ERROR: Recording of macro fails to record certain "clicks"

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
additional001

ERROR: Recording of macro fails to record certain "clicks"

Post by additional001 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:24 pm

Test System is FF 3.01 and iMacros x.7.4

When trying to record a certain link (and others like it) I get this msg

Can't find element position, atts=({src:/^\s*http\:\/\/assets\.myyearbook\.com\/dragon_drop\/white_x\.gif\s*$/})

Since I don't speak Scriptonese... can someone translate this for me?
juzamjedi

Re: ERROR: Recording of macro fails to record certain "clicks"

Post by juzamjedi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Hello,

Take out all of the backslashes between the *'s gives you the following. Go back to your iMacro that failed and try cutting / pasting this:

http://assets.myyearbook.com/dragon_drop/white_x.gif

<mild tangent>
For future reference the ^ and the $ characters are used in regular expressions. ^ means beginning of line and $ means end of line. Exactly how that gets coded in iMacros is beyond what I know, but somehow iMacros is performing the regular expression search, expected the beginning of the line to be your http://assets.myyearbook.com/dragon_drop/white_x.gif and then that was the end of the string, but for whatever reason the markup on the page wasn't done this way. Might be something for the devs to review later.
</mild tangent>
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:00 am

additional001, can you please post a link to a website where this issue happens?

iMacros uses regular expressions internally, but that should not influence the recording (unless, of course, there is a bug somewhere).
additional001

Post by additional001 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:27 am

Sorry TS for taking so long to reply

The error occurs on http://www.myyearbook.com under the search while trying to record the sending of a message to a user. When clicking on the send message(during recording) IMacros will error and NOT record the click.
Raftus

Post by Raftus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:37 am

I had the same sort of error when trying to create a script for Google Analytics. It may not share the same root cause as the error reported in this topic, but I was able to solve it by setting the Click Mode to HTM when recording. It had been the default 'Select the best mode'. Hope that helps
additional001

Post by additional001 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks for the reply Rafus.... 90% of the time I use HTML click mode for recording anyway. Since most of my macros are recorded on such a site with so many dynamic links.. I find it best to record everything first and then edit the lines down to what i need with wildcards. However that was not the case with this particular case. I was able to record and replay the "click"... I forget off the top of my head what version I started having problems... but now the new versions won't record for me at all. So I use a much older version for recording