Cannot have more than one Javascript based macro per browser

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
dooferorg

Cannot have more than one Javascript based macro per browser

Post by dooferorg » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 pm

I have noticed that with iMacros for Firefox, that if I have a javascript based macro and run a 2nd, similar but different, instance of that macro in a new window then they interfere and one of them stops working. Are the namespaces for Javascript shared? I thought they would use a separate instance for each macro, but it appears not. It's either that or some other conflict.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Tom, Tech Support

Re: Cannot have more than one Javascript based macro per bro

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Hello dooferorg,

Are you referring to simultaneously running the same script/macro in two separate browser instances? Or are you running two different scripts/macros in separate browser instances? The title of this topic says "Cannot have more than one Javascript based macro per browser" but then you are talking about running "a 2nd, similar but different, instance of that macro in a new window." Please clarify. Thanks!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
dooferorg

Post by dooferorg » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I mean that I have the same browser process but using a 2nd window. They are all controlled by one process instance of the browser. If I run them as two separate processes (under separate IDs) then I have no problem, otherwise they interfere.

This is using iMacros for Firefox under Linux.
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:34 am

OK, thanks for the clarification. Running the same macro (.iim file) in multiple instances works fine, but running the same .js as you described definitely causes one of them to stop executing. I believe because of the way Firefox is implemented, our recommendation is to use separate instances (separate Firefox profiles) if you want to run concurrently without problems. See the following article for more information:

http://wiki.imacros.net/iimInit#Separat ... _Instances

Note: The information about using the "-fxProfile" switch won't apply to you (it only applies to launching Firefox from the iMacros Scripting Edition using iimInit()), but the information should still be helpful.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support