Can't seem to find element by XPATH

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
apathybear7

Can't seem to find element by XPATH

Post by apathybear7 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:40 pm

deleted due to stalking mod
Last edited by apathybear7 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
chivracq

Re: Can't seem to find element by XPATH

Post by chivracq » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:57 am

apathybear7 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:40 pm
Apologies if this has been asked, I tried searching for it and couldn't seem to find the right result.

I am trying to do something fairly basic by typing text into an input field by XPATH like this:

Code: Select all

TAG XPATH="/html/body/div[3]/form[2]/div[1]/div/div/input" CONTENT="Tom Tester"
However I am getting errors like

RuntimeError: element  specified by /html/body/div[3]/form[2]/div[1]/div/div/input was not found, line: 3
This is the HTML that I'm trying to insert text into (it's the first element input box within the div) is attached.
INPUT 'to' Source.png

Is there a better way to do this?

(F)CIM for me to read, read my Sig, ah-ah...! :mrgreen:

=> Your Thread has VERY probably nothing specific to the 'iMacros for CR' Sub-Forum, especially if you couldn't read the Forum Rules and mention your FCI, ah-ah...!
=> Mention your FCI for me to move it to the "correct" Sub-Forum if needed... :idea:
(And you probably would have already gotten your Answer/Solution instead of that Reply of mine, if you had taken 1 min to read the Forum Rules, ah-ah...! :P )
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:45 am

Alright, not much Follow-up, so I moved the Thread to the 'General' Sub-Forum as it indeed has nothing specific for the 'iMacros for CR' Sub-Forum...

@OP also opened a parallel Thread on SOF:
- imacros: Can't locate the input field

... And I was able to play "little Detective", as this Thread is actually of "better" Qlt than the one on our Forum, and contains more Info, => URL of the Site and some "partial" FCI, (hum "partial FCI" sounds a bit weird, ah-ah...!, as the "F" in "FCI" stands for "Full", re-ah-ah...!), so I will quote that Qt/Thread here, except the Screenshot which is the same...
Thread already got a (-1), (not from me, ah-ah...!, I actually find the Qlt "not too bad" for a Thread/Qt about the 'iMacros' Tag on SOF), probably because of the Screenshot, as Screenshots of Code or Source of a Page are never "very clever", tja...!, (hum, a bit surprising though for a User with 7(+)k Rep on that Site), and for our Forum also... :roll:
imacros: Can't locate the input field
Viewed 13 times

I am trying to locate the input “to” field on this webpage: https://www.reddit.com/message/compose/

I've tried both by XPATH and by TAG and can't seem to locate the first input box.

My current code:

WAIT SECONDS=2
TAG XPATH="//form[@id='compose-message']/div[1]/div/div/input" CONTENT="Tom Tester"
The error message I get:

RuntimeError: element  specified by //form[@id='compose-message']/div[@id='spacer']/div[@id='roundfield']/div[@id='roundfield-content']/input was not found, line: 3
A screenshot of the input box im trying to reach, incase the website updates at some point enter image description here

Using

macos and chrome
Tags: google-chrome imacros

ApathyBear

=> Alright URL of the Site posted, good...!, even if I "can't" have a look myself as I don't have any 'Reddit' Account, mostly because I've never liked the Site which "doesn't work" since 3 or 4 years in my Default Browser (PM26)...

=> And we have some partial FCI:

macos and chrome
=> Probable FCI:

iMacros v10.1.1 for CR, 'Free', CR92/93, macOS.
(... As there is no 'PE' Version on macOS, and therefore also no 'Trial' Version...)

>

I won't "comment" about 'XPATH' that I don't like and never use, and I can't test on the Site anyway, but I would expect this "simple" Statement using the 'TAG POS' Mode to work:

TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:compose-message ATTR=NAME:to CONTENT=Tom<SP>Tester
... Well, if the Form ID is "correct", but the 'FORM' Param can usually be omitted...:

TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT ATTR=NAME:to CONTENT=Tom<SP>Tester
>

And otherwise, from using v10.1.1 for CR, (=> Importance of mentioning your FCI, grrr...!), => it should also work using the 'EVENT' Mode, if the 'TAG' Mode "really" doesn't want to work ... :idea:
(But the 'EVENT' Mode is rather "slow"...)

>>>

And hum..., mini "Piece of Advice", be "careful" with automating posting/sending PM's on a Forum/Site, like 'Reddit' or any Forum probably, this is the "best Way" to be flagged as (potential) Spammer and to get a Forum Ban, ah-ah...! :P :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:54 am

Hum, no Follow-up and I guess "we" won't hear from this User anymore as it looks they went for 'Selenium', from some "other" parallel Thread of theirs...:
- Can't locate this input element selenium

I find this one is a bit of a "LQ" (= Low Qlt) Qt (got a (-1) from me), but surprisingly got 4 (Qlt) Answers, I guess Users in the 'Selenium' Tag on SOF are fighting to get as much Rep as possible, ah-ah...! :P

... And @OP followed up neatly in that Thread, upvoted all Answers and even accepted one... :o
apathybear7

Post by apathybear7 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:58 am

Ew stop stalking me online. This is borderline harassment.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:03 am

apathybear7 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:58 am
Ew stop stalking me online. This is borderline harassment.

Rhoooo...!, nice to see some "Follow-up" afterwards, very good...! :D

But, hum..., I don't "stalk you online", ah-ah...!, I simply follow (and answer) several Tech Forums about iMacros and Web-Automation, not my "Fault" if you ask your same Qt / open parallel Threads on those Forums, tja...! :P
apathybear7

Post by apathybear7 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:15 pm

I can post anything I like anywhere i'd like online, you don't need to unnecessarily dig into my profile and look at questions that I didn't even ask HERE about selenium. Also downvoting my question on Stackoverflow is petty and shows your lack of professionalism.

The fact that I didn't answer right away doesn't mean I don't care, it means I haven't had the chance to sit down and get to an answer. But given your lack of professionalism, and your unhelpful advice, I give up on this forum and community. imacros should really think twice about training mods before letting them act like a ravenous dog on new members.

Peace, CaptainSpank.