How to speed up Firefox loading / iMacros Script

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
helpmexd

How to speed up Firefox loading / iMacros Script

Post by helpmexd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Hey guys I need to speed up the loading of a specific page on a website. Currently my script just clicks on one button then the page reloads. It takes 1-2+ seconds for the page to load, sometimes longer. I've tried making numerous changes to Firefox (disabling images, using SpeedyFox add-on) among other things. Could someone please help me out?
serbeer

Re: How to speed up Firefox loading / iMacros Script

Post by serbeer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:08 pm

If you already tried a) disabling images with imacros FILTER keyword and b) cutting off potential ads with Adblock plug-in and those did not help, it is likely that the delay is due to web server response time rather than slow rendering by FF, and in this case you cannot do anything.

If you still believe that it is rendering speed that is the culprit, than you could try using other browsers like Chrome, but its version of iMacros plug in does not have javascript capability, so would only work if you stick to pure .iim scripting.

You could also try PaleMoon browser that many swear by, if that loads the page faster, then switching to it from FF is non-event as the older version of iMacros plug in is compatible with PaleMoon.

Hope it helps.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 pm

helpmexd wrote:Hey guys I need to speed up the loading of a specific page on a website. Currently my script just clicks on one button then the page reloads. It takes 1-2+ seconds for the page to load, sometimes longer. I've tried making numerous changes to Firefox (disabling images, using SpeedyFox add-on) among other things. Could someone please help me out?
serbeer wrote:If you already tried a) disabling images with imacros FILTER keyword and b) cutting off potential ads with Adblock plug-in and those did not help, it is likely that the delay is due to web server response time rather than slow rendering by FF, and in this case you cannot do anything.

If you still believe that it is rendering speed that is the culprit, than you could try using other browsers like Chrome, but its version of iMacros plug in does not have javascript capability, so would only work if you stick to pure .iim scripting.

You could also try PaleMoon browser that many swear by, if that loads the page faster, then switching to it from FF is non-event as the older version of iMacros plug in is compatible with PaleMoon.

Hope it helps.
I'll give my "Thoughts" once @OP will have mentioned their FCI... :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)
Hum..., and your Thread Title could use a Question Mark, you are asking a Qt and not sharing a 'HowTo'... :roll:

Yep, I agree "in the big lines" with @serbeer, I would have a few more Tricks, that I think I have already posted about in some detailed way a few months ago in some very similar Thread...

And hum, @serbeer, 'FILTER' is broken since around FF51 or FF52, I opened some Thread/Bug Report about it at that time, but nobody ever confirmed it/posted in "my" Thread, it is now completely useless and actually makes Pages need x2/x3 more time to load, oops...!
EDIT: Since FF53 actually, and here is the direct Link to that Thread:
- 'FILTER TYPE=IMAGES' crashes FF53/54...!

My "Prod" FCI, optimized for Speed and Reliability:

Code: Select all

iMacros for FF v8.8.2, Pale Moon v26.3.3 (=FF47), Win10_x64.
On 3 PM Profiles, 300-500 Tabs opened (but "only" 30-50-max_100 really loaded), 1 Profile with 24/24h-7/7d with 1 native JS Script (not iMacros) + 1 '.iim' Script both running on the same Page ('CookieClicker'), 1 Profile for all manual + Task Scheduler ('.iim' Scripts), 1 Profile for Forum + Mail + FB + Browsing + occasionally some '.iim' Scripts running (manually) from time to time if the 2 other Profiles are "busy".
And I reboot once every 3 weeks, unless I have to DJ somewhere before... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
Gringotts Bank

Post by Gringotts Bank » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 am

chivracq wrote::wink:
Hi chivracq,

I thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread. Seems to be not much info on the imacros version which will be compatible with Quantum FF. Since you're an expert user, would you have any insight please? Obviously I'm keen to get hold of a copy.

