SCREENSHOT inconsistency

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

SCREENSHOT inconsistency

by access2vivek on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:30 am

Configuration
  • Firefox V. 52
  • iMacros for Firefox v. 8.9.7
  • Windows 7

Problem Statement
I have created a script that reads URLs from a .csv file. It goes to that URL and takes a screenshot of the page and saves it in the specified folder. I run this script on a daily basis on a database that has 100 URLs. The problem that arises is that some days, there are 100 screenshots and some other days, there are 60 and some days around 75.

Is someone else also facing the issue or am I doing something wrong?

Code
Since the code to read a file and go to the URL and then take a screenshot is too long, I am just providing the function along with a part of the actual code.
Code: Select all
function FILE_addSP(object)
{
   object.folder=object.folder.replace(/ /g,"<SP>");
   if(object.fileName)
   object.fileName=object.fileName.replace(/ /g,"<SP>");
}
function FILE_screenshot(object)
{
   FILE_addSP(object);
   iimPlayCode("SCREENSHOT TYPE=PAGE FOLDER="+object.folder+" FILE="+object.fileName);
}
function getCurrentDate()
{
   iimPlayCode("SET !EXTRACT {{!NOW:yyyy-mm-dd}}");
   return iimGetLastExtract();
}

class File{}
var screenshot = new File();
screenshot.folder="SOME_PATH";

while(THERE_ARE_ENTRIES_IN_DATABASE)
{
screenshot.fileName=SOME_VARIABLE+"-"+getCurrentDate();
FILE_screenshot(screenshot);
}

My Thoughts
I believe there is some bug with the implementation of the "SCREENSHOT" feature. I have tried to keep the iMacros window in view and I have tried the code with keeping the window minimized and I am still facing the same problem. Is there something that I am missing? I would like some inputs.

I don't think that the problem is with the path of the file because using the same script, I get screenshots some days and don't get it on other days.

Thank you in advance for taking the time out to help :-)
Last edited by access2vivek on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
access2vivek

Re: SCREENSHOT inconsistency

by chivracq on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:54 am

access2vivek wrote:Configuration: -
=============
Firefox V. 52
iMacros for Firefox v. 8.9.7
Windows 7

Problem Statement: -
===================
I have created a script that reads URLs from a .csv file. It goes to that URL and takes a screenshot of the page and saves it in the specified folder. I run this script on a daily basis on a database that has 100 URLs. The problem that arises is that some days, there are 100 screenshots and some other days, there are 60 and some days around 75.

Is someone else also facing the issue or am I doing something wrong?

Code: -
=======
Since the code to read a file and go to the URL and then take a screenshot is too long, I am just providing the function along with a part of the actual code.

function FILE_addSP(object)
{
   object.folder=object.folder.replace(/ /g,"<SP>");
   if(object.fileName)
   object.fileName=object.fileName.replace(/ /g,"<SP>");
}
function FILE_screenshot(object)
{
   FILE_addSP(object);
   iimPlayCode("SCREENSHOT TYPE=PAGE FOLDER="+object.folder+" FILE="+object.fileName);
}
function getCurrentDate()
{
   iimPlayCode("SET !EXTRACT {{!NOW:yyyy-mm-dd}}");
   return iimGetLastExtract();
}

class File{}
var screenshot = new File();
screenshot.folder="SOME_PATH";

while(THERE_ARE_ENTRIES_IN_DATABASE)
{
screenshot.fileName=SOME_VARIABLE+"-"+getCurrentDate();
FILE_screenshot(screenshot);
}

My Thoughts: -
=============
I believe there is some bug with the implementation of the "SCREENSHOT" feature. I have tried to keep the iMacros window in view and I have tried the code with keeping the window minimized and I am still facing the same problem. Is there something that I am missing? I would like some inputs.

I don't think that the problem is with the path of the file because using the same script, I get screenshots some days and don't get it on other days.

