JS Question: How to use ReG Exs to do comparisons

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
additional001

JS Question: How to use ReG Exs to do comparisons

Post by additional001 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:17 pm

So I've sort of hit a road bump. I'm using extracted data to check against a static variable. Even though the variables look identical they are not and my while loop is not working. So I figure it would just be easier to have a variable that is a regular expression that matches my extracted data and then do a comparison.

So what I need is a very simple example of how to use a regular expression on a variable and have it match every time so long as it has "Standby" in it preferably in a while loop.

I've tried searching w3schools and I just can't wrap my head around how to apply the examples they give to what I need the Reg Ex for.

There doesn't seem to be an example on how to do this in a comparison statement for JS that I can find!

TIA
Tom, Tech Support

Re: JS Question: How to use ReG Exs to do comparisons

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi additional001,

If I understand you correctly, and I'm not sure I follow your description 100%, you would use something like the following:

Code: Select all

var extracted = iimGetExtract();

while (extracted.search(/Standby/) != -1)
{
// Code to be performed each time through the loop
}
Updated 2014-12-12: Changed iimGetLastExtract to iimGetExtract.

In this example, the loop will keep executing as long as the extracted data contains the text "Standby".

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ing/search
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:16 am

Tom, Tech Support wrote:Hi additional001,

If I understand you correctly, and I'm not sure I follow your description 100%, you would use something like the following:

var extracted = iimGetLastExtract();

{
}
In this example, the loop will keep executing as long as the extracted data contains the text "Standby".

Hum..., funny to see TechSupport give an Example using 'iimGetLastExtract()' while we are supposed to use 'iimGetExtract()' instead... :?
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:35 am

chivracq wrote:Hum..., funny to see TechSupport give an Example using 'iimGetLastExtract()' while we are supposed to use 'iimGetExtract()' instead... :?
Good catch! The new name iimGetExtract was not available in the iMacros for Firefox Javascript scripting interface at the same time as it was in iMacros Standard/Enterprise editions, so I got used to sticking with iimGetLastExtract when using iMacros-FX.

I've updated the code sample in my original post.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Tom, Tech Support wrote:
chivracq wrote:Hum..., funny to see TechSupport give an Example using 'iimGetLastExtract()' while we are supposed to use 'iimGetExtract()' instead... :?
Good catch! The new name iimGetExtract was not available in the iMacros for Firefox Javascript scripting interface at the same time as it was in iMacros Standard/Enterprise editions, so I got used to sticking with iimGetLastExtract when using iMacros-FX.

I've updated the code sample in my original post.
Ah OK, I didn't know there was a difference in time for the introduction/replacement of/with 'iimGetExtract()', I still use regularly 'iimGetLastExtract()' myself, so I meant my Reply as a "gentle" Joke..., and using "iimGetLastExtract" for searching the Forum (for Examples) will still yield far more relevant Hits than using "iimGetExtract"...

BTW, sbd started a Thread quite recently (in the last 2 weeks maybe) about some Differences in Behaviour and Results between the 2 Functions and TechSupport never jumped into the Thread, I think... :idea:
=> Found it...! (Initiated by the same 'Additional001'):
- iimGetExtract vrs iimGetLastExtract: NOT the same!
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
additional001

Post by additional001 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Tom, Tech Support wrote:Hi additional001,

var extracted = iimGetExtract();

{
}
Updated 2014-12-12: Changed iimGetLastExtract to iimGetExtract.

Thanks TS Tom this looks exactly like I was looking for. I will test it out as soon as I get a chance.