Extracting data for a variable??

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Extracting data for a variable??

by mvaughan737 on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:31 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am evaluating this product, and so far I am not having too much luck with it. I tried to setup a macro to log onto my company website. It is a discussion forum just like this one. Only, I think it has a security feature built into it. The form action is below. The reason the script errors out is because of the sid=7b610733460f3e3396cf68f677db1819. That sid= number changes everytime I logon. If I update the script with the new number, then it logs in ok.

<form action="login.php?sid=7b610733460f3e3396cf68f677db1819" method="post" target="_top">

What I need to do is, Extract the sid= number and then assign it to a variable. Then when I input the username and password to logon on, I can substitute the sid= number with the variable.

Can this be done?? I tried to figure out how to extract just the sid= number but couldn't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. If I can't get it to work, well... then I just saved myself $200.

Thanks.. Michael Vaughan
mvaughan737

Can't Logon

by mvaughan737 on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:58 pm

I just tried the same thing with this forum. It also errors out because it hangs up at the login. It will not put the username or password to login. Does anybody else have this problem. Can you set a macro to logon to this forum with your username and password??? If so, please let me look at your macro code. I keep getting hung up at the sid=

Thanks again... mv
mvaughan737

by Tech Support on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:57 pm

There is no need to extract the SID, simply replace it with "*" and IIM will ignore it. Please see our PHPBB backup macro for an example: http://forum.iopus.com/viewtopic.php?t=22
Tech Support

Pro or Scripting

by mvaughan737 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:53 pm

Hi Tech Support,

Thanks for your help. I didn't think to try that, and yet I read about it. I will now buy your product. But, I am not sure which to buy?? Should I get the Pro version or Scripting??

I will not be using it for my personal webpage or hosting a site. I would like to just use it to logon to webpages, and have the capability to extract information and save it to a excel file. I am a beginner programmer, I can get things done with the help of others. Other than that, I am not an experienced programmer. I have read the differences between the two on your website, but not sure if I need all the things listed in the Scripting version.

The Scripting Edition of Internet Macros is THE solution for professional web automation, web site testing and data extraction. In addition to all the features of the PRO Edition it features an easy-to-use data extraction wizard and the very powerful Scripting interface. With the Scripting Interface all Internet Macros function can be remote controlled from any Windows scripting or programming language.

The Scripting Edition also includes the Internet Macros PLAYER license. The player license key allows you to ship macros, scripts and programs based on Internet Macros along with a copy of the Internet Macros Player itself to your users at no additional costs.

I am assuming that the web automation and web site testing is for people hosting a website??

I am assuming that "can be controlled from any Windows Scripting or programming language" such as VBasic or C++?? Don't need that.

Now the one thing I am curious about, is the Internet Macros PLAYER license. But, I can't think of anything that I would ship to someone??

So, do you think the PRO version is the best so that I can extract and save data??

Thanks for your help and time!!

Michael Vaughan
mvaughan737

by Tech Support on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:02 am

From your description, I recommend the PRO Edition license for you.

In any case, if you originally ordered one edition of our software and wish to upgrade to another edition, the upgrade is only the difference in price plus a $10.00 processing fee.

The processing fee is waived if you upgrade within the first 90 days after your original purchase. Once you decide to upgrade, please contact us at http://www.iopus.com/service/contact/ your current license key and we will send you a special order link to our upgrade website.
Tech Support

PRO Version

by mvaughan737 on Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:18 pm

Hello All,

OK.. I will get the PRO version. I have one more question. The one that I downloaded for the trial is v4.31! I noticed that v5.0 is available. When I buy the PRO version, should I delete the trial version and then reinstall the 5.0?? Or can I just INSTALL the new one over the old one?? OR, do I just need a registration key??

And just to confirm, in the PRO version, I can insert data from a .csv file into a webpage as well as save data to the .csv file on harddrive. I was a little confused on your webpage on the differences with PRO and Scripting.

Thanks.. mv
mvaughan737

by Tech Support on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:40 am

1.) Installing V5.0 over V4.31 will work but I recommend that you uninstall V4.31, reboot and install V5.0. That is the best method.

2.) Once V5.0 TRIAL is installed, you can simply enter the PRO Edition license key into the software. For future updates, simply install the new V5.x over the old V5.x version.

3.)
in the PRO version, I can insert data from a .csv file into a webpage as well as save data to the .csv file on harddrive.
Yes
Tech Support

Return to Data Extraction and Web Screen Scraping