[Solved] Plugin crashes/freezes FF

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
peri

[Solved] Plugin crashes/freezes FF

Post by peri » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:57 am

I am trying to get the firefox plugin to work on my machine, but without much luck.

The stand alone scripting version works fine, as does the firefox plugin running in a virtual machine (xp x86).

On this machine (win7 x64), after installing the plugin firefox refuses to run. Its process starts, but it never 'appears'. I have to manually kill the FF process, start FF in safe mode and uninstall the IM plugin.

I've tried disabling all themes, tools and extensions - IM plugin crashes just the same.

The copy of FF running in the VM is a carbon copy of the main OS one, which sort of points to a problem running on an x64 os - although searching on the net doesn't bear this out.

Any suggestions please?
PsychedeliX

Re: Plugin crashes/freezes FF

Post by PsychedeliX » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:59 pm

The same happend to me.
Just turn on the xp sp3 compatibility mode. After that it runs fine.
peri

Post by peri » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Compatibility mode for a firefox add on?

I tried running FF in compatibility mode - didn't help. neither did running it as an administrator.
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:47 am

Hello,

We were unable to reproduce this on our Win 7 x64 test machine. What version of Firefox are you running? Do you have access to another machine where you can test it? You might also want to try the latest beta version of the plugin:

http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Fir ... on_History
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
peri

Post by peri » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi Tom,

I fixed the problem by removing all my plugins and extensions, re-installing FF, installing Imacros and then putting my extensions back. Thanks for the reply tho :)
jbwocky

Post by jbwocky » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:16 am

Hi,

I've got the same issue. Everything was perfect until I updated firefox to 3.6.4.
Once I did, it refused to start - the program would run in the background, but it never actually appeared on screen.
I tried everything, and finally, I removed all addons and started adding them back one by one.
All of the other addons worked, except imacros - I tried reinstalling it from your website, but it's the same.

I should mention these facts:
I'm running windows XP SP3, fully updated.
Firefox 3.6.4
I tried both imacros 6.6.5.0 and 6.7.0.0 beta.
I tried them with all my other addons installed, and with all my addons uninstalled.
Update - I tried installing imacros on a fresh new profile - didn't work either.
Tried installing it before all my other addons as well - nope...
Please help,
Thanks
Emin
drelefun

Post by drelefun » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Same thing happened to me. FF pulls up the profile manager, choose the profile and then FF just stops.

Right after the FF upgrade to 3.6.4.

Uninstalled the released version of 6.6.5.0, and re-installed, FF still hangs

Started in safe mode, and then turned on each add-on and restarted each time, only the iMacros prevents FF from starting.

Installed the beta version mentioned of iMacros and still had the same problem of FF not starting, until I killed it in taskman and started FF in safe mode and disabled all add-ons.

Each time firefox32 shows in taskman and get around ~35Mb mem usage and then stops using memory.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows Vista Business
OS Version: 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: AMD64 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2000 Mhz
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 am

We confirmed this problem and are working on a patch! This is indeed a major problem. I will update this post once we know more.

If this crash happens to you, please start Firefox in safe mode. At the prompt, check "Disable all addons" and select "Make changes and restart". Then Firefox starts again and you can disable iMacros individually until we solve this problem.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:47 am

:arrow: For further updates please see this thread which deals with the same problem.