iMacros 8.5.3 problem stealing focus

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
htahir1

iMacros 8.5.3 problem stealing focus

Post by htahir1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi,

The new release has really been a bother for me! iMacros for Firefox 8.5.1 caused almost all my scripts to stop working. Upgrading to 8.5.3 helped a lot. But there is still one major problem.

Everytime my scripts now run the URL GOTO command, iMacros for Firefox steals focus. It is annoying and makes my scripts unusable when I want to minimize and work on something else. The whole purpose of iMacros gets shot down! :/

Please someone help!

Firefox version: Firefox 24.0
iMacros for Firefox version: 8.5.3
Tom, Tech Support

Re: iMacros 8.5.3 problem stealing focus

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi htahir1,

Thank you for taking the time to report this here and bringing it to our attention! I have logged this issue for further investigation by our development team.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Yes, I confirm, that was one of the first things that stroke me, I didn't have time to report any Issues with v8.5.3, but that 'URL GOTO' intrusive Focus is quite annoying, it is the same Issue I already reported for v8.3.1 like with any EVENT Code Line.
'Feedback and Issues on EVENT Recording Mode.'

I managed to remove as many EVENT Code Lines as I could, but URL GOTO is essential..., so when an .iim Macro now is running, you cannot do anything on another Firefox Instance or with a DOS Application.
Last edited by chivracq on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
viking

Post by viking » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:18 pm

chivracq wrote:Yes, I confirm, that was one of the first things that stroke me, I didn't have time to report any Issues with v8.5.3, but that 'URL GOTO' intrusive Focus is quite annoying, it is the same Issue I already reported for v5.3.1 like with any EVENT Code Line.

I managed to remove as many EVENT Code Lines as I could, but URL GOTO is essential..., so when an .iim Macro now is running, you cannot do anything on another Firefox Instance or with a DOS Application.
I couldn't use 8.5.1 because of the many issues so I downgraded to 8.3.0. Saw that 8.5.3 supposedly solved these isssues, so I upgraded to 8.5.3 but I then also experienced that Firefox now steals focus. This means that I can not use the computer for anything else (not just another Firefox instance or DOS since the Firefox windows pops up in the middle of using any application; e.g. Excel, Word etc). Back to 8.3.0 :(
p.s. Currently using FF 23.01
adogg18

Post by adogg18 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:12 pm

viking wrote:
chivracq wrote:This means that I can not use the computer for anything else (not just another Firefox instance or DOS since the Firefox windows pops up in the middle of using any application; e.g. Excel, Word etc).
For me, it doesn't steal focus if I am using any program other than Firefox (Outlook, Word, Photoshop, Quickbooks, Internet Explorer, Chrome etc). The only problem I have is when using another instance of Firefox. I can continue working in another browser if it's IE or Chrome though without Firefox popping up during URL GOTO.

I guess I will have to switch to an older version of iMacros or get use to using Chrome while my FF iMacro is running.

I am using iMacros 8.5.3 with FF 23.0.1 on Windows 7. And the problem still occurs after upgrading to FF 24.0.
htahir1

Post by htahir1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Tom , thank you for taking notice. Has there been any update regarding this problem?
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:16 am

Hi htahir1,

Not yet!

If you would like to be notified of test build releases and be the first to test a bug fix or new enhancement, please subscribe to the following forum topic:

http://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11335

Don't miss important news or notices about iMacros! Like our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/iMacros

To receive a monthly email update on all interesting iMacros developments including important updates, beta versions, and inside information, tips and tricks, please subscribe to the iMacros Newsletter:

http://www.iopus.com/newsletter/

You can also subscribe to our News and Announcements forum to be notified of future production releases:

http://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6643
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
kangarootaco

Post by kangarootaco » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 am

I logged in to report the same problem, but after reading this thread, it sounds like I'm lucky, because currently, iMacros 8.5.3 is only stealing focus from other Firefox windows, not from Chrome, Excel, command consoles, etc, so my PC isn't rendered totally useless while running iMacros. FWIW, I'm using Firefox 24 and 64-bit Windows 7.

I'll be very glad when this is fixed though. If I downgrade to iMacros 8.3, then I'll have to also downgrade to Firefox 22, because I need to be able to open local files with URL GOTO. I write C++ programs with system() calls that launch Firefox and start iMacros with imacros://run/?m= . The only way I've found for closing the browser when the iMacro is done is having the last line of the iMacro point my browser to a local HTML file with a distinctive title, allowing my C++ code (which waits for a Window with the title to exist) to close the browser window with FindWindow() and SendMessage(). If anyone knows of a better method, let me know.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:31 am

Won't you get your Browser Window with a "distinctive Title" as well (always the same...) if you open a specific Web-Site (always the same) on Internet... (instead of opening a local HTML File...)?
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
kangarootaco

Post by kangarootaco » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:00 pm

chivracq wrote:Won't you get your Browser Window with a "distinctive Title" as well (always the same...) if you open a specific Web-Site (always the same) on Internet... (instead of opening a local HTML File...)?
Possibly. I have lots of such programs running (each with multiple threads of iMacros) simultaneously, so I need some sort of random string in the title to ensure distinctiveness.

Can you suggest some real website I could direct my browsers to with random strings appended to the URLs in such a way that the page is guaranteed to load (i.e., iMacros will not stop due to a page not found error) with the string somewhere in the title? Off the top of my head, I can't.

Currently my programs use the existence of a browser window with a distinctive title as a signal that an iMacro is done, but I could just as easily send a signal from iMacros by having it save a page to my hard drive with a distinctive filename. When the program detects this file, it could just kill all browser windows with a certain title and it wouldn't necessarily matter whether any of them were the "right" browser windows, i.e., those that the same program actually launched itself. In this way, all my programs could clean up after each other.

But I guess I kind of like the comfort of seeing an iMacro for each thread go to a local html page that says "iMacro X has completed; please wait for this window to close", reassuring me that everything is working OK, which would be harder to see with temporary files. A program waits for all of its iMacro threads to complete before killing all the browser windows that it (and only it) launched.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:14 am

Some other User reporting the same problem... (about Focus stealing):
http://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 338#p55336
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:42 am

This issue has been fixed in v8.6.0, which is currently in QA testing and will be published to the wiki as a beta soon after.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:11 am

Tom, iOpus wrote:This issue has been fixed in v8.6.0, which is currently in QA testing and will be published to the wiki as a beta soon after.
Good news..., I can't wait...!
TheOwl

Post by TheOwl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:23 am

yesshhhh i want to browse while my macro runs on FF. i have a ton of urlgoto on my macro ..so you can imagine how annoying it is..
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:44 pm

OK, good news, I think...!

I installed the iMacros v8.60 latest Version (available from Tom's Link) (on FF v25.0.1 + WinXP SP3) and the problem seems to be resolved (quick testing). I can now work on a 2nd instance of Firefox or a (Full-Screen) DOS Application without the FF instance running a Script stealing the Focus at each URL GOTO.

>>>

Pity that the Download Link to the v8.5.3 was removed, I find, it was a quick and easy way to switch between Versions when testing stg version related...
Pity again that the Change Log is so "skeleticly poor" with only mention of this current Focus Stealing problem, we will have to discover the 16 other Changes by hazard...

>>>

The "delicious" Link for Shared Macros (which was not working for a very long time already) has finally been removed from the "Patch installed successfully" Page...

>>>

There are still a few Issues/Comments I would have concerning Focus but it's more related to the "sexy" Floating Favicon (which has finally and luckily been removed) but I would tackle them in a separate Thread.
But the main blocking Issue that iMacros was stealing the Focus seems to be solved to me. Thanks a lot for that...! :D