Fix for iMacros for Chrome "Chrome 35" issue available

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Google Chrome extension.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Fix for iMacros for Chrome "Chrome 35" issue available

by Tech Support on Tue May 27, 2014 9:10 am

A beta version with a fix is available at http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Chrome#Installation

We also submitted the fix to the Chrome gallery, but it might take a few hours - few days before it gets reviewed. Meanwhile please test this beta release and inform us of any issues that you might have. Just reply to this post!

Note that there is a big change regarding file access:

iMacros for Chrome used a NPAPI plugin internally to access the file system. And because Chrome extensions can no longer use the NPAPI (since May 2014) we have to provide the alternative solution - using the new NativeMessaging API of Chrome.

This means the default install of iMacros for Chrome V8 and higher allows you to only store macros in bookmarks. If you want to store the macros in text files on your hard drive, please install one of the free file access enhancements.

Also see How to install an extension from outside the Chrome gallery
Tech Support

Re: Fix for iMacros for Chrome "Chrome 35" issue available

by SBH_04 on Wed May 28, 2014 1:17 am

Thanks, this fixed the error with Chrome 35. Anyway there occur two more problems.

1) Successfully installed iMacros 8.04 and the file manager plugin, but now I can't click anything in the iMacros window. I restarted chrome but it didn't help.

2) On an other MacBook I installed exactly the same versions but no Macros show up in list of iMacros

Any idea ?
SBH_04

by Originelespaceapp on Wed May 28, 2014 5:39 am

SBH_04 wrote:Thanks, this fixed the error with Chrome 35. Anyway there occur two more problems.

1) Successfully installed iMacros 8.04 and the file manager plugin, but now I can't click anything in the iMacros window. I restarted chrome but it didn't help.

2) On an other MacBook I installed exactly the same versions but no Macros show up in list of iMacros

Any idea ?

I had the same issue
I use a subst command to assign a P: drive since I try to keep generally the same macro's together

But now using P:\iMacros\Macros shows up as empty
but when I assign the complete path like:
C:\data\iMacros\Macros
then the macro's that are stored there do show up.

I hope this feature will be fixed soon :)
Originelespaceapp

by SBH_04 on Wed May 28, 2014 6:08 am

Originelespaceapp wrote:
SBH_04 wrote:Thanks, this fixed the error with Chrome 35. Anyway there occur two more problems.

Any idea ?

I had the same issue
I use a subst command to assign a P: drive since I try to keep generally the same macro's together

But now using P:\iMacros\Macros shows up as empty
but when I assign the complete path like:
C:\data\iMacros\Macros
then the macro's that are stored there do show up.

I hope this feature will be fixed soon :)

I don't think this is a solution for my problem because it's a MacOS and there are no virtual hard drive directives. Thx anyway ;)
SBH_04

by Delalow on Wed May 28, 2014 7:18 am

Hi, Tech Support

Thanks so much for fix it, here are working great.
But the imacros stoped to work in Comodo Dragon, i have instaled the imacros beta version and the File Access but are not working in the Comodo Dragon.
I prefer use the Como Dragon because is more faster.

Thanks
Delalow

by wineguy on Wed May 28, 2014 9:44 am

Still not working here - I am on MAC OSX V.10.9.2, using Chrome Version 35.0.1916.114. After installing file access, I get the side bar with macros, but when I choose one I still cannot click anything (play macro, edit, etc. - nothing works).
wineguy

by Vitae on Wed May 28, 2014 2:53 pm

I go from 20% Physical Memory to 96% as soon as I installed this "fix" iMacrosCrFileAccess-Setup-Beta
wow...completely froze up my laptop and I had to force it to shut off because NOTHING was working on it in the least.
So, when it comes down to it, iMacros on Chrome is dead? Pointless to even use it when it won't work unless I feel like having this slow my laptop to complete uselessness.
Or do I have to use Firefox to create the macros and then save them as bookmarks and transfer them to Chrome? Which is completely useless because you can't loop a bookmark.

EDIT: Ok, wait...so I CAN loop a bookmark under the bookmark tab in iMacros? Is a bookmark in anyway limited in comparison to how it run normally? like using csv's will run?

