Run iMacros based on Cloud/Web API?

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
duke2704

Run iMacros based on Cloud/Web API?

Post by duke2704 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:22 am

Hello. I'm working on a project where my company provides a software that can help clients register their company and those data can be extracted into a website's form.

The problem is, most of our clients aren't going to have iMacros software on their computers and providing license for them would be costly. So, I'm asking for a help if whether there's a platform or API to run the iMacros without installing the software itself.

- I've tried running using iMacros extension for Chrome and it seems to not work without the software.
- I tried to use iMacros components for .NET (trial) and it does not seems to support my software (Visual Basic 6)
- I tried to look for cloud services and I don't know how it works.

My scripts run with VB Script. I'm not sure if there's any other way to make this project work unless if there's help from you guys.
I would appreciate if there's any . Thank you
serbeer

Re: Run iMacros based on Cloud/Web API?

Post by serbeer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:05 pm

RE: The problem is, most of our clients aren't going to have iMacros software on their computers and providing license for them would be costly.
There would be no license cost to them if they have (or install) Firefox or Chrome browser and install free iMacros plugin. That said, it would require setup so would only work if clients are going to be using this for a while, not as one-time thing. In which case you would have to provide install instructions to them. Alternatively, if they are of trusting kind, you could provide download of portable version of FF with iMacros plugin preinstalled.

In either case, you'd have to either provide the macro directly to them to start from the plugin after placing it into specific folder, or embedd it into your web page that they would have to open in browser where iMacros plugin had been installed. If providing potrable version of the browser, the macro can be placed into the folder of such version and ready to run.

In either case, they would have access to code of the macro, not sure if that is a concern. Also, the macro would have to be written in Javascript, not VB.

Hope it helps.
duke2704

Post by duke2704 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:02 am

serbeer wrote: In either case, you'd have to either provide the macro directly to them to start from the plugin after placing it into specific folder, or embedd it into your web page that they would have to open in browser where iMacros plugin had been installed. If providing potrable version of the browser, the macro can be placed into the folder of such version and ready to run.
What do you mean by that? I'm sorry I'm not clear with your explanations. Does that mean there's a portable iMacros that I can install in my software?
serbeer

Post by serbeer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Once they have FF or CR browser with iMacros plugin, they still need a macro to run, right? They need you to provide them with .iim or .js macro file that would "help clients register their company and those data can be extracted into a website's form." unless you expect them to learn and write macros themselves. And how would such .iim or .js macro will get to them? In Email from you? Would they know how to install it and run it?

What I said is that if you, for example, let them download portable FF browser with iMacros plugin already installed in it, then you could also include any macros you decide to provide to your clients already included in it, in ...\Data\profile\iMacros\Macros folder of portable FF.
duke2704

Post by duke2704 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 am

serbeer wrote:Once they have FF or CR browser with iMacros plugin, they still need a macro to run, right? They need you to provide them with .iim or .js macro file that would "help clients register their company and those data can be extracted into a website's form." unless you expect them to learn and write macros themselves. And how would such .iim or .js macro will get to them? In Email from you? Would they know how to install it and run it?

What I said is that if you, for example, let them download portable FF browser with iMacros plugin already installed in it, then you could also include any macros you decide to provide to your clients already included in it, in ...\Data\profile\iMacros\Macros folder of portable FF.
Oh yeah, now I get it. I'll try to do as you say. Thank you for the brief explanation.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 am

duke2704 wrote:Hello. I'm working on a project where my company provides a software that can help clients register their company and those data can be extracted into a website's form.

The problem is, most of our clients aren't going to have iMacros software on their computers and providing license for them would be costly. So, I'm asking for a help if whether there's a platform or API to run the iMacros without installing the software itself.

- I've tried running using iMacros extension for Chrome and it seems to not work without the software.
- I tried to use iMacros components for .NET (trial) and it does not seems to support my software (Visual Basic 6)
- I tried to look for cloud services and I don't know how it works.

My scripts run with VB Script. I'm not sure if there's any other way to make this project work unless if there's help from you guys.
I would appreciate if there's any . Thank you
serbeer wrote:RE: The problem is, most of our clients aren't going to have iMacros software on their computers and providing license for them would be costly.
There would be no license cost to them if they have (or install) Firefox or Chrome browser and install free iMacros plugin. That said, it would require setup so would only work if clients are going to be using this for a while, not as one-time thing. In which case you would have to provide install instructions to them. Alternatively, if they are of trusting kind, you could provide download of portable version of FF with iMacros plugin preinstalled.

In either case, you'd have to either provide the macro directly to them to start from the plugin after placing it into specific folder, or embedd it into your web page that they would have to open in browser where iMacros plugin had been installed. If providing potrable version of the browser, the macro can be placed into the folder of such version and ready to run.

In either case, they would have access to code of the macro, not sure if that is a concern. Also, the macro would have to be written in Javascript, not VB.

Hope it helps.
duke2704 wrote:
serbeer wrote: In either case, you'd have to either provide the macro directly to them to start from the plugin after placing it into specific folder, or embedd it into your web page that they would have to open in browser where iMacros plugin had been installed. If providing potrable version of the browser, the macro can be placed into the folder of such version and ready to run.
What do you mean by that? I'm sorry I'm not clear with your explanations. Does that mean there's a portable iMacros that I can install in my software?
serbeer wrote:Once they have FF or CR browser with iMacros plugin, they still need a macro to run, right? They need you to provide them with .iim or .js macro file that would "help clients register their company and those data can be extracted into a website's form." unless you expect them to learn and write macros themselves. And how would such .iim or .js macro will get to them? In Email from you? Would they know how to install it and run it?

duke2704 wrote:

Oh yeah, now I get it. I'll try to do as you say. Thank you for the brief explanation.
:wink:

(Securing this Thread which can be interesting for other Users..., @OP has a notorious "Tendency" to delete their Posts/Threads... :shock: )

+ @OP, you should consider one day to read the Forum Rules and mention your FCI each time you open a Thread...
=> Reason why I never answered any of your Threads... (which I noticed... before you deleted them all, ah-ah...!) :roll: :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...