How do I make iMacros Firefox as fast as for Chrome?

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
inck243

How do I make iMacros Firefox as fast as for Chrome?

Post by inck243 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Hello,

I'm using iMacros firefox (9.0.3) and chrome (8.4.4) for firefox 51.0.1 (64-bit) and chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit). OSX 10.11.2

When I use iMacros for Firefox, it's much slower than it is in chrome. For every one complete "loop" in firefox, the same program loops about 10 times in Chrome. Here is a video to show what I am explaining:

https://youtu.be/nVnpYvJT-Qc

Chrome on the left is running the complete program multiple times while on the right you see Firefox much slower.

How do I get firefox to work as quickly as Chrome?

Thanks
chivracq

Re: How do I make iMacros Firefox as fast as for Chrome?

Post by chivracq » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:27 pm

inck243 wrote:Hello,

I'm using

Code: Select all

iMacros firefox (9.0.3) and firefox 51.0.1 (64-bit) 
iMacros chrome (8.4.4) and chrome 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)
OSX 10.11.2
When I use iMacros for Firefox, it's much slower than it is in chrome. For every one complete "loop" in firefox, the same program loops about 10 times in Chrome. Here is a video to show what I am explaining:

https://youtu.be/nVnpYvJT-Qc

Chrome on the left is running the complete program multiple times while on the right you see Firefox much slower.

How do I get firefox to work as quickly as Chrome?

Thanks
I cannot watch/download your Video at the moment because of a very bad Connection, maybe in a few hours..., but anyway, I believe you...
But the same Macro on CR is 10 times quicker than on FF...!?!? Woaw...!, I am amazed and surprised, I never expected such a Speed Difference... I only use iMacros for FF myself, with a "new" Laptop since 1 year on which I didn't even bother to reinstall CR that I don't like at all and my Scripts use many Commands not supported by iMacros for CR, even v8.4.4 which now supports the 'EVENT' Mode...

But, hum, a few Thoughts and Things you can try/use to speed up your Macro(s) on FF and it would be nice if you could "benchmark" them all one by one at the time and a few "Things"/"Tricks" can be combined together...:
1- Use the 'FILTER' Command:

FILTER TYPE=IMAGES STATUS=ON
FILTER TYPE=IMAGES STATUS=OFF
As I mentioned, I often have a very bad/slow/unreliable Internet Connection and I use most of my Scripts for some funny Tamagotchi Games with some very lengthy Pages with 100's of Images, sometimes the same Image repeated 100's of times but sometimes different Images, and not loading those Images speeds up some parts of my Macros by about 300% I would say... (I never benchmarked it exactly, but 'FILTER' is a Killer...!)

The Command is a little bit buggy, it does not reset itself at the end of your Macro so you have to switch it OFF at the end of your Macro, otherwise you won't see any Images when surfing manually on any other Sites... Same thing if you abort your Macro manually before it finished, the Macro didn't reach then the Switch OFF Statement. Workaround is to have some mini Standalone Macro with only the Switch OFF Statement to run manually when that happens.

That Command is FF Profile wide, meaning the same thing, that you cannot surf manually in some other FF Instance in the same FF Profile while your Macro is running in the Background. You then need to dedicate some FF Profile to your Macro.

2- Dedicate a FF Profile to your Macros(s), with as few Add-ons installed/activated as possible, with only the few necessary Add-ons and Plugins.

3- v9.0.3 for FF is really buggy and limited compared to the previous v8.9.7 Version. Many Scripts that were working in v8.8.x and v8.9.x got broken with v9.0.3 and most Users using iMacros for FF "a bit seriously" (= using "Advanced" Scripts and going for Performance) quickly reverted to v8.9.7, so next to breaking many Commands and Scripts, I wouldn't be surprised if Performance was impacted as well...

4- Use Pale Moon instead of plain FF.
PM is a Browser forked on FF but optimized for Reliability and Performance (and without Memory Leaks like FF, ah-ah...!).
My own current FCI is:

iMacros for FF v8.8.2, PM v26.3.3 (=FF47), Win10-x64.
I've been on this FCI since 1 year now exactly and before, I was for maybe another 2 years on:

iMacros for FF v8.8.2, PM v24.6.2, Win7-x64.
v8.8.2 for was for a long time the latest (but very-very stable) Version to run on PM v24 and v25, I stick to it even on PM v26 but we have a few Users on the Forum using PM v27 + iMacros for FF v8.8.7.

To "tranquilize" you about using an "older" Version of iMacros, all Versions since v8.8.2 were each time Patches/Workarounds released to fix some Commands/Functionality that every new Release of FF was breaking since FF29. No functionality has been added to iMacros for FF since v8.8.2, on the contrary even for v9.0.3 which stops supporting several Commands/Workarounds/Tricks that are still supported in v8.9.7.

Performance-wise, I would say that PM is 130%-150% maybe up to 200% quicker than FF.

And no Memory Leaks...! I have some PM Profile running since 1.5 years some pure JavaScript Script as an Applet (not iMacros) 24/7 on a Page, and some other (iMacros) Script looping constantly, I stop both Scripts and refresh the Page before restarting both Script maybe once a week and I kill the PM Profile to restart everything maybe every 3 weeks (unless I need to reboot my Laptop in the meantime), while I need to completely kill FF every max 6 hours if I try to do the same thing on FF.

5- Last thing(s) I can now think of that can have some Influence on Performance is "tuning" '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' and '!TIMEOUT_STEP' for each and all your Scripts, especially for Pages with some "heavy" JavaScript behind like FB/LinkedIn/Gmail/Amazon/etc... iMacros for FF will often wait very long for the Page to "completely" load before running further and all Chat or Dynamic Functionality has loaded while that is often not needed for your Macro to go on with its Processing.

6- Hum, and blocking many 3rd Party Scripts and Trackers with some Ad/Script Blocker like ABP/ABE/uBlock can help a lot as well..., as iMacros will wait until those 3rd Party Scripts and Trackers have finished loading...

That's me maybe being paranoid, but many-many if not most Sites use AdSense and GoogleAnalytics and I wouldn't be surprised if Google deliberately slows down those Scripts and remote Objects to load on other Browsers than Chrome in order to artificially increase Chrome's Speed compared to other Browsers, as I often see FF or PM waiting for those Scripts/Objects to load... but I usually always block them...
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
serbeer

Post by serbeer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:22 am

I bet Replay Speed is set to Slow in Settings. Change is to Fast.
Or simply use SET !REPLAYSPEED FAST statement in your macro, that will override the settings:
http://wiki.imacros.net/!REPLAYSPEED
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:41 am

serbeer wrote:I bet Replay Speed is set to Slow in Settings. Change is to Fast.
Or simply use SET !REPLAYSPEED FAST statement in your macro, that will override the settings:
Ah-ah-ah...!, you must be kidding...!! :shock:
I wasn't able to watch the Video, but if you are right, ah-ah-ah...!, LOL...! Yep of course, Default Setting should always be 'FAST', ah-ah...! :shock:
@OP, you should start investigating which of your "Friends"/Colleagues made this Prank to you then, ah-ah-ah...! That's a good one...! :lol:

But anyway, all the "Tricks" and Techniques I mentioned are still relevant for anybody looking to boost Speed..., this is how and why I came to iMacros about 10 years ago now, ah-ah...!
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
inck243

Post by inck243 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:08 am

Thanks for both replies. This was it... I wish iMacros made the default settings consistent across all platforms.

Those were good points chivracq I tried some but this is what the issue was lol. I think the jokester here was iMacros being inconsistent in their default settings in firefox and chrome!!!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:04 pm

inck243 wrote:
Thanks for both replies. This was it... I wish iMacros made the default settings consistent across all platforms.

Those were good points chivracq I tried some but this is what the issue was lol. I think the jokester here was iMacros being inconsistent in their default settings in firefox and chrome!!!
No-no, I'm pretty sure Default Setting for FF is 'FAST', you must have played with that Setting at some point..., or changed it by mistake, from the iMacros Options... or from 'about:config' where it is kept, or maybe even in some previous Version, I think that Setting is kept when you update iMacros to some later Version...

But hum..., I've always considered this Command/Setting a bit "useless" and I've never ended up using it in any of my Macros nor advised in any Thread on the Forum to use it (hum, maybe with 1 or 2 exceptions) as when you need to slow down Script Execution it is usually only for 1 or 2 Statements and some mini-'WAIT' Statement (which only requires 1 Line against 2 Lines for '!REPLAYSPEED') does the same Job and 'WAIT' is much more "tunable" per Millisecond than '!REPLAYSPEED' which can only take the 3 Values 0/1/2 Second(s), but the Value in 'about:config' is actually defined in Milliseconds, ah-ah...!

Hum, and the Correlation between '!REPLAYSPEED' in the Options and the Value for 'imacros.delay' (that's the Name of the Setting) in 'about:config' is quite "funny":
- [0-100] = 'FAST' (=0)
- [101-1000] = 'MEDIUM' (=1000)
- [1001-2147483647] = 'SLOW' (=2000)
(Tested on iMacros for FF v8.8.2, PM v26.3.3 (=FF47), Win10-x64.)

Funny Number btw this "2147483647", it's the real Limit...! (=2^31-1, the largest signed Int.)
(I never expected a Link between '!REPLAYSPEED' and 'Gangnam Style', ah-ah...!!) :shock:
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:51 am

chivracq wrote:Hum, and the Correlation between '!REPLAYSPEED' in the Options and the Value for 'imacros.delay' (that's the Name of the Setting) in 'about:config' is quite "funny":
- [0-100] = 'FAST' (=0)
- [101-1000] = 'MEDIUM' (=1000)
- [1001-2147483647] = 'SLOW' (=2000)
(Tested on iMacros for FF v8.8.2, PM v26.3.3 (=FF47), Win10-x64.)

Funny Number btw this "2147483647", it's the real Limit...! (=2^31-1, the largest signed Int.)
(I never expected a Link between '!REPLAYSPEED' and 'Gangnam Style', ah-ah...!!) :shock:
So, 2147483647 is the Max Value for '!REPLAYSPEED', and if anyone is interested, see the following Thread for the Max Value for '!TIMEOUT_STEP', ah-ah...! :shock: