Extract current selected dropdown into variable

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Extract current selected dropdown into variable

by kingoftaurus on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:31 pm

Hello iMacros pros!

I have a dropdown box with 75 items within it.

That dropdown box is currently selected on an item.

Here is the html:
Code: Select all
<select id="toolbar_uid" name="toolbar_uid" onchange="swapCharacter()" style="font-size:8pt;width:120px;">
                                                            <option value="267096" >SomethingHere</option>
                                                                <option value="267095" >SomethingThere</option>
                                                                <option value="267090" >TheresSomething</option>
                                                                <option value="74473" selected>Here'sSomething</option>

How can I extract the CURRENTLY SELECTED option value="77473" and store into a variable so that later in the iMacro I can do something like this:
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:NoFormName ATTR=NAME:awardto CONTENT=%{{myVariable}}
iMacros 9.0.3
Windows 10
Firefox 49.0.1
kingoftaurus

Re: Extract current selected dropdown into variable

by chivracq on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:21 am

kingoftaurus wrote:Hello iMacros pros!

I have a dropdown box with 75 items within it.

That dropdown box is currently selected on an item.

Here is the html:
<select id="toolbar_uid" name="toolbar_uid" onchange="swapCharacter()" style="font-size:8pt;width:120px;">
                                                            <option value="267096" >SomethingHere</option>
                                                                <option value="267095" >SomethingThere</option>
                                                                <option value="267090" >TheresSomething</option>
                                                                <option value="74473" selected>Here'sSomething</option>

How can I extract the CURRENTLY SELECTED option value="77473" and store into a variable so that later in the iMacro I can do something like this:
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:NoFormName ATTR=NAME:awardto CONTENT=%{{myVariable}}

CIM...! :mrgreen: (Always mention your FCI when you open a Thread, read my Sig, many Commands are not implemented for all Browsers/Versions...)

For your Qt, simply use 'EXTRACT', it's documented in the Wiki.
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by kingoftaurus on Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:58 pm

iMacros for Firefox 9.0.3, Windows 10

Anyways, you say to "just use extract"

How do I use the extract to extract the currently selected item?
iMacros 9.0.3
Windows 10
Firefox 49.0.1
kingoftaurus

by chivracq on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:15 pm

kingoftaurus wrote:
iMacros for Firefox 9.0.3, Windows 10

Hum..., nearly good but FF Version still missing, FF48/49, I reckon...? :roll:

Anyways, you say to "just use extract"

How do I use the extract to extract the currently selected item?

=> ... Like you always use 'EXTRACT' "to extract the currently selected Item"...!
Did you find the Section in the Wiki explaining this exact Situation using nearly precisely your own Words...?
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
chivracq

by kingoftaurus on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:24 pm

http://wiki.imacros.net/!EXTRACT

Nothing there at all about extracting the currently selected option of a dropdown box. At all.

As far as the firefox version, I have no idea. (I Don't know why that is necessary anyway because I am not having a PROBLEM?BUG I just DON'T KNOW HOW to do something)
iMacros 9.0.3
Windows 10
Firefox 49.0.1
kingoftaurus

by chivracq on Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:03 am

kingoftaurus wrote:As far as the firefox version, I have no idea. (I Don't know why that is necessary anyway because I am not having a PROBLEM?BUG I just DON'T KNOW HOW to do something)

FCI with Versions for iMacros + Browser + OS is Required Info like mentioned in the Forum Rules, we are a Technical Forum, we like Technical Info...!, and I usually simply don't even read a Thread when (part of) that Info is missing, I was "nice to you" to react to your Thread because you were first time Poster to avoid your Thread to go rotting and you wondering why nobody answers it...
And many Commands are not implemented for all Browsers/Version or get broken from some specific Version, and FF is notorious on that point to regularly break Commands that were working fine in the previous Version.
But OK, never mind about your FF Version if it's too complicated, I don't think indeed it will play a role, FF48/49 is good enough.
But I won't react to your Thread next time you open a Thread if you don't mention your FCI.

