Firefox options changed when initiating record iMacro

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
highfocus

Firefox options changed when initiating record iMacro

Post by highfocus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Whenever I click on Record iMacro, my Firefox option for Tools>Options> "Open new window in new tab instead" changes to "Selected". Call me old school, but I prefer that new windows open in new windows, not new tabs. I have not switched to using tabs and prefer that iMacros does not change my Firefox configuration options.

Is there any fix for this?
jbwocky

Re: Firefox options changed when initiating record iMacro

Post by jbwocky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:04 pm

It sounds to me like it's a good time for you to switch to using tabs, tbh :lol:
I recommend the Tab mix plus addon for firefox... :mrgreen:
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi highfocus,

This behavior is by design. If you are recording a macro which causes a page to be loaded in a new browser window, then it is no longer under iMacros control and you won't be able to record any actions on this new page. iMacros can only automate the pages that are open in the same browser window.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
highfocus

Post by highfocus » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:45 pm

Tom, thanks for the reply.

I believe I understand the design position; however, why not just inform the user how to set the Firefox configuration parameter if they want to record a macro where the page will possibly load in a new window? Or, make any Firefox configuration setting changes upon new iMacros installation instead of a new iMacros action? I can understand having software defaults for iMacros settings, but it does not appear to be warranted to hardcode a change in a host browser's configuration settings whenever someone wants to record a macro. I'd think the best way to do this would be to inform the user during iMacros installation that some parameters in the host browser will be changed to work better with iMacros-- and then only change those parameters one time during installation not whenever someone starts recording, playing, or editing a macro.

I do not use tabs. I prefer to open new pages in new windows. Whenever I want to record a macro, I must go in an immediately change my Firefox settings back so that pages load in new windows instead of new tabs. It's a waste of time for me, but so far I'd rather do this than be forced to start using "open new windows in tabs instead". I believe I only ran into one case over the past couple months where I was trying to record a macro which required a new browser window. 99% of the time, the macros I record do not require a new browser window.
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:33 am

highfocus wrote:Whenever I click on Record iMacro, my Firefox option for Tools>Options> "Open new window in new tab instead" changes to "Selected". Call me old school, but I prefer that new windows open in new windows, not new tabs. I have not switched to using tabs and prefer that iMacros does not change my Firefox configuration options.

Is there any fix for this?
Update: The latest version of iMacros for Firefox no longer automatically changes this setting.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
highfocus

Post by highfocus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:04 am

Tom, can you tell me which specific version contains the change. I see a few new iMacros versions in the past few months and also a Beta version.

Regards, John
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:52 am

Hi John,

It should be available in V7.2.0.8.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
highfocus

Post by highfocus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:13 pm

I tried 7.2.0.8 yesterday and the Firefox option parameter "Open new window in new tab instead"" is still being set whenever I click on Record iMacro. Perhaps the fix is coming a little further down the line.

I switched back to 7.1.1.5 since 7.2.0.6 & 7.2.0.8 have some issue with the <PLAY> button not activating if a running iMacro is PAUSE'd or STOP'd before completion.
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for trying it John, I will double-check and follow up with the development team.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi John,

I just re-tested it myself, and the behavior appears to be that iMacros now restores the Firefox "Open new windows in a new tab" setting after recording/playing a macro, but while recording, iMacros does automatically enable this setting.

This isn't quite what you want, is it? Are you saying you don't want iMacros to ever change this setting on its own? I'm afraid that if we made that the default behavior, it would end up causing more confusion for users who may be puzzled by why iMacros appears to stop working with new windows (as stated in a previous post, iMacros can only control pages opened in the same browser instance).
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
highfocus

Post by highfocus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 am

Tom, yes the reason I brought up this issue a few months back is I cannot understand why a Firefox extension like iMacros would hard code any Firefox setting, even if it is in the interest of most iMacros users.

If a user generally uses Tabs instead of opening new windows, then they will already have set the "Open new window in new tab instead" Firefox option setting. If an iMacro's user generally wants go open a new windows in a new tab instead, then they will set the Firefox option setting themselves. Why hard code the setting simply because someone is recording or playing back a macro?

I still would like to see iMacros leave this Firefox optional setting alone and let the user set it. If your developers still believe it is necessary, why not have it included as an iMacro configuration parameter? Let the iMacro's user decide whether to have it set when recording or playing back.

Now that I've mentioned it, this Firefox param "Open new window in new tab instead" may also be getting set during other iMacros operations such as play back or other actions.

Please take this into consideration.

Regards, John
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks again for the input John, I have forwarded your latest comments to the dev team.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support