Gmail problem: can't leave the domain to start a macro

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
stim728

Gmail problem: can't leave the domain to start a macro

Post by stim728 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum and iMacros for that matter, I apolagize if my question has already been addressed, I tried searching and didn't find anything.

I want to bookmark a macro for Gmail. The Macro clicks on 'Settings' then 'Accounts' 'Check Now' - telling gmail to check the POP server for new email. This macro works fine if I run it manually from the Macro/Recorder panel on the left. It doesn't work when executed from a bookmark though (because the browser first goes to http://run.imacros.net/?code=xxxx, leaving the gmail page, and the gmail page never loads when the macro tries to "URL GOTO" to the page. It eventually times out.

Is it possible to run a macro (without bringing up the Panel and clicking the actual Macro) without the call to run.imacros.net? I'd be satisfied with using the command line too, if I could somehow tell an instance of Firefox to run a Macro.

Here is the Macro (which works when clicked manually) while on http://mail.google.com/mail/#
VERSION BUILD=6030318 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
FRAME F=3
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:Settings
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:Accounts
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:Check<SP>mail<SP>now

In manually removed the "URL GOTO=http://mail.google.com/mail/" from the MACRO so it at least works when clicked from the Recorder Panel.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be great. I'm really enjoying playing iMacros.

Stu
sctchun

Re: Gmail problem: can't leave the domain to start a macro

Post by sctchun » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:14 am

Hi Stu,

I haven't worked too much with bookmarks, but I know the problem you have. Basically, when iMacros starts up for the 1st time, it goes to that launch page, from there it shouldn't go to it again. My best suggestion is for you to create another bookmark that has iMacros go to the login page or something, then subsequent bookmarks shouldn't be affected.

The other possible solution is to have iMacros log into gmail and then perform the function you wanted. iMacros does encrypt passwords.

Steven
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi Steven, the issue you describe is in iMacros for Internet Explorer, but Stu is using iMacros for Firefox.

Stu, the problem you describe will be solved with the next update in about a week. Run.imacros.net?m=macro.iim does not open a new page, it is intercepted by iMacros to run the macro. But due to a bug, it is intercepted a bit too late at the moment. And this issue is fixed with the next update.
stim728

Post by stim728 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 am

Thanks! I look forward to the update :)
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri May 02, 2008 10:26 am

The issue has been fixed with 6.0.4.1 :D

On a different note, we have some tips for automating GMail.
lurie100

Post by lurie100 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:48 am

I tried running this macro on Firefox and I got the following error:

RuntimeError: element SPAN specified by TXT:Settings was not found, line 4

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lurie100
lurie100

Post by lurie100 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:50 am

Also, what is the most efficient way to getting this macro to run after turning on the computer? Do I have to manually log onto Gmail first and then run the macro? What about Gmail security in a "Hotspot"?

Thanks,

lurie100
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:50 am

Its an older post but I just found it during a search.

1. How to start iMacros automatically: http://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?t=3343

2. Gmail security: http://wiki.imacros.net/Secure_Gmail_Login

Ann