And, hum..., if you don't know how to check your FF Version which is a very basic and standard Feature for all Software since 20 years (Help => About), I'm not sure you trying to use iMacros is a good idea, I'm afraid you are going to suffer a bit...! :shock:

kingoftaurus wrote:http://wiki.imacros.net/!EXTRACT

Nothing there at all about extracting the currently selected option of a dropdown box. At all.

Okay..., but you found the Wiki Page about '!EXTRACT' and not about 'EXTRACT' like I mentioned, try again... :roll:

The '!EXTRACT' Built-in Variable is the Result of and will contain the Data extracted by the 'EXTRACT' Command. You first need to use the 'EXTRACT' Command on your DDLB (Drop-Down-List-Box).

>>>

@TechSup, this '!EXTRACT' Wiki-Page could indeed contain a direct Link to the 'EXTRACT' Command in the 'See Also' Section. :idea:
Last edited by Tom, Tech Support on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Done!
chivracq

by kingoftaurus on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:31 am

I found out how to look for the firefox version. The "help" and "about" part of it are actually hidden behind a third layer/

First I had to click "menu" which in MOST cases the "help" and "about" are listed there. I could not find it.

Then you have to click the "?" on the menu page

THEN About.

Normally the "about" menu is not hidden.

Now as for your "EXTRACT" without the "!" Here is the contents:

EXTRACT
Jump to: navigation, search
EXTRACT command

From Version 6.0 there is no separate EXTRACT command any more. Extractions are now handled by the TAG command by replacing the CONTENT=... parameter with the extract parameter EXTRACT=... .

Please see the Extract section of the TAG command page for more information

!EXTRACT variable

Besides the EXTRACT command, there is also the !EXTRACT variable.

In the "TAG" section, I still do not see an option for extracting the currently selected dropdown.

I see where I can select a specific item

TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:form1 ATTR=NAME:select1 CONTENT=%AP<SP>1

But i'm not looking to make a selection, I am looking to grab the value of the currently selected item that can vary and store it into a variable to THEN select into a DIFFERENT dropdown box.
iMacros 9.0.3
Windows 10
Firefox 49.0.1
kingoftaurus

by kingoftaurus on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:50 am

Been a while. So bump.
iMacros 9.0.3
Windows 10
Firefox 49.0.1
kingoftaurus

by chivracq on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:51 am

kingoftaurus wrote:I found out how to look for the firefox version. The "help" and "about" part of it are actually hidden behind a third layer/

First I had to click "menu" which in MOST cases the "help" and "about" are listed there. I could not find it.

Then you have to click the "?" on the menu page

THEN About.

Normally the "about" menu is not hidden.

Simply make the 'Menu Bar' visible in FF and you then still have the "conventional" 'File/Edit/View/.../Help' Menu with 'Help/About Firefox'...
This is "standard" use of a Browser...

kingoftaurus wrote:Now as for your "EXTRACT" without the "!" Here is the contents:

EXTRACT
Jump to: navigation, search
EXTRACT command

From Version 6.0 there is no separate EXTRACT command any more. Extractions are now handled by the TAG command by replacing the CONTENT=... parameter with the extract parameter EXTRACT=... .

!EXTRACT variable

Besides the EXTRACT command, there is also the !EXTRACT variable.

In the "TAG" section, I still do not see an option for extracting the currently selected dropdown.

I see where I can select a specific item

But i'm not looking to make a selection, I am looking to grab the value of the currently selected item that can vary and store it into a variable to THEN select into a DIFFERENT dropdown box.

kingoftaurus wrote:Been a while. So bump.

Tja, sorry, but you didn't really read the Info that you quoted yourself:

What you then quoted from the 'TAG' Page in the Wiki is not from the "Extract section"...:

You have a complete 'EXTRACT' Section on that Page that gives you the exact Answer to your Qt... :idea:

Sorry but I help Users who really get stuck with a Pb after they've done their best to find a Solution, I don't give "Trainings" on how to search the Wiki/Forum and I won't read the Documentation for you... :roll:
(And you don't need to wait another 2.5 months to follow up on your Thread if you still don't find it (but then you must be reading one line every 3 lines...!, euh...!?) or to hopefully post the Solution once you've found it to finish your Thread a bit neatly and useful as well for other Users... :idea: )
chivracq

Return to Data Extraction and Web Screen Scraping