Firefox 32.0.1 broke csv reading

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
mvreux

Firefox 32.0.1 broke csv reading

Post by mvreux » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Config/Symptoms:
  • Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bits)
  • Firefox 32.0.1
  • iMacros for Firefox 8.8.2
  • Even the official script "Loop-Csv-Web.iim" is failing
  • Error: NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getIntPref], line 6 (Error code: -1001)
It's a very usefull feature, so it would be nice to have it fixed :)
Last edited by mvreux on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
chivracq

Re: Firefox 32.0.1 broke csv reading

Post by chivracq » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:02 pm

mvreux wrote:Config/Symptoms:
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Firefox 32.0.1
  • iMacros for Firefox 8.8.2
  • Even the official script "Loop-Csv-Web.iim" is failing
  • Error: NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getIntPref], line 6 (Error code: -1001)
It's a very usefull feature, so it would be nice to have it fixed :)
OS is missing even if it won't really play a role...

But OK, I was able to reproduce even though I am already using iMacros v8.8.3 (Beta) for FF.
I was first on FF v31.0, Demo-Loop was working fine with my current 'Address.csv' .CSV File.
I updated FF to FF v32.0.1, (no change to iMacros), and I then get your RuntimeError as soon as I try to Play or Play (Loop) the Demo-Loop.
But I have another iMacros Folder on my Computer from some Default Installation of the Demo Macros, and hum, if I run Demo-Loop from that Folder, then it works fine...!
'Address.csv' that has the Problem is 307 Bytes big and 'Address.csv' working fine is 310 Bytes...

What I did was open the "faulty" 'Address.csv File in Notepad, resave it with UTF-8 Encoding, and it works then... (It then goes from 307 Bytes to 310 Bytes indeed...) And that's your Workaround, I would say...!

Tested on iMacros v8.8.3 for FF, on FF v31.0 and FF v32.0.1, Win7-64.
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
garyst1981

Post by garyst1981 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:20 pm

it's broke since a while ago, you can fix it by opening the csv file in Windows Notepad and saving it again as CSV making sure you use UTF-8 encoding
www.gustavorivera.com.mx
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:40 am

garyst1981 wrote:it's broke since a while ago, you can fix it by opening the csv file in Windows Notepad and saving it again as CSV making sure you use UTF-8 encoding
You could just have quoted me, that's exactly what I said in my previous Msg...! :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
mvreux

Post by mvreux » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:23 am

I actually thought file encoding might related to this, but i was so sure my csv was already in UTF-8 ... it turns out that it was actually saved with "UTF-8 without BOM" encoding. As soon as i changed to just UTF-8, it worked fine! It's kinda string firefox would cause that problem though, I'm curious how that happened.

Nevertheless, many thanks for the answers, it solved my problem! :)

I also adjusted the OS to mention it was the 64 bits version, for future troubleshooting!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:52 pm

mvreux wrote:I actually thought file encoding might related to this, but i was so sure my csv was already in UTF-8 ... it turns out that it was actually saved with "UTF-8 without BOM" encoding. As soon as i changed to just UTF-8, it worked fine! It's kinda string firefox would cause that problem though, I'm curious how that happened.

Nevertheless, many thanks for the answers, it solved my problem! :)

I also adjusted the OS to mention it was the 64 bits version, for future troubleshooting!
Here is some Background Info about the Problem, if you are curious...:
- NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000
- iMacros 8.6.0 Loop-Csv-2-Web.iim example not working
- Re: Major Problems with File Encodings
- Error code: -1001
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Same Problem happens as well with FF33:
- Mozilla Update trouble