What are the basic programming language one should know to write code using iMacros

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
jyotirmaya

What are the basic programming language one should know to write code using iMacros

Post by jyotirmaya » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:33 pm

I am using Browser Firefox 48.0
iMacros for Firefox 9.0.3
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating system

What are the basic programming language one should know to write code using iMacros ? If you don't know any programming language then what should you learn first before writing codes ? It is easy to use iMacros by using Record option and experiment but for doing various other stuffs you should be master on coding. Based on what programming language or which programming language is similar to iMacros coding ? I want to learn from basic hence I want to be clarified.
chivracq

Re: What are the basic programming language one should know to write code using iMacros

Post by chivracq » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:23 pm

jyotirmaya wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:33 pm
I am using

Code: Select all

Browser Firefox 48.0
iMacros for Firefox 9.0.3 
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating system

What are the basic programming language one should know to write code using iMacros ? If you don't know any programming language then what should you learn first before writing codes ? It is easy to use iMacros by using Record option and experiment but for doing various other stuffs you should be master on coding. Based on what programming language or which programming language is similar to iMacros coding ? I want to learn from basic hence I want to be clarified.
Hum..., I thought you were now using v8.9.7 for FF and not v9.0.3 (which is pretty buggy...!)... :o

Yeah well, iMacros is already the "easiest" and "simplest" Programming Language I've ever come across..., as like you mention, 80% of a Script already gets automatically written for you when you record your Actions... 8)

All Commands then all always use the same Syntax...:

COMMAND PARAM1=xxx PARAM2=yyy PARAM3=zzz PARAM4=abc
The Number of Parameters is not always the same for all Commands but is always in the Range [0-4].
A few Commands that don't use/need any Params for example: 'CLEAR' + 'PAUSE' + 'REFRESH' + 'BACK' + etc...
A Command a bit more "complex" would be the 'TAG' Command for example, with:

TAG POS=xxx TYPE=yyy ATTR=zzz [CONTENT/EXTRACT/EVENT]=abc
... which uses 3 or 4 Params... (The 'CONTENT'/'EXTRACT'/'EVENT' Param is optional...)

A few Commands have been implemented in the form of a Built-in Var (those Commands starting with a '!' like '!VAR1' or '!COL1') and usually expect a simple "YES"/"NO" (like '!ERRORIGNORE' for example) or a Number (like '!LOOP'...), or a String (like '!DATASOURCE'...) and can all be set using the 'SET' Command.

By simply looking at this (recorded) Code + the Command Reference, you can easily edit any Line of Code... 8)

The "only"/"best" way to learn and "progress" with iMacros is to read the Wiki, have a Look at all Demos (and understand how they work), and read a few Pages of Threads on the Forum, and especially in the 'How-To' Sub-Forums. You'll find a few Tutorials on YouTube, but honestly, I find them all Click-Bait and of very shitty Quality... The Wiki (extremely well written) + the Demos + the Forum are all you need... Everything that can be done in iMacros has already been asked and covered on the Forum... 8)

One "special" and very powerful Command in iMacros is the 'EVAL()' Command as it allows you from within an '.iim' Script to execute some JS Code, usually for some very basic Data Manipulation on a String or Number to return a "1"/"0" or a "YES"/"NO" for example, that you'll be able to reuse in your Script for some basic Conditional Logic.
And you'll find many-many (100sss!!) Examples on the Forum... I was the first one to use/misuse it for some Conditional Logic, but the Principle is very simple, and I've now produced 100s of Examples, using a very simple Syntax that can easily be understood and reused/modified and extended... 8)
Here is one "interesting" Thread where I explained it a bit...:
- Workarounds for Conditional Logic in Macro Code

And for the basic JS Commands (and their Syntax) I use in 'EVAL()' for String/Nb Manipulation, I use this Site myself... That's all... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
jyotirmaya

Re: What are the basic programming language one should know to write code using iMacros

Post by jyotirmaya » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:30 am

Hum..., I thought you were now using v8.9.7 for FF and not v9.0.3 (which is pretty buggy...!)... :o
Yes :D :)

Thank you so much for the ideas. I will work on it. Thank you for your valuable advice.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:58 am

jyotirmaya wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:30 am

Thank you so much for the ideas. I will work on it. Thank you for your valuable advice.
Yep, you're welcome, but I don't think I "disclosed" any "Undercover-Recipe", I was just telling "Common-Sense" I would think, which should apply all your Life for "anything" you ever get interesting in... :o

A few proactive Answers...: :wink:
- Interested in Flowers...!?: https://www.gardendesign.com/flowers/easy.html
- Want to learn flying a Plane...!?: https://www.udemy.com/learntofly/
- Looking for a kinky Evening in your City without the Wife and the Kids...!?: https://lbb.in/[yourcity]/cool-adult-things/
(And it's up to you if you go with Grandma or if she babysits the Kids... :wink: )
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
jyotirmaya

Post by jyotirmaya » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:18 pm

chivracq wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:58 am
jyotirmaya wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:30 am

Yep, you're welcome, but I don't think I "disclosed" any "Undercover-Recipe", I was just telling "Common-Sense" I would think, which should apply all your Life for "anything" you ever get interesting in... :o

A few proactive Answers...: :wink:
- Interested in Flowers...!?: https://www.gardendesign.com/flowers/easy.html
- Want to learn flying a Plane...!?: https://www.udemy.com/learntofly/
- Looking for a kinky Evening in your City without the Wife and the Kids...!?: https://lbb.in/[yourcity]/cool-adult-things/
(And it's up to you if you go with Grandma or if she babysits the Kids... :wink: )
You are so funny :D :D :D :) :) :) :lol: 8)
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:12 pm

jyotirmaya wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:18 pm
You are so funny :D :D :D :) :) :) :lol: 8)
Oups...! :P
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Hum..., one "kind of" Programming Language I forgot a bit to mention, would be some "basic" HTML, in order to be able to have a look at the Source Code of a Web-Page, and be able to follow a little bit how the Page is constructed and to understand a bit all different Sections...
Can be useful for example for understanding a bit (deeper) how the 'EXTRACT' Mechanism works... 8)

And if that "helps" you demystifying about "Newbie"/"Programmer" whatever, I didn't know anything at all about HTML and even less about JS when I started using iMacros, while, a few years later now, I think I'm now a little bit Advanced in both, even if I've never used/written a '.js' Script for iMacros, and actually the "main" Reason I developed so many "creative" Workarounds to always manage to implement any Functionality I wanted, in pure '.iim', was actually to "avoid" having to use/switch (to) '.js' Scripts, ah-ah...! :P :oops: