iMacros to fill out forms

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
BLiTzKrIeGx1337

iMacros to fill out forms

Post by BLiTzKrIeGx1337 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi, I am trying to quickly fill out forms that have the same layout with different information that exists within the form itself. Having little knowledge of the scripting thus far, I'm having trouble understanding how to tell the macro to copy and paste. And I don't really understand how "TAG" works, this is the macro I've got so far after recording and editing based on what I've read:

Code: Select all

VERSION BUILD=10021450
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="a" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="c" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
FRAME F=14
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=TXT: EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="v" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
FRAME F=0
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__SKU EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="a" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__SKU EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="c" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__StorefrontName EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="a" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__StorefrontName EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="v" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="a" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="v" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
When I try to run this I get SyntaxError: wrong format of TAG command at line 2

An example of what I'm trying to do is copy something in box a, paste it into box d, then copy what in box c and replace box a and b with that text.

I'm also not quite sure what the "FRAME" function is.

I hope this makes sense, any help would be greatly appreciated.

64bit Windows 10, Firefox version 70.0.1 (64-bit), iMacros 10.0.2.1450 free
Last edited by BLiTzKrIeGx1337 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chivracq

Re: Imacro to fill out forms, help

Post by chivracq » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:16 am

BLiTzKrIeGx1337 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:31 pm
Hi, I am trying to quickly fill out forms that have the same layout with different information that exists within the form itself. Having little knowledge of the scripting thus far, I'm having trouble understanding how to tell the macro to copy and paste. And I don't really understand how "TAG" works, this is the macro I've got so far after recording and editing based on what I've read:

VERSION BUILD=10021450
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="c" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
FRAME F=14
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=TXT: EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="v" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
FRAME F=0
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__SKU EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="a" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__SKU EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="c" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__StorefrontName EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="a" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__StorefrontName EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="v" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=ATTR CHAR="v" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
When I try to run this I get SyntaxError: wrong format of TAG command at line 2

An example of what I'm trying to do is copy something in box a, paste it into box d, then copy what in box c and replace box a and b with that text.

I'm also not quite sure what the "FRAME" function is.

I hope this makes sense, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, "help", the most useless Word on a Tech Forum, ah-ah...!, especially in a Thread Title...! :roll:
=> Read the Forum Rules rather...! :idea:
=> FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)

And I approved your Post because "Clean IP" + "No Spam" + "Fairly good Quality" (except "didn't read the Forum Rules" and FCI not mentioned of course! :shock: ), but try to select the "correct" Sub-Forum next time you open a Thread, this one has probably nothing specific to FF, especially if you don't even mention your FCI... :wink:
(But no need to duplicate now... :wink: )
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Re: Imacro to fill out forms, help

Post by chivracq » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:32 am

Hum..., and I had a look at your Script though (I usually don't even read when FCI is not mentioned, or only to check for (hidden) Spam-Links), but oh Dear...!, what have you done to iMacros, ah-ah...!? :shock:

=> Nope-nope-nope, it won't work this way...!, although hum..., I won't blame you, nice Try actually...! 8) , that's exactly the Way I "discovered" many "hidden"/"undocumented"/"not-meant-to-work-this-way-by-Design" Features/Behaviours, ah-ah...! :twisted:
And it's nice to be "Creative", but you first need to know how iMacros works "by Design" before you can try to push the Software "to the Extreme"... :wink:

But Compliments on your 'Creative" Mind, => now remove that useless "help" for your Thread Title, spell "iMacros" correctly (currently contains 3 Typos...!, in just one Word...! :shock: , but don't be too proud, I think the Record is at 6 or 7 Typos in the Word, ah-ah...!), and mention your FCI of course... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
BLiTzKrIeGx1337

Re: iMacros to fill out forms

Post by BLiTzKrIeGx1337 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:19 am

chivracq wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:32 am
But Compliments on your 'Creative" Mind, => now remove that useless "help" for your Thread Title, spell "iMacros" correctly (currently contains 3 Typos...!, in just one Word...! :shock: , but don't be too proud, I think the Record is at 6 or 7 Typos in the Word, ah-ah...!), and mention your FCI of course... :wink:
Hey, thanks for authorizing the post and checking it out, I fixed some of the problems with it you mentioned. I'm new here and was really just sort of in a rush to figure at least this part out. I got a fubar situation dumped on me at work and only remembered Macros potentially being helpful here because of my experience on an old browser game called Tribal Wars where I used Perfect Automation, however that same method won't with the task at hand, at least not without editing scripts and unfortunately I have little knowledge about all the different commands, based on how it looks now and the information I've posted, is there a way that you see it being able to work? Or any other advice on it would be useful, I actually fully intend to sift through the mountains of info on the iMacros wiki to automate the job even further but right now its a bit of a time crunch as in only a few hours if I don't have a working macro I'm faced with the grueling task of inputting it all by hand so its ready for Monday lol.

