User Input

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
rfe534

User Input

Post by rfe534 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi

Regarding user input, is it possible to let the user select from a drop down list or similiar instead of just enter the input manually using the prompt command?
Thanks in advance.
Daniel, Tech Support

Re: User Input

Post by Daniel, Tech Support » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi,

You could use one of the following options:

1. Simply PAUSE and have user select the drop-down value and press continue.

2. Same as above, plus use the PROMPT command to display a message to the user, telling him what he should do.

3. Build your own user-interface with any programming language of your choice and call iMacros using the Scripting Interface: http://wiki.imacros.net/Web_Scripting. This way you can use any UI elements to ask user for input, you can also use iMacros to pull data into those UI elements from any website.

Best regards,
Daniel, iOpus Support
rfe534

Post by rfe534 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks for the reply.
However I don't understand how 1 and 2 would accomplish what I want.

I'll try clearify me wish.
I want to ask the user to choose from values from a drop down menu with prefilled alternatives and then use the selected value in an imacro.
Daniel, Tech Support

Post by Daniel, Tech Support » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Sorry, I must have misunderstood you. Are you referring to a drop-down on a website or a custom drop-down that you want to create?

Best regards,
Daniel, iOpus Support
rfe534

Post by rfe534 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:59 am

Hello,

I want the macro to take input from a dropdown which is controlled inside the macro. Like the PROMPT command but insted of simple text field use a dropdown with prefilled values. How can you accomplish that?

EX. The macro ask for a value which the user (running the macro) selects from a dropdown and then that variable is used later on in the macro.
Daniel, Tech Support

Post by Daniel, Tech Support » Fri May 11, 2012 11:55 pm

I want the macro to take input from a dropdown which is controlled inside the macro. Like the PROMPT command but insted of simple text field use a dropdown with prefilled values. How can you accomplish that?
Hi,

You can create a drop-down using any programming language of your choice (e.g. C# with .Net Windows Forms or C++ with MFC etc.) and then run iMacros from within the code using iMacros Scripting Interface.

Best regards,
Daniel, iOpus Support
yvonus

Post by yvonus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Hello everyone, hello iOpus team

I'm putting an "up" on this topic : I'm popularizing the use of iMacro inside our firm as we're using a new ticketing tool with a quite complex interface.

This (web) tool is used to create incident tickets, requests, etc... that is : everything.

Real life example : data center access request, and I need to fill : room + enclosure + rack position.
I've got a set of values for a dozen pieces of hardware.

I'd like imacro to let the user select in a pulldown :
<piece of hardware "mike">
<piece of hardware "john">
<piece of hardware "roger">

Each value will allow me to fill automatically 3 fields (room + enclosure + rack position).

Would that be possible in a near future version ?

Thanks

Yvonus
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi yvonus,

You can prompt the user for input using the PROMPT command, however, there are no plans to offer more than a simple text field with this command.

If you need more sophisticated user input for your macros, you should consider using the iMacros scripting interface included with the iMacros Enterprise Edition. Then you can use whatever scripting/programming language you prefer for creating the GUI you need and calling iMacros.

For more information about using the scripting interface, see the following:

http://wiki.imacros.net/Macro_or_Script

http://wiki.imacros.net/Web_Scripting

http://wiki.imacros.net/Command_Referen ... d_Overview
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support