A guide to sharing macros via bookmarklets

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
Tech Support

Re: A guide to sharing bookmarks, macros and scripts

Post by Tech Support » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:04 pm

Most of these imacros have the loop functionality.
There are two options:

1. Tell your coworkers to start the macro with the LOOP button instead of the PLAY button

2. Add the macro code to a Javascript code (via iimPlay ("CODE:....")). Then you only need to share this Javascript and it will have all the loops you need built-in.
windmarble

Post by windmarble » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:40 pm

I am having problems running a script. iMacros 6.1.1.4 is installed but when I run a macro embedded into a web page, it says I need to install iMacros again. I know the macro works cause I can copy it and paste it into Firefox's Address Bar. I added "run.imacros.net" to the allowed list. Any ideas?
giorgio79

Post by giorgio79 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 am

Hello,

Two questions related to this functionality:

1. What is the limit of the Macro length that can be shared this way? I am thinking of a character number limit if one...
2. Does the macro or js file shared this way gets stored on the user's computer?
Share your imacros easily http://www.sharemacro.com/imacro-directory
Internet Marketing imacros http://www.sharemacro.com
daz

Post by daz » Sun May 30, 2010 9:21 am

please help i can only get my macro to run from bookmarks how do i run it from sheduled task
Nil Einne

Post by Nil Einne » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:53 am

Hi, I'm not sure whether to post here or in the forums.

Anyway I'm using the latest version of iMacros for FF VERSION BUILD=7110203 RECORDER=FX

Trying to share a macro, there seems to be two problems.

1) With both tiny.url and the other URL shorterning service (can't remember the name but not Google) sharing doesn't work very well. You get a dialog box asking you if you want to install iMacros even though it's already installed. Perhaps this is more of a FF/URL shorterning issue but it's a bit annoying and confusing. Edit: You can use the preview service of tiny.url and that works. Also I've tried Goo.gl now but it doesn't work (say's invalid address), I guess because my address is too long.

2) A bigger issue is I seem to be having the same issue as unoriju1. Even when I used the full URL I don't get any options, the macro just runs. This makes it difficult to save (need to tell the user to manually rename #Current.im) and doesn't work with macros needing loops. I have tried this on 2 different installations of Firefox on different computers same issue. I removed the macro just to make sure it isn't conflicting. This also happens with a URL shorterning service if you install the plugin again and restart. Edit: I worked out what the problem is now. If you just copy and paste the URL into the address bar you don't get the warning I guess because it's not properly detected as coming from somewhere untrusted but coming locally. If you click on a link in a HTML file, it's detected as coming from an untrusted site so you do get the prompt. If you open the URL from say an email client or IM it's also likely to not be detected as untrusted so just runs although I haven't tested this properly yet.

Cheers
giorgio79

Post by giorgio79 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:42 am

You can also easily try and share macros here:
http://www.sharemacro.com/imacro-directory
Share your imacros easily http://www.sharemacro.com/imacro-directory
Internet Marketing imacros http://www.sharemacro.com
Jan.

Post by Jan. » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:02 am

Tech Support wrote:simply tag them “for:imacros” and we will review and add them to our collection for all iMacros users to enjoy:
these links are broken, where can I get macros ?
unclebens

Post by unclebens » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:10 pm

Thank you for the tips!!!it saved me loads of time and money.
just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. :D
lccseh

Post by lccseh » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:03 pm

sorry for this newbie question, but i cannot find the answer here or in the documentation.

the share macro options seem to create javascript. so if i email that to a firefox user, how exactly do they install it?

and do they need to install imacros for firefox first?

thanks,

les
bobis

Post by bobis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:45 pm

lccseh wrote:sorry for this newbie question, but i cannot find the answer here or in the documentation.

the share macro options seem to create javascript. so if i email that to a firefox user, how exactly do they install it?

and do they need to install imacros for firefox first?

thanks,

les
yes they will need to install imacros add-on first and after the click it will run the script on their computer
Get Best iMacros scripts at http://imacrosbot.com/
MOtasembt

Re: A guide to sharing macros via bookmarklets

Post by MOtasembt » Fri May 30, 2014 9:33 am

ok thanks for the tut but i need 1 little favor
i made a site with 1 script but how can the user loop it ? i have been searching for a week for this !
can i give the option to the user to input number of loops ?
this is my test site http://jawaker.net46.net/
WicCaesar

Post by WicCaesar » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:42 am

I need the same. I have created a macro and it's working fine. Now I need to share it but I don't want to hand out the code.
I'm going with the bookmarklet but it only runs once.

