Script Looping with CSV Reference help

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
kbrown84

Script Looping with CSV Reference help

Post by kbrown84 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello,
First of all I want to preface this discussion with how I am a 100% scripting beginner, however sometimes I am kinda smart sooo hopefully this task falls into the "kinda smart" requirements :)

I would like to utilize iMacros to cut back on redundant steps in our implementation process when implementing phone systems into businesses. We use a web interface for provisioning and I could use iMacros to execute the series of steps necessary for implementation of certain features and mimic those steps on numerous phones (or telephone numbers).

For example:
Lets say we have a group with 8 users with numbers

On each of these 8 numbers we need to navigate to various parts of our web interface and execute the following steps for each user:
Navigate to each user
select a specific thing from a drop down menu
click a few buttons
go to another section
select another item from a drop down menu
copy and paste a unique number into a Line/port (this number would change not per user but per company we manipulate, therefore the number would have to be stored separate in a csv or excel and changed each time the script is run for a different customer) *note* I am uncomfortable figuring out how to get each script to reference another excel to input data

other examples of what thils will be used for

each of the 8 numbers I would need to execute the SAME series of steps. E.X:
Click utilities
Click device config
Click Edit
Click Custom Tags
Click add
Add tag Router_Proxy
Tag value: *part I'm not sure how to do* the tag value will change PER CUSTOMER and would be the same for all entities within that customer's group. How do I get the Imacro to reference the csv or excel file with the correct tag value?

Basically this whole wordy example can be boiled down to this:
When creating a macro, and that macro requires information that needs to be found in a excel or csv file how do I get that to work?
For example
I need an assortment of steps to be completed to:
8 numbers in the excel file
I need certain steps to check for the correct information that I would place in the excel. For example, router information.
Last edited by kbrown84 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chivracq

Re: Scripting Help

Post by chivracq » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:07 pm

kbrown84 wrote:Hello,
First of all I want to preface this discussion with how I am a 100% scripting beginner, however sometimes I am kinda smart sooo hopefully this task falls into the "kinda smart" requirements :)

I would like to utilize iMacros to cut back on redundant steps in our implementation process when implementing phone systems into businesses. We use a web interface for provisioning and I could use iMacros to execute the series of steps necessary for implementation of certain features and mimic those steps on numerous phones (or telephone numbers).

For example:
Lets say we have a group with 8 users with numbers

Code: Select all

On each of these 8 numbers we need to navigate to various parts of our web interface and execute the following steps for each user:
Navigate to each user
select a specific thing from a drop down menu
click a few buttons
go to another section
select another item from a drop down menu
copy and paste a unique number into a Line/port (this number would change not per user but per company we manipulate, therefore the number would have to be stored separate in a csv or excel and changed each time the script is run for a different customer) *note* I am uncomfortable figuring out how to get each script to reference another excel to input data

other examples of what thils will be used for

each of the 8 numbers I would need to execute the SAME series of steps. E.X:
Click utilities
Click device config
Click Edit
Click Custom Tags
Click add
Add tag Router_Proxy
Tag value: *part I'm not sure how to do* the tag value will change PER CUSTOMER and would be the same for all entities within that customer's group. How do I get the Imacro to reference the csv or excel file with the correct tag value?

Basically this whole wordy example can be boiled down to this:
When creating a macro, and that macro requires information that needs to be found in a excel or csv file how do I get that to work?
For example
I need an assortment of steps to be completed to:
8 numbers in the excel file
I need certain steps to check for the correct information that I would place in the excel. For example, router information.
Nice effort in your Post, but can you give a Descriptive Title to your Thread about its Content...?, absolutely all Threads on this Forum are about "Scripting Help"...!

CIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)
=> Mention your FCI when you open a Thread, unless you haven't installed iMacros yet and are just inquiring about the Feasibility of your Scenario using iMacros...? => The Answer is YES then...

To answer the only 2 Qt's in your Post which actually come down to the same Qt...:
How do I get the Imacro to reference the csv or excel file with the correct tag value?
=> Have a look at the 'Loop-Csv-to-Web.iim' Demo-Macro once you'll have installed iMacros... :idea:

(Your '.CSV' Sample contains 9 Numbers btw, and not 8... :wink: )
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
kbrown84

Post by kbrown84 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:26 pm

Thank you for the reply, I know the feasibility is possible because I have seen it done in the past.

I will look into the looping example and report back
kbrown84

Post by kbrown84 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Looks like the Demo Loops Csv is exactly what I need from the description.
I will create a macro and then play with how I copy that loop into it?

This is the "coding" aspect I am unsure of

Should I create the core macro then submit that for help on how to get the looping to work?
chivracq

Re: Script Looping with CSV Reference help

Post by chivracq » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 pm

kbrown84 wrote:Thank you for the reply, I know the feasibility is possible because I have seen it done in the past.

I will look into the looping example and report back
kbrown84 wrote:Looks like the Demo Loops Csv is exactly what I need from the description.
I will create a macro and then play with how I copy that loop into it?

This is the "coding" aspect I am unsure of

Should I create the core macro then submit that for help on how to get the looping to work?
OK, Thread Title is a little bit better, hum...

For the rest, you missed the "CIM" part for me to follow up...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
kbrown84

Re: Script Looping with CSV Reference help

Post by kbrown84 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 pm

I didn't miss it, I am on a new PC and I can't provide the info yet :)
I need new access to the system (new pc is locked out) so I can't record a script.
I also need to re-download Imacros for IE because apparently it doesn't work for Firefox's current version (which is what is on this pc)

I will get back to you asap with additional information and a script template.