Stop multiple login attempts to avoid lockout

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Stop multiple login attempts to avoid lockout

by zirjeo on Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 pm

IE 11, Windows 10, VERSION BUILD=11.5.498.2403

What is the best way to go about this? I ended up locking myself out of my account today, says too many attempts. The password I have in the macros is definitely correct as I had successfully logged in manually. I have been logging into the site for a year now using macros with no issues, this just started happening today when I had to update my password as it had expired. From what tech support had hinted at it sounds like they may have updated their security coding, something to do with that international virus going around. I'm thinking maybe the site didn't like the speed of the login attempts? Or the fact that I had multiple instances open using the same login. Neither of these have been an issue before.

I was thinking these items below would help but it did not work as I was locked out a 2nd time.

WAIT SECONDS=2
SET !TIMEOUT_STEP 0
WIndows 10, IE11, VERSION BUILD=11.5.498.2403
zirjeo

Re: Stop multiple login attempts to avoid lockout

by chivracq on Thu May 18, 2017 8:14 am

zirjeo wrote:
Code: Select all
IE 11, Windows 10, VERSION BUILD=11.5.498.2403

What is the best way to go about this? I ended up locking myself out of my account today, says too many attempts. The password I have in the macros is definitely correct as I had successfully logged in manually. I have been logging into the site for a year now using macros with no issues, this just started happening today when I had to update my password as it had expired. From what tech support had hinted at it sounds like they may have updated their security coding, something to do with that international virus going around. I'm thinking maybe the site didn't like the speed of the login attempts? Or the fact that I had multiple instances open using the same login. Neither of these have been an issue before.

I was thinking these items below would help but it did not work as I was locked out a 2nd time.

WAIT SECONDS=2
SET !TIMEOUT_STEP 0

Ah-ah...!, sounds like I have "traumatized" you a bit earlier about mentioning your FCI when you open a Thread... Perfect...! :D

Well, try debugging your Script a bit manually with '!SINGLESTEP', the HTML Structure of the Page might have changed as well, you would need to re-record that part and compare with your current Code...

But hum, your 2 Statements
WAIT SECONDS=2
and
SET !TIMEOUT_STEP 0
look a bit "contradictory" to me, you could maybe rather play with '!REPLAYSPEED' set to "MEDIUM" (equivalent to 'WAIT=1sec' between each Statement) + '!TIMEOUT_STEP=1' for that Login part before resetting the Replay-Speed back to "FAST"...

You could add some Check to trigger a Conditional 'PROMPT' or a 'MacroError()' or 'FAIL_IF_FOUND' to pause/stop your Script if anything goes "wrong" after what you expect directly after the Login...

Some Step further (it's getting a bit cumbersome and nearly "paranoid" ah-ah, but I use that Technique myself) if you reuse that Script for several Instances/Sessions on that same Site is to implement your own kind of a "Cookie" if the form of a mini-TEMP File used as a "Flag" containing the last Login Info with Timestamp and "Success" or "Fail" and have your Script to check on that Flag before attempting to log in and to abort it of course if it finds any "Fail" in it.
But that Technique requires some "clever" Use of '!DATASOURCE' + Read Content + Take Action ('MacroError()' + Store and manipulate Content of '!EXTRACT' yourself + 'FILEDELETE' + 'SAVEAS' with old or new Content, and in your Case you might even need to implement it twice (before and after the Login) if you abort your Macro, you want to make sure that you saved the Flag again before the Abort.
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by zirjeo on Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 am

Ok thanks for your input, I guess there is no simple solution to this. I would experiment with those options, but unfortunately when I get locked out it locks me out for quite a while as they are slow to fix it. I think I may just have it save the password to clipboard, ill paste it in and manually hit submit, I don't have to login too often so I guess it's a decent workaround.
zirjeo

by chivracq on Thu May 18, 2017 9:19 am

zirjeo wrote:Ok thanks for your input, I guess there is no simple solution to this. I would experiment with those options, but unfortunately when I get locked out it locks me out for quite a while as they are slow to fix it. I think I may just have it save the password to clipboard, ill paste it in and manually hit submit, I don't have to login too often so I guess it's a decent workaround.

OK...

You can put a 'PAUSE' in your Script as well to handle that part a bit "manually", but that's more or less the same like '!SINGLESTEP'...
Good luck...

I'll be interested to hear if you find out a more definitive/reliable Solution...
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
chivracq

by zirjeo on Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Today I was manually putting in the password and clicking submit and it still ended up locking me out, again. I still had macros inputting the username so now I'm going to manually input the user as well and see if it still does it. I'm really thinking it was picking up on the speed of the username being filled out, as if it has new coding detection of possible bots. I don't know what else it could be it's really stumping me. It's also costing me money because I get paid per file, that's the worst part about it.
zirjeo

by chivracq on Thu May 18, 2017 1:56 pm

zirjeo wrote:Today I was manually putting in the password and clicking submit and it still ended up locking me out, again. I still had macros inputting the username so now I'm going to manually input the user as well and see if it still does it. I'm really thinking it was picking up on the speed of the username being filled out, as if it has new coding detection of possible bots. I don't know what else it could be it's really stumping me. It's also costing me money because I get paid per file, that's the worst part about it.

You could use the 'EVENT' Mode as well for typing the Login & Password as the 'EVENT' Mode types its Input Char by Char and is much slower than the 'TAG' Mode, a bit like Human Speed to type stg...
But if you were using any Login/Password Manager, either from the Browser directly or from some external Tool/Add-on, L&P get filled in automatically in a few milliseconds, so you don't need any Bot/Script to fill in your Credentials very quickly for some Site..., so they can't use that as a "Criteria" for locking you out...
chivracq

by zirjeo on Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 pm

You're gonna wanna chock me lol I forgot I had this separate java section in excel that was secretly logging in to save the files. That password was never updated. I am currently logged in but as soon as i get out i will be locked out again. Least I know why now. Sorry about that chivraqc :cry:
zirjeo

by chivracq on Thu May 18, 2017 2:45 pm

zirjeo wrote:You're gonna wanna chock me lol I forgot I had this separate java section in excel that was secretly logging in to save the files. That password was never updated. I am currently logged in but as soon as i get out i will be locked out again. Least I know why now. Sorry about that chivraqc :cry:

Ah-ah...!, I'm not surprised, I actually thought of adding to my last Post to ask you if you were sure you only had ONE (iMacros) Script logging in to that Site and if by any chance you had not forgotten some "other" Script that was still trying to log in with the old Password, but I didn't dare to mention it as I thought it was so obvious, ah-ah...! :wink:
chivracq

by zirjeo on Thu May 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Ya this will be 7th time i got locked out. Im not supposed to be using macros at all, or at least I don't think they would approve. So now I have to come up with an excuse as to why ive been locking myself out. I could just like all other 6 times say I got locked out and not give an explanation. Or was thinking maybe just say problem solved I had a malfunctioning key on my keyboard. lol
zirjeo

by chivracq on Thu May 18, 2017 5:21 pm

zirjeo wrote:Ya this will be 7th time i got locked out. Im not supposed to be using macros at all, or at least I don't think they would approve. So now I have to come up with an excuse as to why ive been locking myself out. I could just like all other 6 times say I got locked out and not give an explanation. Or was thinking maybe just say problem solved I had a malfunctioning key on my keyboard. lol

Well the Auto-Sync from Excel doesn't sound too bad I would think, and at least you can now tell them that you know where it comes from and that it should be the last time you are going to "harass" them, ah-ah...! :idea:

And when your Account gets locked out, they should send some Mail-Notification with Info about Timestamp + IP-Address + Browser/Application anyway... + You should be able to access all you previous Sessions/Connections Info from some Page on their Site...
chivracq

Return to General Support & Discussions