New to Internet Macros

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
apba7005

New to Internet Macros

Post by apba7005 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:26 pm

I am interest in purchasing the Internet Macros software for the purpose of extracting data (delivery information for thousands of tracking numbers)from certain shipping websites and having that data stored onto an excel .csv file. But I am having my doubts as to whether or not I will be able to properly use this software. Reason being is that I am not well versed in programming or writing code, a requirement I am assuming is vital in using said software. All I know is that this IM is effective in performing repetitive tasks such as obtaining data or info from websites and storing it onto a file.

What I would like to know is whether or not I can use this software with little or no knowledge of writing scripts, code, and the like. Also, I've been scouring libraries and bookstores for tutorials on Internet Macros but have come up empty-handed. Though I've managed to find guides and instructions on this site as well as others on how to perform complicated tasks with this software. Looked it over and it seems a bit complicated. Is there any other resource I can utilize, for example, an internet macros site for dummies, or at least something an average person can understand?

I run a small office and I'm sent weekly, large files from different companies with the explicit instructions to track proof of delivery information (recipient name, drop-off location, etc...) for numerous tracking numbers. Tracking numbers that can easily reach into the hundreds if not tens of thousands. Manually obtaining information from such shipping websites is darn near impossible for myself and my part time employee to do as it would take days, if not weeks to complete a file. So I figured that it would be more cost-effective to automate tasks such as this.

In all, I am willing to learn all I can about this software, but fear I would need more than tutorials found on this and other websites. Therefore taking months to learn the this software.

So...Is this the right software for someone such as myself who has know knowledge of said skills or should I look into purchasing a more user friendly program?

Thanks for your suggestions or comments in advance.

Adrienne
Tech Support

Re: New to Internet Macros

Post by Tech Support » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:55 pm

Based on your description I can assure you that iMacros can solve this task with no problems. But as you said, the task willl require some basic scripting. The advantage of iMacros is that you can use any scripting language for that, so you do not have to learn any vendor-specific language. iMacros does not use an awkward, proprietary vendor specific scripting language. The iMacros Browser, Internet Explorer (with iMacros Add-on) and Firefox (with iMacros Add-On) can be controlled with any Windows programming or scripting language.

For example, the time you invest to learn Microsoft VBS Scripting is very well used, because you can re-use this knowledge for many other non-iMacros projects as well.

Also, the iMacros Scripting Edition includes free Silver-Level Tech Support, so we can also help you when you get "stuck" somewhere ;)

But if you do not have the time to create the macros and scripts yourself, we also offer a custom macro and script creation service. The pricing is based on the complexity of the project. If you are interested in this option, please provide us with more details about your project at http://www.iopus.com/service/consulting/ and we send you a quote with a fixed price in a few days.
mknoll1

Re: New to Internet Macros

Post by mknoll1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:53 pm

I am happy to help out as well. If you search my profile you will see that I am a long time user and active contributor to these boards. I just did a similar project in ouse to fill in addresses on usps.gov and print shipping labels. I think this would be quite similar. However, before you go too far with this I would check that your preferred shipper does not offer a more robust desktop software for tracking packages. This software should be provided free of charge by the shipper (UPS, FEDEX, etc.) An example can be found here