Commas in Text save as CSV File

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Commas in Text save as CSV File

by Ratfink on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi All,
again, sorry for the newb questions. I really cant find an asnwer on this one however it appears everyone has expereinced but doesnt appear to be solutions or people who answered their own post with a solution but didnt post the solution? uuhhgg.

anyways,,,

I am using the iMacros Browser V11.0.246.4051 to attemtp to figure any of this out. Where I am at now is dealing with scraping a text title that has commas in it. When it is saved as a CSV file of course it seperates out the words that has commas between them. For example.

Precut Insulation, Door Skin Damper Kit, Inner

I need this in one column in the CSV File NOT three colums.

There has got to be a way around this? can someone share a solution how to either eliminate the commas in the text or get iMacros to ignore the commas in the text when saving as CSV file.

Yes I know its comma deliminted,,, if I could change that? wouldnt know where that option is to change the dleiminters? even if that is possible? would it make a difference exporting text to a database? is that more difficult? I would think this would be a real common problem and that there would be simple soljutions all over? any help would be appreciated. thanks...
Ratfink

Re: Commas in Text save as CSV File

by IrishMacro on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:42 am

You can try two things

1 save into a txt file and then search and remove commas before opening the text file in excel (where you uncheck the "comma delimited" option.

2 create an EVAL statement in the macro itself to remove the commas before you save

TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN CLASS:head_text EXTRACT=TXT
SET !VAR1 EVAL("var s='{{!EXTRACT}}'; s.replace(',', '');")
or possbily
SET !VAR1 EVAL("var s='{{!EXTRACT}}'; s.replace(/\,/g, '');

Save VAR1 to file

(I didn't test those evals myself so you may have to experiment a bit.
Firefox free plugin, last version
Win7
IrishMacro

Return to Data Extraction and Web Screen Scraping