Save all links in a page as text files

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on.

Moderator: iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Save all links in a page as text files

by gilitelem on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:41 am

Hi,

I'd like to go through all the links in a certain page, and save each of the destinations (html pages) as a txt file (like the Save page as -> txt option on Firefox).

I will greatly appreciate your help since I'm obviously an newbie...

Thanks,
Gili
gilitelem

Re: Save all links in a page as text files

by Tech Support on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:04 am

Well, it can be done but would require extensive use of Javascript scripting: http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Fir ... _Interface

Can I ask why you need all links? Maybe there is a good workaround.
Tech Support

Re: Save all links in a page as text files

by gilitelem on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:27 am

Well... here's the full story.

We have an old online forum which, believe it or not, lacks a search feature.

I used an offline browsing program to download a couple of hundreds of forum pages, and I would like to let some desktop search program (i.e. Google Desktop, Copernic) index them for me.
The problem is the pages are not indexed properly in their original HTML format. I guess it has something to do with the "ugly" HTML format of the forum, which makes the desktop search programs disregard most of the text.
Luckily, indexing works fine after saving each forum page as a text file (using Firefox File>Save Page As).
Unfortunately, I can't do that manually for all the files, so I created a list of links to all the downloaded pages (local links) and would like to run some simple script to go over the list and do that for me.

Thanks!
gilitelem

Return to iMacros for Firefox