Automatic Update Preference - about:config

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
Lantus

Automatic Update Preference - about:config

Post by Lantus » Fri May 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi,
My code - javascript - works perfectly on iMacros 8.8.1.1
So I want the code to set iMacros Auto-Update preference to OFF.

I already have a piece of code, to set some of the preferences of about:config

Code: Select all

"use strict";
var prefs = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch);
prefs.setBoolPref("extensions.imacros.showjs", false);
But searching for iMacros in about:config, I can't find what preference is related to the auto-update.

Any hint?

Using PaleMoon 25.0.0, imacros 8.8.1.1
chivracq

Re: Automatic Update Preference - about:config

Post by chivracq » Fri May 04, 2018 6:10 pm

Lantus wrote:Hi,
My code - javascript - works perfectly on iMacros 8.8.1.1
So I want the code to set iMacros Auto-Update preference to OFF.

I already have a piece of code, to set some of the preferences of about:config

"use strict";
var prefs = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch);
prefs.setBoolPref("extensions.imacros.showjs", false);
But searching for iMacros in about:config, I can't find what preference is related to the auto-update.

Any hint?

Using

PaleMoon 25.0.0, imacros 8.8.1.1
Hum, you could use v8.8.2 for FF (like me...!), or even v8.8.7, on PM25.

But, hum, nope you can't change the Auto-Update for FF from the 'about:config', all "imacros" Settings there are set by the Add-on itself, it would be "dangerous" if an Add-on could overwrite your Choices, I think those Settings (for each Add-on) are kept at some "higher" Level in one of the 'sqllite' FF/PM Core Modules.

Your "Solution" about 'showjs' is a bit cumbersome btw, you can set it directly at the beginning of your '.js' Script with:

//imacros-js:showsteps yes/no
... as a Comment at the Top of your Script, ah-ah...!
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
thecoder2012

Post by thecoder2012 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:31 am

chivracq wrote:But, hum, nope you can't change the Auto-Update for FF from the 'about:config', all "imacros" Settings there are set by the Add-on itself, it would be "dangerous" if an Add-on could overwrite your Choices, I think those Settings (for each Add-on) are kept at some "higher" Level in one of the 'sqllite' FF/PM Core Modules.
In the future with FF57+, maybe. :mrgreen:

Global solution for all addons:

prefs.setBoolPref("app.update.enabled", false);
prefs.setBoolPref("browser.search.update", false);
prefs.setBoolPref("extensions.update.enabled", false);
Addons with enough rights can install and uninstall XPI files but no auto-update choice (on/off). It's really crazy. :shock:
New (FF57+): WebExtensions/API/management] but required permissions
Old (FF30+): Add-on_Manager, Code Samples
Very old (with auto-update on/off, FF3+ but not higher than 29): preventing-firefox-from-updating-specific-extensions and Updating_extensions#Disabling_update_checks_for_individual_add-ons_-_Advanced_users

But the very old way is not longer possible in FF30+. I have checked MR Tech Toolkit (about:addons => uninstall because menu was broken) but not longer possible in Waterfox v55 in my tests.
chivracq wrote:I think those Settings (for each Add-on) are kept at some "higher" Level in one of the 'sqllite' FF/PM Core Modules.
Yes but I think it's possible in the old FF/PM. Addon SQLite Manager for Firefox. More security with FF 57+.
Last edited by thecoder2012 on Sun May 06, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join 9kw.eu Captcha Service now and let your iMacros continue downloads and scripts while you sleep. - Custom iMacros? Contact me! :idea:
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat May 05, 2018 10:09 am

thecoder2012 wrote:
chivracq wrote:But, hum, nope you can't change the Auto-Update for FF from the 'about:config', all "imacros" Settings there are set by the Add-on itself, it would be "dangerous" if an Add-on could overwrite your Choices, I think those Settings (for each Add-on) are kept at some "higher" Level in one of the 'sqllite' FF/PM Core Modules.
In the future with FF57+, maybe. :mrgreen:

