Splitting Data in Excel Column

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
jfj3rd

Splitting Data in Excel Column

Post by jfj3rd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I am filling online forms via data inside an excel document. I'm able to grab the column for the 'phone' data but with some of the online forms the phone is split into three fields.

I'm trying to figure out how to not only call a column but have the first three numbers grabbed only from that column then the second set of three numbers and finally the last four digits of the phone number.

Suggestions that doesn't involve splitting the column first inside excel would be appreciated.

- JJ
--

Warmest Wishes,

John F. Jones III
Daniel, Tech Support

Re: Splitting Data in Excel Column

Post by Daniel, Tech Support » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi,

Are you reading the Excel data with Javascript/VBScrip? I guess this would be the solution here.
Daniel, iOpus Support
jfj3rd

Post by jfj3rd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Daniel,

No, I'm simply calling the excel file with:

Code: Select all

CMDLINE !DATASOURCE C:\Documents...\data.csv
The only solution I've found so far is to pre-prep the excel file so that the area code is in its own column as well as the other two parts of the phone number. Not a bad solution but was kind of hoping iMacros had a way to split that data. I have the free version so am guessing I'll need to do some JS if I want to be ubber lazy and not pre-prep the excel file.
--

Warmest Wishes,

John F. Jones III
Daniel, Tech Support

Post by Daniel, Tech Support » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi,

See, we try to limit iMacros to its primary purpose, which is automating web browsing, and to deal with other tasks, we provide a scripting interface to iMacros. That means that you can use any programming language of your choice to initialize iMacros, run it and get the results back. In your case you could keep the phone number in one field, then get it and parse it with a programming/scripting language, pass the values to iMacros and have it fill-in the form in the right way.
Here is more on the scripting interface. If you want to go that way, let me know and I will provide more details for this particular case.

Best regards,
Daniel, iOpus Support