The build is in the code, I'm running on 64bit Windows 10 and using Firefox version 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Thanks
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:57 am

BLiTzKrIeGx1337 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:19 am
Hey, thanks for authorizing the post and checking it out, I fixed some of the problems with it you mentioned. I'm new here and was really just sort of in a rush to figure at least this part out. I got a fubar situation dumped on me at work and only remembered Macros potentially being helpful here because of my experience on an old browser game called Tribal Wars where I used Perfect Automation, however that same method won't with the task at hand, at least not without editing scripts and unfortunately I have little knowledge about all the different commands, based on how it looks now and the information I've posted, is there a way that you see it being able to work? Or any other advice on it would be useful, I actually fully intend to sift through the mountains of info on the iMacros wiki to automate the job even further but right now its a bit of a time crunch as in only a few hours if I don't have a working macro I'm faced with the grueling task of inputting it all by hand so its ready for Monday lol.

The build is in the code, I'm running on 64bit Windows 10 and using Firefox vers ... 1 (64-bit)

Thanks

Yep, good about the Thread Title (about spelling "iMacros" correctly and removing the useless "help"), but your FCI is still a bit unclear, and I don't do any "Thinking" until I know exactly which FCI you are using...
=> FF v70_x64 + Win10_x64.
+ iMacros for FF v10.0.2, I reckon, from your Script, + is the only Version that works on FF70, but 'Free' or 'PE'...?

And all the 'EVENT' Commands you've tried to add/combine inside the 'TAG' Mode Statements, where did you "get them from"...!? :o
The 'EVENT' Mode is not even supported (anymore) in v10.0.2 for FF...!

You do have a "CONTENT=EVENT" Parameter for the 'TAG' Mode, but the "EVENT" Keyword in it has nothing to do with the 'EVENT' Mode, that Parameter already existed 8 or 10 years before the 'EVENT' Mode ever got implemented for the first time, and it's just a "complete Hazard" 9well, more or less...!) that both Words are the same..., but they both don't have anything at all in common or related...

But OK, never mind about the "where did you get them from"..., I'm waiting for your FCI, should have taken 30 Sec if you had read the Forum Rules, you need to "focus" for a few Minutes if you want to get your Script to work to met your "Deadline"... What you want is not difficult...
+ Can you post your FCI at the complete beginning of your OP...?
Following (simplified) Format is OK:

iMacros for FF v10.0.2 ['Free'/'PE'...?], FF70_x64, Win10_x64.
>>>

Hum, and I'm soon going to bed, but what you need is to use the 'EXTRACT' Mechanism with the 'TAG' Mode for the "Copy" part, and "{{!EXTRACT}}" for the "Paste" part, with a "SET !EXTRACT NULL" between each 'EXTRACT'... :idea:

The 'Ctrl^c' + 'Ctrl^v' Method you were trying to use only works with the 'EVENT' Mode indeed... (But in "pure" 'EVENT' Mode, not in your "Creative Hybrid-Mix" of the 'EVENT' Mode embedded within the 'TAG' Mode, ah-ah...!)
BLiTzKrIeGx1337

Post by BLiTzKrIeGx1337 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:05 pm

chivracq wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:57 am
Hum, and I'm soon going to bed, but what you need is to use the 'EXTRACT' Mechanism with the 'TAG' Mode for the "Copy" part, and "{{!EXTRACT}}" for the "Paste" part, with a "SET !EXTRACT NULL" between each 'EXTRACT'... :idea:

The 'Ctrl^c' + 'Ctrl^v' Method you were trying to use only works with the 'EVENT' Mode indeed... (But in "pure" 'EVENT' Mode, not in your "Creative Hybrid-Mix" of the 'EVENT' Mode embedded within the 'TAG' Mode, ah-ah...!)
I've put the FCI at the bottom of the post, I actually didn't know until recently that there was a paid version, I'm interested in it, what are the major differences between the free version and the paid version?

I've tried to use extract but I'm doing something wrong, I researched it and I think the problem is just with my structuring although I'm not sure exactly what the problem is:

VERSION BUILD=10021450
TAG POS=1 TYPE=EXTRACT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
SET !CLIPBOARD {{!EXTRACT}}
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:HTML
FRAME F=14
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=TXT: CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
SET !EXTRACT NULL
For context, this is only the part where I'm trying to Copy the text in box "a" and paste it in box "d" then null out the extracted text to get ready to move "c"

I found the definitions of "TYPE", "ATTR", "FORM", and the like although I still don't fully understand the structuring based on that. I'm confident that once I've made a working script that I can better understand it, but... yeah.

