends to get a bit confused as well with multiple File Delete + Recreate on the same File.

- Option_3:
A bit more "Standard" Approach would be like Option_2 but using a '.js' Script, from which you can handle the Looping through all Rows in the '.TXT' File and the Nested Loop for the final Row for the Paste + the Storage of the Temp Content between each Loop.
This Approach works fine and quick enough for maybe until 20 Lines/Rows in your '.TXT', but it would require 2-3 min to fetch the whole Data if your '.TXT' had 1000 Lines/Rows.

- Option_4:
This Approach (in pure '.iim' again) is described in the following Thread, with complete Script, and is simply based on opening your '.TXT' File in a 2nd TAB and extracting its whole Content with just one 'EXTRACT' Statement, and is also the quickest, with less than 0.5 sec for 1000 Rows...:
- Re: Get number of lines from CSV and use as variable?
(Link goes directly to my Post in the Thread with the Script...)

OK, your Choice now for which Approach you choose, and there might be as well some other Ways, I only mention 4 I could quickly think of without "torturing" myself too much as I'm not really motivated to do much in-depth Thinking for your Case from your "poor" Use of the Forum until now, and I guess expecting you to follow up and mention which Approach you chose and to share your Final Script will probably be too much to ask/expect... OK, never mind, enjoy anyway, and good luck, ah-ah...! 8)
chivracq

by babarali124 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Thank you very very much for giving me so many options to go with. And I found the last option to extract data from the text file was best, so I went to the thread and checked the code, first it I felt lost but then after trying and changing stuff, I finally got it working, so below is the final script and it works just fine now . I really appreciate your help and without it I this would not be possible ever.

Extracting data code
TAB OPEN
TAB T=2
URL GOTO=file:///C:\Users\Ali\Documents\iMacros\Datasources\keywords.txt
TAG POS=1 TYPE=PRE ATTR=* EXTRACT=TXT
SET Last_Row_Nb EVAL("'{{!EXTRACT}}'.split('###').length-2;")
TAB T=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=CLASS:keyword-textarea*form-control* CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}

TAB T=1
WAIT SECONDS=3
WAIT SECONDS=3
WAIT SECONDS=3
WAIT SECONDS=3
TAB OPEN
TAB T=2
TAB T=1
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=CLASS:keyword-textarea*form-control* CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
WAIT SECONDS=2
WAIT SECONDS=5
WAIT SECONDS=5
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=5
babarali124

by chivracq on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:25 pm

babarali124 wrote:Thank you very very much for giving me so many options to go with. And I found the last option to extract data from the text file was best, so I went to the thread and checked the code, first it I felt lost but then after trying and changing stuff, I finally got it working, so below is the final script and it works just fine now . I really appreciate your help and without it I this would not be possible ever.

Extracting data code
TAB OPEN
TAB T=2
TAB T=1

TAB T=1
WAIT SECONDS=3
WAIT SECONDS=3
WAIT SECONDS=3
WAIT SECONDS=3
TAB OPEN
TAB T=2
TAB T=1
WAIT SECONDS=2
WAIT SECONDS=5
WAIT SECONDS=5
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=1
WAIT SECONDS=5

Yep..., very good...! And Thanks for sharing your final Script... :D

You don't really need the 'EVAL()' Statement for the Var I had called "Last_Row_Nb", the other Thread was about counting and identifying the last Row in the DataSource but you don't really care about that, and that Mechanism wouldn't work for you anyway, as it requires adding an extra Column to your DataSource with all Cells in that Column containing the same arbitrary "###" String that I then reused as a Separator to count the Rows.
chivracq

by babarali124 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Yes, I figured out , i really didnt need those two lones. Thanks for explaining
babarali124

Return to iMacros for Firefox