Global solution for all addons:

prefs.setBoolPref("app.update.enabled", false);
prefs.setBoolPref("browser.search.update", false);
prefs.setBoolPref("extensions.update.enabled", false);
Addons with enough rights can install and uninstall XPI files but no auto-update choice (on/off). It's really crazy. :shock:
New (FF57+): WebExtensions/API/management] but required permissions
Old (FF30+): Add-on_Manager, Code Samples
Very old (with auto-update on/off, FF3+ but not higher than 29): preventing-firefox-from-updating-specific-extensions and Updating_extensions#Disabling_update_checks_for_individual_add-ons_-_Advanced_users

But the very old way is not longer possible in FF30+. I have checked MR Tech Toolkit (about:addons => uninstall because menu was broken) but not longer possible in Waterfox v55 in my tests.
chivracq wrote:I think those Settings (for each Add-on) are kept at some "higher" Level in one of the 'sqllite' FF/PM Core Modules.
Yes but I think it's possible in the old FF/PM. Addon SQLite Manager for Firefox. More security with FF 57+.
Oh..., interesting all the Links, Thanks...

About the 'SQLite Manager' Add-on, yep, I will try it, oops, need to restart PM, ah-ah..., will have to wait a little bit..., even if I'm always a bit "suspicious" when sbd can't speak English on one full Page, ah-ah...!

And hum, completely suspicious again about "More security with FF 57+.", ah-ah...!, my Experience is "More Security" = "Less Control for User" and usually + "Spying and Logging and Sending to some Web-Server (for "Security", just to "check", yeah...!, fuck it...!)" and Bugs and sbd will find a way to break through, and no way for the User to counter anything...!
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
thecoder2012

Post by thecoder2012 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:25 pm

chivracq wrote:About the 'SQLite Manager' Add-on, yep, I will try it, oops, need to restart PM, ah-ah..., will have to wait a little bit...,
SQLite Manager is useless in this case. But useful is JSONView + Elegant JSON Editor
I have found the option in the file extensions.json (set applyBackgroundUpdates to 0) in my profile directory. But browser restart is required with file extensions.json

Example code in Javascript for iMacros:

const {classes: Cc, interfaces: Ci, utils: Cu} = Components;
Cu.import("resource://gre/modules/osfile.jsm");
Cu.import("resource://gre/modules/Services.jsm");

var mydata = "";
var myfile = OS.Path.join(OS.Constants.Path.profileDir,'extensions.json');
OS.File.read(myfile).then(function(data) {
	mydata = (new Services.appShell.hiddenDOMWindow.TextDecoder()).decode(data);
});
iimPlayCode("WAIT SECONDS=2");

var objJSON = JSON.parse(mydata);
for (var i = 0, len = objJSON['addons'].length; i < len; ++i) {
	if(JSON.stringify(objJSON['addons'][i]['defaultLocale']['name']) == "\"iMacros for Firefox\""){
		objJSON['addons'][i]['applyBackgroundUpdates'] = 0;
		break;
	}
}
OS.File.writeAtomic(myfile,(new Services.appShell.hiddenDOMWindow.TextEncoder()).encode(JSON.stringify(objJSON))).then({});
//Browser restart
//Cc['@mozilla.org/toolkit/app-startup;1'].getService(Ci.nsIAppStartup).quit(Ci.nsIAppStartup.eAttemptQuit | Ci.nsIAppStartup.eRestart);
Tested with iMacros 8.9.7, Win8.1 and Waterfox 55
chivracq wrote:And hum, completely suspicious again about "More security with FF 57+.", ah-ah...!, my Experience is "More Security" = "Less Control for User" and usually + "Spying and Logging and Sending to some Web-Server (for "Security", just to "check", yeah...!, fuck it...!)" and Bugs and sbd will find a way to break through, and no way for the User to counter anything...!
Yes but FF is open source. You can make your own "chivracqfox"! :lol:
Join 9kw.eu Captcha Service now and let your iMacros continue downloads and scripts while you sleep. - Custom iMacros? Contact me! :idea: