Dynamic Drop Down Menu Validation

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
jkendall93

Dynamic Drop Down Menu Validation

Post by jkendall93 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:45 pm

I would like to validate all of the drop down menu selections within our application using the iMacros tool, but we have a plethora of drop down menus that have dynamic content and are dependent upon what is selected in a previous drop down menu. I looked throughout the support forum and didn't find any detailed discussion on this topic. Does iMacros support this type of validation? If so, what is the preferred method to implement this type of validation with the tool. I am currently using iMacros 7.10.1044 on Windows Server 2003. The internal application I'm working with is utilizing GWT/AJAX technology.
Tech Support

Re: Dynamic Drop Down Menu Validation

Post by Tech Support » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:11 pm

I see no problem for iMacros automating such dropdowns. Can you please give me an example of the issue(s) you have? You could either post a screenshot if it's an internal web app, or post a link to a similar public website.

Is it like this one? http://www.asp.net/ajax/ajaxcontroltool ... pDown.aspx
jkendall93

Post by jkendall93 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Our internal application has similar drop down menus like the link you provided. We would like to validate all the drop down menu options for the following menus in the screenshots provided:
Program-Activity
Category
Type
Condition

I believe the biggest issue will be figuring out how to validate each of the individual menu options since many of the menu options have dependencies upon each other. I didn't think using the image recognition for each menu option would be the most productive method of validation. Please advise when you get a moment.
Attachments
Drop Down Menu Example 2.PNG
Drop Down Menu Example.PNG
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the screenshots. Based on these I think the normal TAG command for dropdowns work well. Maybe an additional IMAGESEARCH to "see" when the reloading is complete is required. But overall I see no problem.

If you need to validate all options (= all possible mutations), you would write a script that connects to the iMacros Browser via iimInit/iimPlay and cycles through the various options.

Our Enterprise Bundles include Silver/Gold level support, so if you have any problems getting iMacros to work with these select boxes we can you a remote desktop sharing session to assist you.