Thank you in advance for taking the time out to help :-)

Hum, nice Quality in your Post... Compliment...! :D
(You could use the ']CODE[' Forum Meta-Tags btw to improve the "Readability" yet... :idea: )

But OK, "funny"..., I was a bit "curious" to "see" some Scripts of yours and what "Coding Style" you had, as since you've joined the Forum (Welcome btw...!), you've been answering quite a few Threads already... Nice to have one more Advanced User on the Forum...! :wink:

"Interesting" Style then, by using Classes and Functions, pretty "High Level" I would think, even if I find it in combination with iMacros a bit unnecessarily "complicated" and "cumbersome"..., (no Offense, ah-ah...!), but that's maybe the "Purpose" actually, as you are trying to sell your Scripts and obfuscating them, etc..., in order to make them indeed looking a bit "High Level" and a bit complex to modify for not very savvy Users... :wink:
The Functionality more or less that you want for example in this current Thread could be done in just a few Lines in pure '.iim', I would think... :wink:

>>>

But OK, Purpose of this Thread is to report a (possible) Bug with the 'SCREENSHOT' Command, using v8.9.7 on FF52.
But..., hum..., even if Bug there is, maybe related to the '.js' part, TechSup and Dev won't do "anything" about it as v8.9.x is not maintained anymore, they will eventually only want to check in pure '.iim' in v10.0.2 for FF, where they will probably "find out" that the 'SCREENSHOT' Command works "as expected", ah-ah...! :oops:

>>>

But I would have a few Suggs if you are trying to troubleshoot the Pb and if you would like to try to find a Solution/Workaround... :twisted:
First, I would "state", that if stg in iMacros "sometimes works", and "sometimes doesn't work", it's probably not an "iMacros Bug", or some other "Parameters" are very probably playing a Role... :idea:

1- FF52 sounds a bit like a "strange" Version to use to me, (unless you are on the 'ESR' Channel (which you don't mention), as it is I think the last 'ESR' Version before FF57(+) on which v8.9.7 doesn't work anymore), I only staid a few hours on that Version when I had updated from FF51 at that time, as I found it pretty Buggy which many Changes in Functionality from the Browser itself, and it was the first FF Version to break the iMacros 'FILTER' Command, yep, related to Images...!
That Command never worked again "properly" anymore, no Change on FF v55.0.3 that I use myself with v8.9.7 for FF, that Command now actually slows down loading "heavy" Pages with lots of Images, compared to 'FILTER=OFF'...

2- I don't really use the 'SCREENSHOT' Command or only rarely and a bit "manually" on a Page from my Banking Site that I have already manually loaded, (oh...!, and I actually only use it in some even older Version of iMacros for FF: v8.8.2 on Pale Moon v26.3.3, and it works for me), so I don't really know how it "behaves" with '!ERRORIGNORE' and if the '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' Threshold has been reached and if the Page is still trying to finish loading from the Browser, I've never checked in the iMacros Source Code how the 'SCREENSHOT' Command was implemented, but it could be using some native JS Command that is not "available" (yet) if some Page is still loading...
=> But you could try to find out if there is some "Correlation" between the Screenshot not being saved if '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' has been reached by including some Logging to your Script (to make it a little bit more "robust" and for Debugging/Troubleshooting) by saving 1 or 2 'STOPWATCH' / '!STOPWATCHTIME' Value(s) to "compare" with your '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' Value... :idea:

3- Switch the 'PROFILER' on... :idea:

4- Logging as a "Good Practice" in my Opinion, include the ReturnCode for your:

Forcing a ReturnCode for 'iimPlay()' or 'iimPlayCode()' is a "Good Advice" anyway, even if you don't do anything with it, there have been "Reports" for years that iMacros or the JS Engine doesn't always wait for the Code in those 2 Commands to execute/finish if a ReturnCode is not specified... :idea:

5- Add some mini-'WAIT' Statement(s) around the 'SCREENSHOT', your Script does quite a lot of rapid "Actions" on the Local File System where iMacros + the JS-Engine + the Browser + the OS are involved + probably some AntiVirus, it's "easy" to get a Lock on a File if all Actions are too rapid in time... :idea:

6- You could add for each Page some "fake" 'TAG' (+ 'EXTRACT') before and after the 'SCREENSHOT', on the 'TYPE=TITLE' + the 'HREF' for the 1st Image and/or some "short" 'EXTRACT' (=> '=TITLE' or '=ALT' for example) on say, the 5th or 10th 'DIV', to save in the Log as well... :idea:

7- Next to using the 'SCREENSHOT' Command, you could include as well a 'SAVEAS TYPE=PNG' (and/or '=JPEG') for each Page to compare if you get the same "Results". :idea:

