How to use asterisks and other special characters?

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox Add-on.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
nma1919

How to use asterisks and other special characters?

Post by nma1919 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to automate a website login that has an asterisk (*) in the password field. It seems that when the macro plays back it gets confused by the asterisk. Is there a special snippet of code that I can use to distinguish the asterisk separately from the program?
Tom, Tech Support

Re: How to use asterisks and other special characters?

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:57 pm

Hello nma1919,

You shouldn't need to do anything special to handle password fields. How is it getting "confused"? Can you provide a specific example, perhaps the URL to the site in question?

http://wiki.imacros.net/Password_Security
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
nma1919

Post by nma1919 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:15 pm

This is the example code. The "1234ABC*" is the password it enters. The asterisk on the password isnt entered, in fact the macros stops in it's tracks... I think iMacros is confusing the asterisk as a variable.

Code: Select all

VERSION BUILD=7300701 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
URL GOTO=http://m.myspace.com/login.wap?sb=&jklaajkkjwioppznzknllkk=&goto=Home&bfd=offdeck
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ACTION:/login.wap?sb=&jklaajkkjwioppznzknllkk=&goto=Home&bfd=offdeck&c=en-US&a=b ATTR=ID:loginTextBox CONTENT=testemail@emaildomain.com
SET !ENCRYPTION NO
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:PASSWORD FORM=ACTION:/login.wap?sb=&jklaajkkjwioppznzknllkk=&goto=Home&bfd=offdeck&c=en-US&a=b ATTR=ID:loginTextBox CONTENT=1234ABC*
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=ID:wapForm ATTR=NAME:loginCommand&&VALUE:Login
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:35 pm

The macro works for me. All 8 characters of the password are entered, the Login button is clicked, and then the page responds that the username/password is not valid (obviously since they are test values).
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support