Why did iMacros stop access to page DOM?

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
sightunseen

Why did iMacros stop access to page DOM?

Post by sightunseen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:01 am

iMacros in the release of 9.0.3 says the following

"The following were never officially supported and had to be removed as well, since Firefox no longer allows access to the page DOM from the browser context (only frame scripts can do so now)

No access to webpage DOM from javascript in .js files (window, content objects) or macros (URL GOTO=javascript:...),
imns (iMacros namespace) is no longer accessible."

I have scripts that rely on window.content.document. In the latest version of Firefox if I use iMacros 9.0.3 my scripts which rely on that no longer work. This is a real hindrance and I don't know how I'd possibly rewrite a lot of these scripts. Yet if I use the previous version of iMacros 8.9.7 my scripts continue to work. I have disabled "Enable multi-process" in Firefox.

My question is since it's still possible in the latest Firefox for iMacros scripts to access the objects on the page why do you say it's Firefox stopping this? Really it seems to me like it's iMacros that removed the capability.
chivracq

Re: Why did iMacros stop access to page DOM?

Post by chivracq » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:51 pm

sightunseen wrote:iMacros in the release of 9.0.3 says the following

"The following were never officially supported and had to be removed as well, since Firefox no longer allows access to the page DOM from the browser context (only frame scripts can do so now)

No access to webpage DOM from javascript in .js files (window, content objects) or macros (URL GOTO=javascript:...),
imns (iMacros namespace) is no longer accessible."

I have scripts that rely on window.content.document. In the latest version of Firefox if I use iMacros 9.0.3 my scripts which rely on that no longer work. This is a real hindrance and I don't know how I'd possibly rewrite a lot of these scripts. Yet if I use the previous version of iMacros 8.9.7 my scripts continue to work. I have disabled "Enable multi-process" in Firefox.

My question is since it's still possible in the latest Firefox for iMacros scripts to access the objects on the page why do you say it's Firefox stopping this? Really it seems to me like it's iMacros that removed the capability.
Yep, exactly, I said the same as well a few months ago...

If v8.9.7 still works on FF48/49/50/51 and "older" Scripts written for and working on v8.9.7(-) + FF47(-) using DOM Access still work with v8.9.7 on FF48-51 then it's not FF preventing DOM Access (at least with Multi-Process disabled) but iMacros for FF v9.0.3 itself which should be backward compatible for such Scripts...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
sightunseen

Post by sightunseen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:02 pm

It has been a month, does anyone from the company plan on addressing this?
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 pm

sightunseen wrote:It has been a month, does anyone from the company plan on addressing this?
I'll ping @Tom from @TechSup one of those days for some "official" Reaction, but I think I know it already, "it's FF with all its Changes which is breaking iMacros each time", which is a bit True btw..., even if I don't agree completely in this Case as indeed v8.9.7 keeps working in FF48-52... :D

What I understood from @TechSup is that @Dev are directly "working" on some v10 Version for FF, including I hope a few of "my" EnhReq's (hum, you could show a little bit of "Support" in my EnhReq Thread btw, ah-ah...!, it's difficult to get "things" moving on my own if I'm the only one asking for Changes... :idea:
A few of my EnhReq's have btw already been implemented in the latest Releases for iMB/IE (v11.5) and CR (v8.4.4) but I never got any Feedback from @TechSup in that Thread I think, so I'm not even sure if those "new" Changes/Improvements came from me or from some Internal Tickets or from some "Internal Thinking", ah-ah...!
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...