How to improve stability of Imacros for 24/7 runs

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
bugmenot666

How to improve stability of Imacros for 24/7 runs

Post by bugmenot666 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Hello.

I run a lot of instances of Imacros 6.9. I use them to go to Youtube, log in and collect some data. Unfortunately I find it close to impossible to run it with the stability I need. I want to do thousands of loops, but I find that Imacros has about a 50/50 chance to run thousands of loops against Youtube without crashing. The only problem I see in the error logs is "Error: website did not respond (Timeout)". I want to increase the stability.

Here are some details:

1. I have increased the Timeout period to a very high number.
2. I have set the Errorignore to continue.
3. I have disabled everything unnecessary in IE settings. I do have to allow Java and XSS though, otherwise I can not do what I want. Any ideas on ideal settings in IE ?
4. I run Imacros 6.9. Would stability increase if I upgrade to the recent version of 7.11 ?
5. I run on a very stable broadband connection.
6. I run each instance of Imacros with 1024MB dedicated RAM. Should be enough.
7. I run Imacros as Windows XP VMware guests on an Ubuntu Host. Should I run another OS (like Windows 7) ?

Would love to hear some comments from Iopus staff and other Imacros users on how I can increase the stability.
bugmenot666

Re: How to improve stability of Imacros for 24/7 runs

Post by bugmenot666 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Nobody ?

I did check out this suggestion to run a VBS script to exit and restart Imacros http://wiki.imacros.net/Web_Testing#Q:_ ... iMacros.3F but it does not seem practical, and I can't get it to start at the right loop (example, restart after 1000 loops, and begin again with loop 1001)

Would be cool if you guys at Iopus could find a way to flush the memory without having to restart Imacros. Or get a Linux version working. As it looks now I am gonna have to get an outsourced programmer to build me something.
Tech Support

Re: How to improve stability of Imacros for 24/7 runs

Post by Tech Support » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi,

>, but I find that Imacros has about a 50/50 chance to run thousands of loops against Youtube without crashing.

Can you describe your setup in more detail? That is not our experience at all. The crash rate of a web browser is less than 1% in all our tests. Note that these are web browser crashes (caused by the web browser, IE or Firefox) and not iMacros.

And why does the recommended setup not work for you?