8- Next to using the 'SCREENSHOT' from some on-the-fly '.iim' Macro, you could (also) fire an 'iimTakeBrowserScreenshot()' directly from your '.js' Script, again to compare if you get the same "Results", using a slightly different FileName or in a different Folder of course, (for '7-' as well), and log its ReturnCode altogether... :idea:

:arrow: OK, those are just a few Ideas..., and I probably forgot a few...! Good Luck...! :wink:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by access2vivek on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:24 am

chivracq wrote:Hum, nice Quality in your Post... Compliment...! :D

Thank you so much for the compliment. I had read a few posts before so I thought I should make my questions precise :p
chivracq wrote:(You could use the ']CODE[' Forum Meta-Tags btw to improve the "Readability" yet... :idea: )

I was not aware of that. I will definitely try that from my next posts!
chivracq wrote:But OK, "funny"..., I was a bit "curious" to "see" some Scripts of yours and what "Coding Style" you had, as since you've joined the Forum (Welcome btw...!),

Thank you so much chivracq for the welcome :-D. I am glad to be a part of this community.
chivracq wrote:you've been answering quite a few Threads already... Nice to have one more Advanced User on the Forum...! :wink:

I wouldn't call myself advanced because I am still learning to use iMacros optimally :D
chivracq wrote:"Interesting" Style then, by using Classes and Functions, pretty "High Level" I would think, even if I find it in combination with iMacros a bit unnecessarily "complicated" and "cumbersome"..., (no Offense, ah-ah...!), but that's maybe the "Purpose" actually, as you are trying to sell your Scripts and obfuscating them, etc..., in order to make them indeed looking a bit "High Level" and a bit complex to modify for not very savvy Users... :wink:

I am not a very advanced user of iMacros and I am still learning how I can create BETTER scripts. I actually have created what can be known as "libraries" which are a collection of functions that can be re-used. So, instead of writing the entire code again and again, I can simply call those methods and create different scripts for a social media platform. I have created scripts for platforms such as Twitter, WhatsApp and Instagram which allow me to run everything on automation. If there is a better way to code with iim, I would really love to learn that.

chivracq wrote:But..., hum..., even if Bug there is, maybe related to the '.js' part, TechSup and Dev won't do "anything" about it as v8.9.x is not maintained anymore, they will eventually only want to check in pure '.iim' in v10.0.2 for FF, where they will probably "find out" that the 'SCREENSHOT' Command works "as expected", ah-ah...! :oops:

That is sad for me. It is a great version of the script that is totally free to use and has A LOT of features that are not supported in the future versions. So, I am trying to use it for my scripts. May be I can make a change directly in the iMacros add-on code :lol:

chivracq wrote:1- FF52 sounds a bit like a "strange" Version to use to me, (unless you are on the 'ESR' Channel (which you don't mention), as it is I think the last 'ESR' Version before FF57(+) on which v8.9.7 doesn't work anymore), I only staid a few hours on that Version when I had updated from FF51 at that time, as I found it pretty Buggy which many Changes in Functionality from the Browser itself, and it was the first FF Version to break the iMacros 'FILTER' Command, yep, related to Images...!
That Command never worked again "properly" anymore, no Change on FF v55.0.3 that I use myself with v8.9.7 for FF, that Command now actually slows down loading "heavy" Pages with lots of Images, compared to 'FILTER=OFF'...

2- I don't really use the 'SCREENSHOT' Command or only rarely and a bit "manually" on a Page from my Banking Site that I have already manually loaded, (oh...!, and I actually only use it in some even older Version of iMacros for FF: v8.8.2 on Pale Moon v26.3.3, and it works for me), so I don't really know how it "behaves" with '!ERRORIGNORE' and if the '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' Threshold has been reached and if the Page is still trying to finish loading from the Browser, I've never checked in the iMacros Source Code how the 'SCREENSHOT' Command was implemented, but it could be using some native JS Command that is not "available" (yet) if some Page is still loading...
=> But you could try to find out if there is some "Correlation" between the Screenshot not being saved if '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' has been reached by including some Logging to your Script (to make it a little bit more "robust" and for Debugging/Troubleshooting) by saving 1 or 2 'STOPWATCH' / '!STOPWATCHTIME' Value(s) to "compare" with your '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' Value... :idea:

Forcing a ReturnCode for 'iimPlay()' or 'iimPlayCode()' is a "Good Advice" anyway, even if you don't do anything with it, there have been "Reports" for years that iMacros or the JS Engine doesn't always wait for the Code in those 2 Commands to execute/finish if a ReturnCode is not specified... :idea:

5- Add some mini-'WAIT' Statement(s) around the 'SCREENSHOT', your Script does quite a lot of rapid "Actions" on the Local File System where iMacros + the JS-Engine + the Browser + the OS are involved + probably some AntiVirus, it's "easy" to get a Lock on a File if all Actions are too rapid in time... :idea:

6- You could add for each Page some "fake" 'TAG' (+ 'EXTRACT') before and after the 'SCREENSHOT', on the 'TYPE=TITLE' + the 'HREF' for the 1st Image and/or some "short" 'EXTRACT' (=> '=TITLE' or '=ALT' for example) on say, the 5th or 10th 'DIV', to save in the Log as well... :idea:

7- Next to using the 'SCREENSHOT' Command, you could include as well a 'SAVEAS TYPE=PNG' (and/or '=JPEG') for each Page to compare if you get the same "Results". :idea:

8- Next to using the 'SCREENSHOT' from some on-the-fly '.iim' Macro, you could (also) fire an 'iimTakeBrowserScreenshot()' directly from your '.js' Script, again to compare if you get the same "Results", using a slightly different FileName or in a different Folder of course, (for '7-' as well), and log its ReturnCode altogether... :idea:

:arrow: OK, those are just a few Ideas..., and I probably forgot a few...! Good Luck...! :wink:

Thank you so much for all these ideas. I never thought of testing them out. I will try all of them and find out where the problem is. These are some really helpful ideas mate. You are AWESOME! Also, I was scared to try the other versions of Firefox, but now, I will try version 57 :D! Thank you for such a prompt reply and making this iMacros community great.
access2vivek

by chivracq on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:58 am

access2vivek wrote:
chivracq wrote:Hum, nice Quality in your Post... Compliment...! :D

Thank you so much for the compliment. I had read a few posts before so I thought I should make my questions precise :p
chivracq wrote:(You could use the ']CODE[' Forum Meta-Tags btw to improve the "Readability" yet... :idea: )

chivracq wrote:But OK, "funny"..., I was a bit "curious" to "see" some Scripts of yours and what "Coding Style" you had, as since you've joined the Forum (Welcome btw...!),

Thank you so much chivracq for the welcome :-D. I am glad to be a part of this community.
chivracq wrote:you've been answering quite a few Threads already... Nice to have one more Advanced User on the Forum...! :wink:

I wouldn't call myself advanced because I am still learning to use iMacros optimally :D
chivracq wrote:"Interesting" Style then, by using Classes and Functions, pretty "High Level" I would think, even if I find it in combination with iMacros a bit unnecessarily "complicated" and "cumbersome"..., (no Offense, ah-ah...!), but that's maybe the "Purpose" actually, as you are trying to sell your Scripts and obfuscating them, etc..., in order to make them indeed looking a bit "High Level" and a bit complex to modify for not very savvy Users... :wink:

I am not a very advanced user of iMacros and I am still learning how I can create BETTER scripts. I actually have created what can be known as "libraries" which are a collection of functions that can be re-used. So, instead of writing the entire code again and again, I can simply call those methods and create different scripts for a social media platform. I have created scripts for platforms such as Twitter, WhatsApp and Instagram which allow me to run everything on automation. If there is a better way to code with iim, I would really love to learn that.

chivracq wrote:But..., hum..., even if Bug there is, maybe related to the '.js' part, TechSup and Dev won't do "anything" about it as v8.9.x is not maintained anymore, they will eventually only want to check in pure '.iim' in v10.0.2 for FF, where they will probably "find out" that the 'SCREENSHOT' Command works "as expected", ah-ah...! :oops:

That is sad for me. It is a great version of the script that is totally free to use and has A LOT of features that are not supported in the future versions. So, I am trying to use it for my scripts. May be I can make a change directly in the iMacros add-on code :lol:

Classes and Functions included in some Library/Framework is indeed a good Idea for Reusability and Maintenance.... I would have some Ideas and Thoughts about that and the different "Coding Styles or Strategies" with iMacros, I was for example for maybe 3 years more or less the only User doing all my Conditional Logic in pure '.iim' ('.js' was then "the Standard") until it got more and more adopted by other Users (as it would work in other Browsers than only FF with '.js' Scripts), and now that '.js' Scripts are even not supported anymore in v10.0.2 for FF, it's actually the only way left... But OK, that's a bit beyond the Scope of this Thread and the 'SCREENSHOT' Command, ah-ah...!