I need it to loop, if the user could choose how many times to loop, that would be even better.
I'm not a coder, I create by looking other people's macros and trying to adjust to my needs. Whenever I use the SET !LOOP or {{!LOOP}} in my script, it doesn't work as intended, runs only once.
For me there's no problem because I can set the loop on the iMacros tab, but my intention is to share with other users, so the loop parts should be in the code.
For instance, I don't want to reload the page every time, but the tutorial I found on iMacros Wiki didn't work here.
Can anyone guide me through this? I have seen in other posts that it's possible but the ones who posted never share how they achieved it. :cry:

I'm using version 8881205 of iMacros for Firefox, I'm running on Windows 7, Brazilian Portuguese, Firefox 35.0.1.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:44 am

WicCaesar wrote:I need the same. I have created a macro and it's working fine. Now I need to share it but I don't want to hand out the code.
I'm going with the bookmarklet but it only runs once.

I need it to loop, if the user could choose how many times to loop, that would be even better.
I'm not a coder, I create by looking other people's macros and trying to adjust to my needs. Whenever I use the SET !LOOP or {{!LOOP}} in my script, it doesn't work as intended, runs only once.
For me there's no problem because I can set the loop on the iMacros tab, but my intention is to share with other users, so the loop parts should be in the code.
For instance, I don't want to reload the page every time, but the tutorial I found on iMacros Wiki didn't work here.
Can anyone guide me through this? I have seen in other posts that it's possible but the ones who posted never share how they achieved it. :cry:

I'm using version 8881205 of iMacros for Firefox, I'm running on Windows 7, Brazilian Portuguese, Firefox 35.0.1.
There is an easy way to hard-code the Number of Loops within a Macro that I have mentioned already several times on the Forum, but before mentioning it (again), I'd be interested if you could post the Links to the "other posts that it's possible but the ones who posted never share how they achieved it. :cry:" that you refer to...? (Sorry for answering this way, but my Experience is that when I answer a Question and ask some follow-up Question(s) as well, the Users grab my Answer and never bother to answer mine...)
I had never tested it when launching a Macro from a Bookmarklet, I just did (from Local Reference, I didn't test the Base64 Encoding, but I don't expect any Differences...), and it works as fine as when launched using the iMacros Side-Panel (with one mini Display Bug I noticed, but it works).
The Number of Loops needs to be hard-coded in your Macro, I mentioned, there is no easy way where you can ask the User to specify themselves the Number of Loops... I can think of a few (somewhat cumbersome) ways, but I'll elaborate on those when giving the Answer in my next Post...

For obfuscating your Code, yep, the Bookmarklet way is the best way still, for non-Techie Users at least... who won't be able to Base64 decode your Macro...!
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
davidlog

Post by davidlog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:45 am

Thanks, now we can share our imacros scripts :mrgreen:
Open your Mind, The world is with you not against you ..
nawafdevil

Post by nawafdevil » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:14 am

Tech Support wrote:The latest iMacros for Firefox release contains the bookmark feature that many of you requested. And since you had to wait so long, we made this feature especially powerful :wink:

Right-click any macro (.iim) to add a reference to your regular bookmarks or to embed the complete macro in your link. This way you can send complete macros by just sending your friend or colleagues a link.

Note: You cannot use this method to share iMacros Javascript (.js) scripts, only macro (.iim) files.

If you have problems posting the long links in a blog or your email, you can use a URL shortening service like Tinyurl.com to run your embedded macro. Examples:

http://tinyurl.com/5cnctp Login macro to secure Gmail

http://shorl.com/bestylodrokuvi Orbitz Flight Search

Social Scripting: The iMacros bookmark dialog gives you the option to add your macros and scripts directly to the del.icio.us social bookmarking service and share it with others. Sharing complete macros instead of only bookmarks is what we (and others) call social scripting. Of course, since the the embedded macro is technically "just" a very long link, the feature works with any other social bookmarking service, too :)

Shared iMacros scripts on del.icio.us - If you have found or have created any imacros (or a blog entry about iMacros...) that you think other iMacros users would find useful, simply tag them “for:imacros” and we will review and add them to our collection for all iMacros users to enjoy:
This is not working for me .can u help me