Upgrade to IE10 leave my iMacros icon doing nothing

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
Lisa C

Re: Upgrade to IE10 leave my iMacros icon doing nothing

Post by Lisa C » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:57 pm

According to my understanding there are basically two ways to use iMacros, use iMacros only or use it with script. If you have more logic to play, you need a script. When you use script, script will be kind of a control center. You make connection with iMacros, open browser, call your macros and analyze your execution result from the script. iMacros supports wide range of scripting languages. Unfortunately, a free version does not support script. You may compare versions using the link I pasted to you.

If I could not run my macros anyway, I would try to downgrade my IE to IE9. That may make the free version back to work again. But, once you installed iMacros9, you may never be able to get your free version working again since you cannot get the icon shown manually and you cannot use script to bring it up. I am actually using iMacros8 now, just wanted to see if it can make the icon shown again as before my adventure on iMacros9, but it failed on that.
miloshapiro

Post by miloshapiro » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 pm

To be clear, because I was waiting to hear back from Tom, I didn't upload that trial version so I might not have the problem that you state. Maybe I should try going back to IE9 and see what happens. I haven't unloaded the free version of iMacros, so maybe it'd magically work. How would one get IE9?

I'm still confused, though, why I only see iMacros once in the part of Control Panel where one can uninstall.
Shouldn't I see one for IE and one for FF (which is still running fine, btw).
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:20 am

Lisa,

It sounds like the main problem you are having is that the iMacros icon does not appear in the browser? Are you sure that the IE Command bar is visible to begin with? This is where the icon will appear.
IE Command Bar.png
Even if the icon isn't there, you should still be able to open the iMacros sidebar by selecting iMacros from the IE Tools menu.
IE Tools Menu.png
Uninstalling and reinstalling iMacros should restore the iMacros icon to the Command bar if it has disappeared or is not working.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Lisa C

Post by Lisa C » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:50 pm

I am very glad that I finally get contact with a tech support. Thank you for the response.

According to your screenshot, my IE command bar is visible and same as yours except there is no iMacros icon.
IE9-CommandBar.png
IE9-CommandBar.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 5915 times
I have installed iMacros9 couple of times, and then reinstalled iMacros8, but I have not been able to neither find iMacros option from the IE tool menu nor restore the iMacors icon. The following is my IE Tool menu:
IE-ToolMenu.png
I even checked the Customize option in the Tool menu and cannot find the iMacors button.

Please advise.
miloshapiro

Post by miloshapiro » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:58 pm

I just tried going back to IE9. The button is gone.

I then went to http://www.iopus.com/download/imacros-ie/ to try to install the IE version.
Ran the whole thing. No change.

I then went to "uninstall a program" to see if there were now a second version listed there (the FF one is still running fine).
I only see one (see screen print attached) which, temporarily, I assumed to be the FF version, because it doesn't say one way or the other what software it's for but FF is working.
It just says "iMacros version 9.0.0.2379".

I started to try installing the http://www.iopus.com/download/imacros-ie version above a second time, just on a whim, and noted that
the install said it was about to install version 9.0.0.2379...the same version number listed in the one I see as active in the "Uninstall programs" list.
That gives me the impression that it IS the IE version that's out there and maybe the install utility didn't do anything because it sees it
out there already...and maybe uninstalling it and reinstalling it would help.

So why not try that? Because I'm still trying to figure out where the FF version is!
If there's ANY chance that the version out there relates to FF in some way, then I don't want to risk losing it in both places.

Tom, is the one and only version I see in "Uninstall" programs definitely the IE version, so it's safe to uninstall and reinstall from the link above?
And if so, please explain where is the version that is successfully running FF right now?
Attachments
temp3.jpg
temp3.jpg (15.09 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:27 pm

miloshapiro wrote:Because I'm still trying to figure out where the FF version is!
iMacros for Firefox does not appear in the Windows Control Panel because it is not a standalone program. It is an add-on for Firefox, and like all add-ons for Firefox, it is uninstalled using the Add-ons page within the Firefox browser itself (go to Tools - Add-ons).
Lisa C wrote:Please advise.
It appears to me that iMacros is still not installed completely/correctly. If you open a support ticket, I can help you troubleshoot this further.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
miloshapiro

Post by miloshapiro » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Thank you Tom! That clears up my FF mystery.
Just opened a support ticket with the current info. ODV-170-11993
Look forward to hearing back with the next step.
Have a feeling it's going to be, now that I understand that the one out there must be IE and not FF, to uninstall and reinstall so IE9 picks it up again.
Will wait and see! :D
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi Milo,

Yes, you should try reinstalling now:
  1. Close all instances of IE
  2. Uninstall iMacros 9.0.0.2379 using the Control Panel
  3. Reinstall iMacros for IE Freeware V9.00
  4. When IE restarts, click Enable in the information bar to enable iMacros if prompted
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
miloshapiro

Post by miloshapiro » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Rebooted to make sure I had a clean start.
I did the uninstall and the reinstall.
It looks like it did it successfully and reports that the modification date was today, so that's good.

When I open IE, I don't see the icon right off as I'd hoped, but I see your fourth step:
"When IE restarts, click Enable in the information bar to enable iMacros if prompted"
I wasn't prompted in any way, though.
I'm looking for what you might mean by an information bar, but don't see anything that seems to go with that name.

Attaching a picture of the main corner of my IE screen in case it shed any light or enables you to tell me where to look for something.
Attachments
temp2.jpg
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 am

Hi Milo,

Here is the information bar I was referring to, it appears at the bottom of the browser:
IE Info Bar.png
IE Info Bar.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 5902 times
Make sure iMacros is enabled by selecting Tools - Manage Add-ons in IE:
IE Manage Add-ons.png
If it's not enabled, go ahead and enable it then restart IE.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
miloshapiro

Post by miloshapiro » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm

temp2.jpg
If that had popped up, I would have figured out to click it because it's a very clear message.
The only thing that popped up was the attached picture that I see frequently and "X" out of.
Doesn't seem like it would relate to what you're talking about.
temp2.jpg
Is there something I can do to force that box to come up so I can answer it as you tell me to?

As for turning on the Add-ons, here's a screen print of that. No mention of iMacros that I can see in there.
temp3.jpg
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Lisa and Milo,

We finally figured out what is going on with both of your situations. When IE is upgraded to IE 10, it automatically changes the IE icon that is pinned to the Windows Taskbar so that it points to the 64-bit version of IE. When you downgraded back to IE9, the icon on the taskbar was not changed, so it was still launching 64-bit IE.

Therefore, upon reinstalling iMacros (which is installed in 32-bit IE) and then restarting IE from the taskbar icon, it seemed as if iMacros had disappeared!

The simple solution is to change which version of IE is launched from the taskbar icon. You can do this by holding down the Shift key and right-clicking the IE icon on the taskbar and then select Properties from the pop-up menu. This is what you should see for 64-bit IE:
IE 64-bit Properties.png
Just change the target from:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
IE 32-bit Properties.png
And then click OK to save it.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Lisa C

Post by Lisa C » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Tom,

The solution works for me. Thank you very much!