Imacro to reply to a mail in gmail

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Imacro to reply to a mail in gmail

by regstuff on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:16 am

FCI: Firefox 49.0b2-64bit, iMacros 9.0.3, Windows 10-64 bit

Trying to create a macro that will open gmail (login info is saved in the browser), search for a particular phrase "VP-2422", then click the topmost result, and reply to that mail with a standard text. I've managed to do everything listed, including clicking the reply button. But I'm unable to fill the reply textbox with the text. Not having much luck figuring out the ATTR elements to use to fill in the textbox. My code currently is below. I've added WAIT SECONDS=10 every once in a while because gmail seems to take some time to load some elements and the macro was timing out. ANy help is much appreciated.

Code: Select all
VERSION BUILD=9030808 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
URL GOTO=https://mail.google.com/

'ENTER TEXT INTO SEARCH FIELD
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aso_search_form_anchor ATTR=NAME:q CONTENT=VP-2422
WAIT SECONDS=10

'CLICK THE MAGNIFYING GLASS FOR SEARCH
TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON FORM=ID:aso_search_form_anchor ATTR=ARIA-LABEL:Search<SP>Mail*
WAIT SECONDS=10

'CLICK ON THE FIRST MAIL
TAG POS=2 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:VP-2422*
WAIT SECONDS=10
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=ID::nv
WAIT SECONDS=10

'THIS IS THE BIT WHERE I'M TRYING TO ADD TEXT INTO THE REPLY BOX.
TAG POS=1 TYPE=DIV ATTR=CLASS:gmail_default CONTENT=TEST<SP>TEST
regstuff

Re: Imacro to reply to a mail in gmail

by chivracq on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 pm

regstuff wrote:FCI:
Firefox 49.0b2-64bit, iMacros 9.0.3, Windows 10-64 bit

Trying to create a macro that will open gmail (login info is saved in the browser), search for a particular phrase "VP-2422", then click the topmost result, and reply to that mail with a standard text. I've managed to do everything listed, including clicking the reply button. But I'm unable to fill the reply textbox with the text. Not having much luck figuring out the ATTR elements to use to fill in the textbox. My code currently is below. I've added WAIT SECONDS=10 every once in a while because gmail seems to take some time to load some elements and the macro was timing out. ANy help is much appreciated.

VERSION BUILD=9030808 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
URL GOTO=https://mail.google.com/

'ENTER TEXT INTO SEARCH FIELD
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aso_search_form_anchor ATTR=NAME:q CONTENT=VP-2422
WAIT SECONDS=10

'CLICK THE MAGNIFYING GLASS FOR SEARCH
TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON FORM=ID:aso_search_form_anchor ATTR=ARIA-LABEL:Search<SP>Mail*
WAIT SECONDS=10

'CLICK ON THE FIRST MAIL
TAG POS=2 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:VP-2422*
WAIT SECONDS=10
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=ID::nv
WAIT SECONDS=10

'THIS IS THE BIT WHERE I'M TRYING TO ADD TEXT INTO THE REPLY BOX.
TAG POS=1 TYPE=DIV ATTR=CLASS:gmail_default CONTENT=TEST<SP>TEST

Yeah, a 'DIV' is not an 'INPUT' Element for the 'TAG' Mode afaik, or put in other words: the 'CONTENT' Parameter only works for Elements that the 'TAG' Mode "identifies" as 'TYPE=INPUT' Elements, by Design I think, that part of the "Core Code" of iMacros has never changed I think since the 1st Version of iMacros, more than 10 years ago...), you may want to use the 'EVENT' Mode for that part, which usually works better for such Pages... (and that kind of editable 'DIV' Elements...) :idea:

Another "Idea" would be to use the Gmail "Classic HTML" View which has a more "straightforward" HTML Structure for the Page and no real-time JS Scripts running (and dynamically) changing the Content (and the Structure) of the Page... :idea:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

by regstuff on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:38 am

Well thanks. After playing around with the various recording options, I just switched to basic html. Much more straightforward. :D
regstuff

by chivracq on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:19 am

regstuff wrote:Well thanks. After playing around with the various recording options, I just switched to basic html. Much more straightforward. :D

Yep, very good... :D , would have been my first Choice also I think, for Reliability-sake, the 'EVENT' Mode would work also on the "Full" View, but pfff, might get broken regularly through all Changes Gmail undergoes regularly, and if you receive some Chat or Circles or Google+ Msg/Notification or whatever gets pushed to your Screen... :wink:
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Return to iMacros for Firefox