BTW, I'm getting the error:

RuntimeError: element EXTRACT specified by ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name was not found, line: 3
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm

BLiTzKrIeGx1337 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:05 pm
I've put the FCI at the bottom of the post, I actually didn't know until recently that there was a paid version, I'm interested in it, what are the major differences between the free version and the paid version?

I've tried to use extract but I'm doing something wrong, I researched it and I think the problem is just with my structuring although I'm not sure exactly what the problem is:

VERSION BUILD=10021450
TAG POS=1 TYPE=EXTRACT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
SET !CLIPBOARD {{!EXTRACT}}
FRAME F=14
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=TXT: CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
SET !EXTRACT NULL
For context, this is only the part where I'm trying to Copy the text in box "a" and paste it in box "d" then null out the extracted text to get ready to move "c"

I found the definitions of "TYPE", "ATTR", "FORM", and the like although I still don't fully understand the structuring based on that. I'm confident that once I've made a working script that I can better understand it, but... yeah.

BTW, I'm getting the error:

RuntimeError: element EXTRACT specified by ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name was not found, line: 3

Oh...!, good, I was just about to post a mini-Post to ask you if you had made any "Progress", ah-ah...! :wink:

>>>

OK for your FCI, I "prefer" it at the complete beginning of the OP when opening a new Thread as it is the first (and nearly only) bit of Info I'm "looking for" to decide if I will read the Post, but at the bottom is OK also, as long as it is (clearly) mentioned...

64bit Windows 10, Firefox version 70.0.1 (64-bit), iMacros 10.0.2.1450 free
>>>

Well, the Diffs between the 'Free' and the 'PE' Versions is that the 'Free' Version has a few Limitations: No File-Access (you can't use a 'DataSource' nor use the 'SAVE TYPE=EXTRACT' Mechanism to save some Data locally; Variables are limited to the 3 '!VAR[1-3]' (which is a bit useless anyway as it can easily be bypassed and forces Users to keep reusing the same Vars in a Script which is not a "Best Practice" in my Opinion; you cannot use User-Defined Vars; Scripts are limited to 50 Lines; and Looping s limited to 100 Loops.
(And the 'Free' Version is now "meant" for Home Users, Ipswitch/Progress now expect Business/Professional Users to take a 'PE' (or higher) License...)

>>>

But OK, for your Script, you are still making "a bit of a mess" with it, ah-ah...! :shock: :wink:

But OK, one Example, if for example you want to extract the "Name" I see from your original Script, to paste it in the 'TEXTAREA' Field:

SET !EXTRACT NULL
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name EXTRACT=TXT
FRAME F=14
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=TXT:* CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
Or if you want to paste that same 'Name' in the 'StorefrontName' Field, as I'm not completely sure a 'TEXTAREA' Field will accept some Input from the 'TAG' Mode':

SET !EXTRACT NULL
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name EXTRACT=TXT
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__StorefrontName CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
BLiTzKrIeGx1337

Post by BLiTzKrIeGx1337 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:13 pm

chivracq wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm
But OK, for your Script, you are still making "a bit of a mess" with it, ah-ah...! :shock: :wink:

But OK, one Example, if for example you want to extract the "Name" I see from your original Script, to paste it in the 'TEXTAREA' Field:

SET !EXTRACT NULL
FRAME F=14
Or if you want to paste that same 'Name' in the 'StorefrontName' Field, as I'm not completely sure a 'TEXTAREA' Field will accept some Input from the 'TAG' Mode':

SET !EXTRACT NULL
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__StorefrontName CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
So, I understand what you did, and the first extract and paste works, I tried to apply the same bit of logic to the next part, which is copying whats in box "c" to put it in "a" and "b". Here's what I came up with:

VERSION BUILD=10021450
SET !EXTRACT_TEST_POPUP NO
SET !EXTRACT NULL
FRAME F=14
SET !EXTRACT NULL
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__SKU EXTRACT=TXT
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
And its not working, it comes up with the error

RuntimeError: element INPUT specified by ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name was not found, line: 10
On that note also, when pasting an extract into a box that already has text in it, does the text in the receiving box need to be deleted? Or will the extract "replace" whatever is in there?
BLiTzKrIeGx1337

Post by BLiTzKrIeGx1337 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:22 am

It works now, here's my script:

VERSION BUILD=10021450
SET !EXTRACT_TEST_POPUP NO
SET !EXTRACT NULL
FRAME F=14
SET !EXTRACT NULL
FRAME F=0
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__SKU EXTRACT=TXT
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:aspnetForm ATTR=ID:ctl00_ctl00_C_M_ctl00_W_ctl01__Name CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}
SET !EXTRACT NULL
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:Design
I wanted to go further and input the HTML codes in the TEXTAREA, but I couldn't figure out how to add them into the correct place. It'll help out a lot as it is now though.

What I really want to get into though is automating the updating of these further. I was thinking I could use excel for this, do you have any tips on what I should research that could help me with this?