Thanks.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 am

Gringotts Bank wrote:
chivracq wrote::wink:
Hi chivracq,

I thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread. Seems to be not much info on the imacros version which will be compatible with Quantum FF. Since you're an expert user, would you have any insight please? Obviously I'm keen to get hold of a copy.

Thanks.
Euh..., don't know what "Quantum FF" is, the only "Quantum" I know is some Australian Company..., yep and in relationship with Physics of course..., hum OK maybe FF57...?

To be clear, I stepped out of FF about 5 years ago already and have since been using Pale Moon, I only maintain some FF Env. for the Forum Users, and yep I use it sometimes when I already have "too many" Scripts running at the same time (I only have 3 PM Profiles), but pffff, I usually have to kill that FF Profile pretty quickly, usually consuming 15-50% CPU by itself after the Script has finished running (and is supposed to do nothing), with only 2 or 3 Tabs open, while I have my 500 Tabs Opened in PM, and several Scripts running 7h/7h non-stop since 1 or 2 weeks, tja...!

Yeah..., drop the "Expert" ah-ah...! :shock: , keep it to "Advanced User", or maybe even better "Creative User", because that's all I am actually... :wink:
And yep of course, I'm a bit "Advanced", I guess I wouldn't be 'Mod' on the Forum otherwise, ah-ah...!, but hum, I'm not sure I will hold that Position very long, oops!, because I don't really "support" the recent Commercial "Move", so I guess I have some "criticizing" Opinion about it... :twisted:

>>>

But pffffff..., re-pffffff.......!, my "Forecast" is that iMacros' Dev is/are currently busy with some v10.x Version that will have half of its current Functionality from v9.0.3 or v8.9.7 blocked to follow the (Commercial) Path like iMacros for CR (v10.0.1), but they will do it very slowly until most Users are more or less forced to upgrade to FF57-77 and therefore to v10.x to prevent Users from keeping using previous Versions of iMacros that could still be downloaded from the Mozilla Add-ons Archive.
(Was much easier for CR as Google doesn't have any Archive for previous Versions for Add-ons/Extensions, => simply remove all Download Links from the iMacros Wiki/Site, and all Users are then forced to use/download the latest Version only available from the CR/Google Site... :oops: )
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
Gringotts Bank

Post by Gringotts Bank » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:04 am

Thank you chiv. Sounds like I will need to pay to use. Companies need to make a return on their investment - just hope it's within a reasonable price range.

Just out of interest, what sort of work requires 700 tabs open with a macro running?! Only if you're comfortable to share.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Gringotts Bank wrote:Thank you chiv. Sounds like I will need to pay to use. Companies need to make a return on their investment - just hope it's within a reasonable price range.

Just out of interest, what sort of work requires 700 tabs open with a macro running?! Only if you're comfortable to share.
Yeah well, about "ROI", I guess we've been "cherished" for too long then, with the 3 Free Add-ons for FF/IE/CR, I just don't like too much the way the Transition is taking place, it could have been planned a bit "smoother" and more transparent..., and the previous Versions could/should remain available in my Opinion...

About the Price Model, I think it's currently $89 or $99 for a "Personal Edition" (for 1 year I guess...?), you have some interesting Thread/Video about that Subject on the 'iMacros for CR' Sub-Forum from some new User (hum, calling himself "The iMacros Guru", there you have your "Expert", ah-ah...!). But OK, the Content is interesting...

About the 500 or yep probably 700 sometimes Tabs, well, I don't know, it just comes from browsing regularly between Mail / FB / the Forum / several Music Sites (I'm a DJ and always looking for some "new" Music) / etc and a few other "regular" Sites, and not really always closing all those Tabs, or only when I want to get back to some Tab that I have the "Feeling" I just opened recently and I realize it's already 50 Tabs further, oops...! :oops:
Oh I do have one Macro indeed that runs automatically from the Task Scheduler and that opens a new Tab every 4 hours, the "Idea" when I had written it was to give me some kind of Confirmation that it had indeed run correctly, and to force me to close those Tabs manually... But the Macro runs correctly and I could make it close its Tab now indeed...