EDIT 2: In answer, NOPE, can't use csv's so it renders nearly all my scripts to junk and I'm forced to use the piece of sludge known as FireFox. Great. *sigh*
Vitae

by alavarre on Fri May 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi thanks, but it doesn't work for me:
Linux openSUSE 13.1
ChromiUM (not Chrome, rather the developmental Chromium) Version 34.0.1847.132 (265804)
iMacros (latest version, installed today 4.30.14, can't find the version number)

Actions completed:
Followed the instructions at http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Chrome#Installation:
+ removed and reinstalled iMacros
+ downloaded and un-tarred the ...fio archive
+ Moved the ...fio directory to the location of iMacros on my HD (/data/develop/macros/imacros/)
+ both as root and user executed ./install.sh from the command line. It doesn't do anything except move to the prompt.
+ Also tried uninstall.sh followed by install.sh
OPENED IMACROS: MANAGE > SETTINGS to arrive at
chrome-extension://cplklnmnlbnpmjogncfgfijoopmnlemp/options.html
Try to adjust iMacros settings > Path settings > Macros directory path.

It throws an error:
chrome-extension://cplklnmnlbnpmjogncfgfijoopmnlemp/browse.html
Install file access support first

So obviously the API fix failed to install. Again, I've tried this both as user and as root

Restarting Chromium, indeed, rebooting, does not resolve the problem. dmesg does not show any weird events. I've pushed the car back up from the cliff several times, with the same results...

I'll be pleased to experiment and report back, but I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance, Andy Lavarre
alavarre

by alavarre on Fri May 30, 2014 6:06 pm

One other point: I'm on 64bit openSUSE 13.1. The untarred ...fio directory contains:

andy@tm2t:/data/develop/macros/iMacros/imacros_fio> ls-l
total 396
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andy users 138104 May 27 11:26 afio-darwin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andy users 119850 May 27 11:26 afio-i386
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andy users 129164 May 27 11:26 afio-x86_64
-rw-r--r-- 1 andy users 385 May 27 11:26 com.iopus.imacros.fio.json
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andy users 1272 May 27 11:26 install.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andy users 611 May 27 11:26 uninstall.sh

So there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of afio. How does it decide the correct version of afio to run?

Also, the .json file is not executable. I made it executable but no change.

Cool program, have used it for years, hope we can get it fixed.

Thanks again, Andy
alavarre

by chivracq on Sat May 31, 2014 6:56 am

@alavarre/Andy:

I reckon you'll be at v8.05 for CR...
2 Ways to check your Version: Chromium/Tools/Extensions and start recording a Macro, the first Line of your Script gives you the Version and the Browser... (but you can't use the 2nd way, I guess...)

For your Problem, I think it will be the same like for Comodo Dragon. Dragon was not impacted by the CR35 Change and didn't have any Problem running iMacros for CR v7.02 and v7.03 but cannot run v8.04 and v8.05. (iMacros seems to be installed correctly, with the Demo Macros showing in the 'Bookmarks' Tab but they cannot be run nor edited (and the 'Record' and 'Manage' Tabs are disabled) and installing the FIOI does nothing...)

I think you should download and secure (like me!) iMacros v7.03 for CR before the Link on the iMacros for the CR Version History Page is changed to the Chrome Gallery, because it's a complete hassle afterwards to find older Versions of iMacros for CR as there is no Archive on Internet as it might very likely be the last Version of iMacros for CR that you can use on Chromium (and other Chrome based Browsers (yes, I know, for Chromium, it's the other way round...!)), unless/until TechSupport decides to make future Versions of iMacros for CR double-compatible for Chrome AND other Chrome based Browsers (unless/until those other Chrome based Browsers decide to follow the Change in CR35...).
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by alavarre on Sat May 31, 2014 12:05 pm

chivrac, hello, thank you. Brilliant.

I have downloaded imacros-7.03.crx and saved it safely for posterity...

But how did you install it?

I download the .crx, try to install it in any of three ways, none work:

1. Enter the URL (file:///Desktop/Downloads/imacros-7.03.crx) in the address box
2. Click on the download tab at the bottom of the Chromium Browser that shows the downloaded .crx file
3. Use chrome://extensions/ and select Developer Mode > Load unpacked extensions

The first two return Apps, Extensions, and Scripts cannot be loaded from this website.. I click on More Info to read that they are trying to protect me from myself, so only allow installation through the Extensions (i.e., the store) tab.

The last fails to recognize the .crx file.

Political correctness is killing the world. I am responsible for my own happiness. They should allow me to install anything I wish, and if it breaks it is then MY fault.

Grrr. >:-(

But they don't, so I need to figure a way around it... :-(

I read about Adding extensions from other websites (http://tinyurl.com/n6soqw7),
and http://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#ExtensionInstallSources
that says use the registry to change allowable URLs for Windows, but doesn't say how to do that for Linux/Mac. The key they change is
ExtensionInstallSources

They say it is in a json file in a common directory, but I do not find either associated with chromium, nor does Google...

Thank you again.

Kind regards, Andy
alavarre

by alavarre on Sat May 31, 2014 12:46 pm

Woohoo!! Thanks again for the inspiration. Here is the rabbit hole I went down; it works!

http://www.chromium.org/administrators/linux-quick-start

Policies are to be stored in the following directories that you must create if they do not already exist:
/etc/chromium/policies
/etc/chromium/policies/managed
/etc/chromium/policies/recommended

To set policies that are required, create a file named "xxx.json" in /etc/chromium/managed/

The policies are contained inZip file of ADM/ADMX templates and documentation. The one that affects Linux is in the Linux subfolder of the zip file.

This delivers chrome.json that I place in /etc/chromium/managed (as root) and edit it to uncomment:
"ExtensionInstallSources": ["file://Desktop/Downloads/*"],
(mind the quote marks) and then restart Chromium.

Now I can call file://Desktop/Downloads/imacros-7.03.crx from the Chromium address box and it happily installs.

Finally change the settings to point to wherever your macros have been saved, and you are ready.

It works!

Thanks again.

Cheers, Andy
alavarre

by chivracq on Sat May 31, 2014 3:10 pm

Good to hear, and thanks for your Feedback, my "assumptions" in my previous Post were only based on my own observation with Comodo Dragon (on Vin7-64), there are a few other Comodo Dragon Users on the Forum, but I think you are the first mentioning using Chromium with iMacros, so it's useful to get some Feedback from other Users like you did, and maybe that will motivate TechSupport to keep maintaining the iMacros v7.x for CR Branch... :roll:

On Dragon, I didn't have any problem to install the Extension(s) from the iMacros for CR Version History Page, by just downloading them locally and dragging & dropping them onto the Dragon Extension Page, without even checking the Developer's Mode. That even allowed me to have two Instances of iMacros in the Browser, one for the one from the Chrome Gallery and one for the manually installed, so at some point, I had v7.02 + v7.03, then v7.02 + v8.04, then v8.05 + v8.04, then I tried to downgrade v8.04 to v7.03 but I only get a Msg "Attempted to downgrade... <OK>" but it didn't work, so I removed v8.04 before reinstalling v7.03, so now I ended up with v8.05 and v7.03, and v7.03 works fine and v8.05 doesn't work.

It's a pity, when I had both v7.02 and v7.03 both installed and both working, that I didn't try to run 2 macros at the same time in the same Browser to see how the 2 Macros would fight for the Tabs and the Focus... :cry:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by alavarre on Sat May 31, 2014 4:20 pm

>It's a pity, when I had both v7.02 and v7.03 both installed and both working

Yes, I'm reminded of the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Now I need to figure out how to prevent iMacros from automatically updating. I do not remember getting any prompt saying that it was going to be "upgraded". It just sort of happened all of a sudden, and all of a sudden it no longer worked.

Thanks again. Cheers, Andy
alavarre

by Tech Support on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:52 am

Thanks for your patience while we fix some remaining issues on some systems!

-> Please continue to report problems with the new file access module. From reading this thread it seems we lack out of the box Chromium support and have issues on some flavors of Linux?

>>Yes, I'm reminded of the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Please keep in mind that we had to make this change as the Chrome team is disabling NPAPI support later this year. So old versions of iMacros for Chrome will stop working with new Chrome browser versions soon - see http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying ... npapi.html
Tech Support

Next

Return to iMacros for Chrome