[SOLVED] Firefox 23 and above: issue with URL GOTO command

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
lanx

[SOLVED] Firefox 23 and above: issue with URL GOTO command

Post by lanx » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi,

I have tried some testing with the upcoming Firefox 23 and both current 8.3.0 and beta 8.5.1 iMacros versions and found that URL GOTO command cannot open local files anymore.

I have many macros relying on data extraction from plain text files stored in my local hard drive and those same macros are still perfectly working under Firefox 22 and any previous version.

So, i have tried to create a single line macro under Firefox 23, without ERRORIGNORE and I have got the following error message:

Error: Access to 'file:///Q:/iMacros/Datasources/data.txt' from script denied, line: 3 (Error code: -1001)

Hope it could be easily fixed before the final Firefox 23 release.
Last edited by lanx on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom, Tech Support

Re: upcoming Firefox 23 and URL GOTO command

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi lanx,

Thanks for the heads-up! I have logged this issue for further investigation by our development team.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
np_

Post by np_ » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:08 pm

I have the same issue starting with Firefox 23, only with a chrome: URL instead of a file: one. I tried the suggestion posted here, but it didn't work for me; perhaps it would only work for those trying to go to file: URLs.

Downgrading to Firefox 22 makes things work again.
MarkGiles

Post by MarkGiles » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 am

I have the same problem. Firefox 23 - and latest iMacros.

URL GOTO=file:///C:/temp/table.htm

now drops out with error message

Error: Access to 'file:///C:/temp/table.htm' from script denied, line: 9 (Error code: -1001)
bobis

Post by bobis » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:44 pm

any update on this issue?
Get Best iMacros scripts at http://imacrosbot.com/
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:27 am

Hi bobis,

The development team is continuing to investigate. In fact, the next release of iMacros for Firefox is being delayed so that we can attempt to resolve this issue first.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
lanx

Post by lanx » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:03 pm

In fact, Mozilla Development Team seems to have adopted some sort of a new and foolish "usability" philosophy while applying deep changes to Firefox user interface and overall behavior.

Many people are currently switching to other browsers, including Add-on developers annoyed by this obtuse strategy pointing exclusively to optimize overall performance and interface modernization.

Doesn't matter if users most preferred features have been switched off and dozens of their favorite Add-ons have been killed by these deep changes: Mozilla have repeatedly and clearly stated that this is the new development strategy and no one could interfere nor have the power to change their mind and the roadmap for the next years.

Did you understand what's that mysterious strategy? Speed and responsiveness, of course: they're currently only aiming to score the best benchmark results against their competitors... so, forget about compatibility with all the stuff you've been used to adopt until now to customize your user experience and make Firefox work the way you want and like, because Add-ons and plugins are currently considered as an intrusive, bothering, compromising and corrupting heap of garbage.

"Customization" will be quickly superseded by "standardization" at every new major release, invoking the ridiculous excuses of "safety, stability and performance issues"... and the final result will be a browser that should be accepted and used "as is": conceived and made by few people, and imposed like a diktat to the mass in a pre-packed and not customizable form.

In a few words: Firefox will be a browser like any other, with no particular point of excellence and no noteworthy weakness. Just a browser like many other out there, made for spare-time browsing and social-network-oriented, to delight the growing mass of young timewasters on Facebook.
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:21 pm

The development team has identified the cause of the problem and it will be fixed in the next release of iMacros, a beta version of which will be posted to the wiki by the end of the week most likely.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
bobis

Post by bobis » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:24 pm

the issue appear also on Firefox 24 (maybe title of the thread should be changed?)
Get Best iMacros scripts at http://imacrosbot.com/
yekim54

Post by yekim54 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:06 am

Tom, iOpus wrote:The development team has identified the cause of the problem and it will be fixed in the next release of iMacros, a beta version of which will be posted to the wiki by the end of the week most likely.
Can you provide a specific date as to which week you were referring to here?
Tom, Tech Support

Re: Firefox 23 and above: issue with URL GOTO command

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:09 am

Hi yekim54,

I was referring to the week in which I made that post, but apparently our release team thought differently. I will keep kicking them in the pants until it gets published on our wiki and then will follow up with a post here.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:40 am

You know what they say about if you want to get things done...

I just published a copy of the iMacros 8.5.3 beta with this bug fix myself!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
np_

Post by np_ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:12 pm

I can confirm that it works, thanks!

One note with this version (and 8.5.1 too) - the command line startup format http://run.imacros.net/?m= no longer works. It worked in the previous version (8.3.0). The imacros://run/?m= format does work. Needs a release note, at least.
yekim54

Post by yekim54 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:00 am

Tom, iOpus wrote:You know what they say about if you want to get things done...

I just published a copy of the iMacros 8.5.3 beta with this bug fix myself!
Thanks, this solved the problem I was having with URL GOTO and Firefox 23.

One minor correction to the Wiki under Version History:
2013-9-128 V8.5.3 BETA VERSION ...
the date should be changed to
2013-9-12 V8.5.3 BETA VERSION ...
lanx

Post by lanx » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:33 am

Wonderful: it worked like a charm and completely solved this issue.