TypeError: mtree is null

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
bevelman

TypeError: mtree is null

Post by bevelman » Fri May 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi, I am using xp, running firefox 4, and the latest imacro upgrade. Somewhere between the latest imacro upgrade and firefox 4, I have lost the ability to record a macro. I have also lost the ability to view any of the macros I have already saved. They are still there because they run, but when I open the side bar, there is a favorites folder only, and it seems to be empty because I cannot get it to do anything.
When I stop recording a macro, I get the error message above, and cannot save it.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Greg
Porkpie

Re: TypeError: mtree is null

Post by Porkpie » Mon May 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Your problem seems very similar to what I have been experiencing and I share your frustration.

I notice you have had no replies or solutions and unfortunately I cant offer any.

I have two posts you might want to follow under "imacros not responding" under this forum and "cant use my macros" under the General forum.

If I get a solution to our problem I will pass it on.

Come on Iopus experts whats going on ?
giorgio79

Post by giorgio79 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:42 pm

@Porkpir: Why dont you link here your other posts?

I encountered this bug as well, cannot reproduce it. The macros browsing tree is empty, and does not fill up even on restart. Will try reinstalling iamcros.
Share your imacros easily http://www.sharemacro.com/imacro-directory
Internet Marketing imacros http://www.sharemacro.com
giorgio79

Post by giorgio79 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Wow not even reinstalling brought the macro tree back.

Can only see Favorites...

Attached what i see.
Attachments
imacros_mtree.png
giorgio79

Post by giorgio79 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Ok, I think I found the solution.

I noticed sometimes iMacros creates infinite subfolders in subdirectories, in the macros folder.

This sometimes happens when you drag and drop macros, but I dont have exact steps to reproduce.

If you have too much of these directories, imacros cannot read anymore the folders, it becomes too much. So check your macros folders for these subdirectories and delete them.

First check its contents though, because imacros sometimes moves macros at the deepest folder...
So sg like this is created by some error
Macros/mybookmarks/mybookmarks/mybookmarks/mybookmarks/mybookmarks/mybookmarks/mybookmarks/mybookmarks/mybookmarks...
yquant

Post by yquant » Tue May 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Yes, this is the solution! I have noticed that a folder was reproduced like 20 times and the macro was moved to the deepest point; after I deleted that folders, everything was back to normal.

I noticed it after I couldn't paste my iMacros folder to a USB flash drive because the pathnames were too long.
Porkpie

Post by Porkpie » Wed May 25, 2011 1:19 am

Yes you are correct Giorgio79...

I did a search for macros and discovered a whole heap of duplicates.

Everything is working good again.

Many thanks Giorgio79 you are my hero. :D
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed May 25, 2011 7:11 am

Thanks Giorgio for posting your solution! I have also encountered this issue on at least one occasion but have not yet been able to recreate the steps that reproduce it. We will monitor the situation. Please continue to post additional findings/information to this thread!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
charlie11

Post by charlie11 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:25 pm

hi, my macro says TypeError: mtree is null and wont let me record or show my macro's and it has been like this for about 2-3 weeks could you possibly give me steps on how to get it back to normal please?,thank you
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:09 pm

charlie11 wrote:hi, my macro says TypeError: mtree is null and wont let me record or show my macro's and it has been like this for about 2-3 weeks could you possibly give me steps on how to get it back to normal please?,thank you
Giorgio posted a solution a few posts up. You need to inspect all of your macro subfolders and clean up any deeply-nested recursions.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
TheNose55

Post by TheNose55 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:10 pm

I removed all the nested folders and still no macros. Temp fix is to move the macros out of the folder to a new location and change the target folder. They all show now. This is a firefox opnly issue so far, I could still see the macros from IE and chrome.
nandakis4

Post by nandakis4 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:21 am

HI guys :)

i have faced the same problem today morning

i tried many ways .. but it didnt work

i uninstalled macros and re installed it .. but didnt work... so i did it in my way :P

1) DELETE iMACROS FOLDER in MYDOCUMENTS
C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\iMacros
plz take backup of the files which u need b4 u delete
2) now UNINSTALL the browser (mozila or chrome or anything !) UNINSTALL it COMPLETELY (with out any COOKIES,user themes etc)
3)RE INSTALL BROWSER and RE INSTALL MACROS from addons search
4) Replace ur backup again in DOCUMENT/iMACROS forlder

FINISH :) it will work again ..

Hope this will help some one
NOTE : please take back up imacros folder & browser BOOKMARKS and etc
psharma1720

Post by psharma1720 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:04 pm

I just did this and it solved the issue:

1. Copied the MACROS folder inside imacros.
2. Renamed the copy to MACROS2
3. Went inside the imacros options on firefox and changed the source of macros from MACROS to MACROS2 (copied folder)

Everything back to normal :)
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 am

Hum, strange, I've been using iMacros for 4-5-6 years already and I never encountered this problem and I'm quite an "extreme" (looking for Bugs/problems...!) User...

But good to know...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
FoxDot

Post by FoxDot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:34 am

this bug 2 times happened to me this week )
The Fox Will Find You!