Form Filling from CSV with Line Breaks

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
macrohelp

Form Filling from CSV with Line Breaks

Post by macrohelp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:09 pm

Is it possible to include line breaks when inputting from a CSV file? I've tried everything but it seems to truncate the line breaks.
JamesBassdrop

Re: Form Filling from CSV with Line Breaks

Post by JamesBassdrop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:44 pm

macrohelp wrote:Is it possible to include line breaks when inputting from a CSV file? I've tried everything but it seems to truncate the line breaks.
Hey macrohelp,

Similar to how spaces need to be replaced with <SP>, to include line breaks you'll likely need to replace \r\n, \r, and \n with <BR>:

\r = carriage return
\n = line feed
\r\n = often used in preference to \n as it displays properly on both Windows and Unix/Linux

To avoid the possibility of ending up with duplicate line breaks, \r\n needs to be replaced before \r and \n.

If using a .js (javascript) script, and assuming you've already extracted {{COL1}} as a variable called myVar:

Code: Select all

myVar.replace(/(?:\r\n|\r|\n)/g, "<BR>");   // Replaces \r\n, \r\, \n with <BR>
myVar.replace(/ /g, "<SP>");                // Replaces spaces with <SP>
Or, if using an .iim (pure iMacros) script, something like this should do the trick (again, for {{COL1}}):

SET !VAR1 EVAL("var myVar = \"{{!COL1}}\"; myVar.replace(/(?:\\r\\n|\\r|\\n)/g, \"<BR>\"); myVar.replace(/ /g, \"<SP>\"); myVar;");
(Note: I haven't specifically tested the above code, but have successfully included line breaks from a CSV file by using this method in the past.)

Cheers, hope this helps — please let us know how it works out!

(Also, just an FYI for future reference: it helps to include your iMacros/browser/OS versions + example code when posing questions to get a response.)
iMacros for Firefox v8.9.7 | Firefox 56.0.2, Firefox 52 ESR, Pale Moon 27.9.4
I compare performance using all 3 browsers while troubleshooting but there's rarely a discernible difference. [Installed on PM using "Moon Tester Tool" add-on]
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:12 pm

JamesBassdrop wrote:
macrohelp wrote:Is it possible to include line breaks when inputting from a CSV file? I've tried everything but it seems to truncate the line breaks.
Hey macrohelp,

Similar to how spaces need to be replaced with <SP>, to include line breaks you'll likely need to replace \r\n, \r, and \n with <BR>:

\r = carriage return
\n = line feed
\r\n = often used in preference to \n as it displays properly on both Windows and Unix/Linux

To avoid the possibility of ending up with duplicate line breaks, \r\n needs to be replaced before \r and \n.

If using a .js (javascript) script, and assuming you've already extracted {{COL1}} as a variable called myVar:

myVar.replace(/(?:\r\n|\r|\n)/g, "<BR>");   // Replaces \r\n, \r\, \n with <BR>
myVar.replace(/ /g, "<SP>");                // Replaces spaces with <SP>
Or, if using an .iim (pure iMacros) script, something like this should do the trick (again, for {{COL1}}):

SET !VAR1 EVAL("var myVar = \"{{!COL1}}\"; myVar.replace(/(?:\\r\\n|\\r|\\n)/g, \"<BR>\"); myVar.replace(/ /g, \"<SP>\"); myVar;");
(Note: I haven't specifically tested the above code, but have successfully included line breaks from a CSV file by using this method in the past.)

Cheers, hope this helps — please let us know how it works out!

(Also, just an FYI for future reference: it helps to include your iMacros/browser/OS versions + example code when posing questions to get a response.)
JamesBassdrop wrote:(Also, just an FYI for future reference: it helps to include your iMacros/browser/OS versions + example code when posing questions to get a response.)
YEEEEP...!, exactly....! :wink:
(Reason why I didn't react to this "Low Quality" Thread/OP, even if the Qt was a bit "interesting" indeed...)
Typo btw: "posing" => "posting"... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
JamesBassdrop

Post by JamesBassdrop » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:53 am

chivracq wrote:Typo btw: "posing" => "posting"... :wink:
Not a typo...
verb (used with object), posed, pos·ing
5. to assert, state, or put forward:
That poses a difficult problem.
But both would work here :lol:
I compare performance using all 3 browsers while troubleshooting but there's rarely a discernible difference. [Installed on PM using "Moon Tester Tool" add-on]
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:47 am

JamesBassdrop wrote:
chivracq wrote:Typo btw: "posing" => "posting"... :wink:
Not a typo...
Pfff, of course it's typo...! :roll: , grrr...!, OK, let me check again...;...:
JamesBassdrop wrote:(Also, just an FYI for future reference: it helps to include your iMacros/browser/OS versions + example code when posing questions to get a response.)
=> Nope, sorry, "posing questions" is definitely no correct English, yeah well, grammatically maybe, but not for the "Meaning"...
Yep in French/Canadian we say "poser une Qt", but not in ENG..., "something is posing a posing a problem", OK...
Hum, oops, OK, you seem to be right as well indeed, but I "sense" a different meaning, it's more a subject/argument that will be posing a Qt = leading to a Qt, leading to some discussion/debate, but it sounds "strange" to me in the Context of a (Tech) Forum, there we (Users) post Qt's..., the "Content" could be posing a Qt, but not the User itself... But OK, never mind, I honestly thought you had made a Typo... :wink:

Your IP is btw "a bit dirty" for Spam, @JBD, you may want to "clean" it... :wink:
JamesBassdrop wrote:
verb (used with object), posed, pos·ing
5. to assert, state, or put forward:
That poses a difficult problem.
But both would work here :lol:
Yep, correct Use of "to pose" (against "to post")...! :wink:

I didn't dig at all into the Thread, waiting for @OP to post their FCI + Script...
OK, I still might if they still do so..., and follow up of course... :roll:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
JamesBassdrop

Post by JamesBassdrop » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:07 pm

chivracq wrote:=> Nope, sorry, "posing questions" is definitely no correct English, yeah well, grammatically maybe, but not for the "Meaning"...
Perhaps "posting" may have been a better fit, but I must maintain that "posing" is correct for both meaning and grammar :lol:
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English wrote:pose a question
to ask a question, especially one that needs to be carefully thought about
• In her book she poses the question ‘How much do we need to be happy?’.
• He survived the surgery, and I cautiously began to pose questions.
• Yet these two enemies are also enemies of each other, which poses a question.
• That poses a question about their very nature.
• Simply put, eVote lets people pose questions and conduct votes using e-mail.
• It is open to the House to ask for reports, and it can pose questions at any time.
• Olajuwon stopped by to visit and pose a question: Could Pond help him get to college in the United States?
• In their minds, buying a gown poses questions more complicated than chiffon or lace.
• The magazine posed a list of questions to each of the candidates.
Dictionary.com wrote:pose · verb
(transitive) to put forward, ask, or assert
to pose a question
Cambridge English Dictionary wrote:pose · verb (ASK)
• to ask a question, especially in a formal situation such as a meeting
Can we go back to the question that Helena posed earlier?
But aaanyways (intentional typo), moving on... :lol:
chivracq wrote:Your IP is btw "a bit dirty" for Spam, @JBD, you may want to "clean" it... :wink:
My IP address is? Hmm, interesting... that's news to me! Where does one go to check this? I wouldn't mind checking my web server's IP address too. Either way, thanks for the heads up! :)

Cheers,
J