[SUGGESTION] TRY CATCH OR ONERROR IMPLEMENTATION

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
coolcocky

[SUGGESTION] TRY CATCH OR ONERROR IMPLEMENTATION

Post by coolcocky » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:17 am

HI,

I have another suggestion

How about an ONERROR do certain macro commands embedded in the macro itself instead of going back to scripting

this will be able to enhance the robustness of the macro and make it less break proof in case of any error on website

suggested syntax

TRY

MACRO COMMANDS

ENDTRY
CATCH
ONERROR:301

DO CERTAIN MACRO COMMANDS IF ERROR IS 301

ENDONERROR:301
ON ERROR:322

DO SOME OTHER COMMANDS

ENDONERROR:322

ON ERROR:ELSE

DO SOME OTHER COMMANDS ON ANY OTHER ERROR

ENDONERROR:ELSE
ENDCATCH

you can see the power of these kinds of commands as it will make the macro very robust, of course i borrowed it from .NET but it should be easy to implement without introducing too much complexity in the macro language

PS: I dont think providing nested try catch should be implemented as it will create unnecessary complexity

I agree that this can be implemented by using scripting edition, but if you think of a macro which require more than one of these error checking requirements then we have to send macro commands on multiple times to an open window which makes scripting more complex

just my 2cents

regards,

CoooL
LSnelson

Re: [SUGGESTION] TRY CATCH OR ONERROR IMPLEMENTATION

Post by LSnelson » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Nice idea. The Imacros folks need to give us at least a little programming abilities inside the macro. If would be good if you could tell what was happening while the macro was playing instead of having to wait until it finished.

L.S.
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:11 pm

This is a good suggestion coolcocky. I have added it to our internal list of suggestions and feature requests for the development team to review. Thank you and keep them coming!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
coolcocky

Post by coolcocky » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks Tom for appreciating my suggestion.

I will surely keep giving feedback for improving imacros.

I had made another suggestion regarding conditionals earlier also

regards,

CoooL

PS: I am not seeing Daniel as a part of moderation team now
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:51 pm

coolcocky wrote: PS: I am not seeing Daniel as a part of moderation team now
Correct, Daniel has moved on to our AlertFox development team!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support