Kill the damn Sidebar

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox Add-on.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
Guswut

Re: Kill the damn Sidebar

Post by Guswut » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Tech Support wrote:The sidebar needs to open during replay. Reason: If it would not open, you can not click PAUSE or STOP during replay.
So are we able to still confirm that this is the reason, even thought many alternative solutions have been posted that would allow the sidebar's open stance to become completely optional thus allowing everyone to be happy, or is this just a redesign that the dev team does not want to undertake because of the high amounts of time it would take to resolve this for the satisfaction of everyone involved? Thank you.
Mysticcal

Post by Mysticcal » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Honestly I'd rather take the risk of accidently running a macro (I've never seen anyone have 200+ lines in their macro) and just wait for it to finish. breath a sigh of relief that you were not annoyed by the sidebar popout.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks for the good feedback on the sidebar issue... other suggestions on how a future iMacros user interface should look like are welcome. We are discussing it and watch this thread.

Do you find the sidebar itself useful (when you need it) ? Or would you prefer to have a toolbar instead?
Guswut

Post by Guswut » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:28 pm

Tech Support wrote:Thanks for the good feedback on the sidebar issue... other suggestions on how a future iMacros user interface should look like are welcome. We are discussing it and watch this thread.

Do you find the sidebar itself useful (when you need it) ? Or would you prefer to have a toolbar instead?
Thank you for replying to this thread, Tech Support! I love the sidebar interface when I'm making a new macro or testing a few macros. It's most likely the best interface for such an add on. I would not be against a single button toolbar for pausing macros. I try and keep my interface as small as I can. Thank you very much, again!
kuehni1

Post by kuehni1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:02 am

I suggest to differentiate between macro design and macro execution. For the macro design and testing the sidebar fits my needs and is well designed. However, as all of my macros are executed by scripting, the sidebar is needless during most of the "iMacros lifetime". A toolbar (showing the current line and may be error messages) with few command buttons would be sufficient for well tested macros. I would even appreciate to have the option of a complete hidden execution.
Mysticcal

Post by Mysticcal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Tech Support wrote:Thanks for the good feedback on the sidebar issue... other suggestions on how a future iMacros user interface should look like are welcome. We are discussing it and watch this thread.

Just having the option to disable the sidebar on macro execution "if we hotkey the "macros" from a bookmark hotkey would be perfect functionality for me.

If the excuse is to have SOME Way to stop the macro in progress add it optionally checked so if we'd like to we can uncheck it if we feel confident enough or not care.

I had a question though. if I run a macro and switch tabs, does that macro still run on the tab it was supposed to? what happens?
kpg

Post by kpg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:49 pm

100% agree - while running a macro I want the option to hide the side bar.

For my end users the side bar is a distraction, completely unnecessary, and in all likelihood, scary. :shock:

Can't say more than has been said here...do the right thing, make us proud!
nma1919

Post by nma1919 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:54 pm

I hate to bump this old topic.

But can we have the option of leaving the side bar closed indefinitely? I trust that the macro will run, I already know the process and wish to not even see the sidebar open at all.

Thx for this awesome addon!
Guswut

Post by Guswut » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:19 pm

nma1919 wrote:I hate to bump this old topic.

But can we have the option of leaving the side bar closed indefinitely? I trust that the macro will run, I already know the process and wish to not even see the sidebar open at all.

Thx for this awesome addon!
You shouldn't HAVE to "hate" to bump this topic as it should NOT be "old", what with no resolution. I, or any of the other users that have added to this topic, should have been bumping it daily to try and get a resolution. Another update has passed with me checking the version history and yet not taking the effort to respond to this topic to question if this suggested feature is still in the queue. I hope that we can get some feedback from the administration regarding this request as it seems to be a rather popular one with a few popular options for addressing the lack of functionality.

Thanks everyone involved, I hope you had a merry Christmas and happy New Years.
Mysticcal

Post by Mysticcal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Maybe an explanation why the toolbar needs to blip for a second on even more complex macros?
Guswut

Post by Guswut » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Tech Support, are you still watching this thread? I'm sure most of us would love to know about any further developments regarding this request. Thank you!
lastnikita

Post by lastnikita » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi, if I ever miss my click and launch the wrong macro, I can just click imacro icon, or hit F8, and the sidebar would open up again to let me stop this.

Thanks ;)
jbrown

Post by jbrown » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Will there be a possibility of running macros without sidebar in the future?

(What about a different icon in the navigation bar if a macro is running without sidebar displayed?)
hao1cai111

Post by hao1cai111 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 am

support your suggestion
kill thd sidebar!
djjskkall

Post by djjskkall » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:39 am

It has been over 3 months since the last post in this thread.

What is the status of the issue with the opening sidebar?

I also would like the sidebar to not automatically open upon execution. It's killing the timely execution of macros :x