I don't do anything in '.js' Scripts, so any User using a bit "complex" '.js' Scripts already looks Advanced to me, ah-ah...! :oops:

And yep, customizing the Add-on is also a good Idea, especially if you are already a bit Advanced in JS, I've been running my own customized Version(s) of iMacros for FF for years already, it's quite fun actually... Several Threads about that on the Forum... 8)

access2vivek wrote:
chivracq wrote:1- FF52 sounds a bit like a "strange" Version to use to me, (unless you are on the 'ESR' Channel (which you don't mention), as it is I think the last 'ESR' Version before FF57(+) on which v8.9.7 doesn't work anymore), I only staid a few hours on that Version when I had updated from FF51 at that time, as I found it pretty Buggy which many Changes in Functionality from the Browser itself, and it was the first FF Version to break the iMacros 'FILTER' Command, yep, related to Images...!

Thank you so much for all these ideas. I never thought of testing them out. I will try all of them and find out where the problem is. These are some really helpful ideas mate. You are AWESOME! Also, I was scared to try the other versions of Firefox, but now, I will try version 57 :D! Thank you for such a prompt reply and making this iMacros community great.

OK, waiting for your Results about the Suggs I made, but watch out: v8.9.7 DOES NOT WORK anymore on FF57..., it works until FF56 only...!
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by access2vivek on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:02 am

chivracq wrote:Classes and Functions included in some Library/Framework is indeed a good Idea for Reusability and Maintenance.... I would have some Ideas and Thoughts about that and the different "Coding Styles or Strategies" with iMacros, I was for example for maybe 3 years more or less the only User doing all my Conditional Logic in pure '.iim' ('.js' was then "the Standard") until it got more and more adopted by other Users (as it would work in other Browsers than only FF with '.js' Scripts), and now that '.js' Scripts are even not supported anymore in v10.0.2 for FF, it's actually the only way left... But OK, that's a bit beyond the Scope of this Thread and the 'SCREENSHOT' Command, ah-ah...!

I don't do anything in '.js' Scripts, so any User using a bit "complex" '.js' Scripts already looks Advanced to me, ah-ah...! :oops:

I initially started with .iim, but eventually switched to .js as there was greater flexibility and control. I would love to discuss the "Coding Styles or Strategies" if there is a way to do so. I could not find a PM service or a chat room. May be we can connect on Facebook or Instagram or something like that?

chivracq wrote:And yep, customizing the Add-on is also a good Idea, especially if you are already a bit Advanced in JS, I've been running my own customized Version(s) of iMacros for FF for years already, it's quite fun actually... Several Threads about that on the Forum... 8)

I will definitely be checking those out. It would be great if you can guide me on that!

chivracq wrote:OK, waiting for your Results about the Suggs I made, but watch out: v8.9.7 DOES NOT WORK anymore on FF57..., it works until FF56 only...!

Alright. I will try everything on FF57 and share the results.
access2vivek

by thecoder2012 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:49 am

access2vivek wrote:

Edit function is available! :!:
And it's better readable with few tags like Bold or Underline or List :wink:

Configuration:
  • Firefox V. 52
  • iMacros for Firefox v. 8.9.7
  • Windows 7
source code
[u][b][size=120]Configuration:[/size][/b][/u]
[list]
[*]Firefox V. 52
[*]iMacros for Firefox v. 8.9.7
[*]Windows 7[/list]

chivracq wrote:OK, waiting for your Results about the Suggs I made, but watch out: v8.9.7 DOES NOT WORK anymore on FF57..., it works until FF56 only...!

Yes but it's a little limited with FF56, better Pale Moon with v8.9.7 (or 8.8.2) because security is required in this world. Waterfox (v56) with iMacros 8.9.7 is nice but in the last time was Pale Moon useful (example).
Join 9kw.eu Captcha Service now and let your iMacros continue downloads and scripts while you sleep. - Custom iMacros? Contact me!
thecoder2012

Return to iMacros for Firefox