extracting data from tables using TYPE=HTM

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

by Jat on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:20 am

HI ,

I am currently working on a project to extract data tables from various websites. The problem that i am having is as follows:

I extract the table using the type=htm method. In the user manual it specifies that by using this method you will be able to seperate certain data in the table that is seperated with <br> tags. After using the method i find that the data extracted does not have these tags and thus does not allow me to seperate it. Could someone please advise me of what i can do. Thank you. :lol:
Jat

by Tech Support on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:58 am

Can you post the URL of the web page and/or the Internet macro that creates the problem? This would allow me to quickly re-create the issue on our test systems.
Tech Support

Data Extraction

by Jat on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:26 am

I am trying to extract the data from the table into a txt file but it does not display the <br> tags.

The link

http://www.national.com/quality/green/compliance.cgi

My Macro

VERSION BUILD=4310722
TAB T=1
TAB CLOSEALLOTHERS
URL GOTO=http://www.national.com/quality/green/
SIZE X=1132 Y=879
SET !EXTRACT_TEST_POPUP NO
SET !DATASOURCE H:\ComponentDatabase\NatSemiPartNumbers.csv
SET !DATASOURCE_COLUMNS 1
SET !DATASOURCE_LINE {{!LOOP}}
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=NAME:complianceForm ATTR=NAME:nsid CONTENT={{!COL1}}
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=NAME:complianceForm ATTR=NAME:&&VALUE:Submit
EXTRACT POS=184 TYPE=HTM ATTR=<table>*
SAVEAS TYPE=EXTRACT FOLDER=H:\ComponentDatabase\NatSemi FILE={{!COL1}}_{{!NOW:yymmdd_hhmmss}}.txt
SAVEAS TYPE=BMP FOLDER=H:\ComponentDatabase\NatSemi FILE={{!COL1}}_{{!NOW:yyyymmdd_hhnnss}}.bmp
Jat

Part Number

by Jat on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:27 am

Please put this into the field to get the table

LM10CWM
Jat

ANY NEWS <br> tags not displaying

by Jat on Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:38 am

has any found a solution to the problems with displaying <br> tags when extracting tables using the HTM function. If someone could help me ASAP it would be very much appreciated
Jat

by Tech Support on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:16 pm

SAVEAS TYPE=HTM... keeps the <BR> in place, but the SAVEAS TYPE=EXTRACT does NOT save the HTML tags to the file. It saves the table in CSV format (text only). If you want to access the table with the <br> and all other HTML elements in place you need to access the data through the Scripting Interface:

i = iim1.iimPlay ("your_macro")

s = iim1.iimGetLastExtract()

s contains the data you need!

Note: If you use the Scripting Interface, I recommend that you remove the SAVEAS TYPE=EXTRACT from your macro.

For best results, use the new version 5: http://www.iopus.com/iim/support/changelog
Tech Support

by Jat on Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:37 am

I am still having problems displaying the <br> tags. In the manual it says use the TYPE-HTM but this clearly does not work. The suggestion about using windows scripting has left me puzzled does this code go into the macro itself or in a seperate file.
Jat

Return to Data Extraction and Web Screen Scraping