Bug on special chars like á, é, í

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
eneasgesing

Bug on special chars like á, é, í

Post by eneasgesing » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:58 pm

I've founded a bug. The bug is on special chars like á, é, í... When I use these chars, retrieve data from CSV don't work. If I remove these chars, it works.

I'm Brazilian and these chars are very common on Portuguese language.
eneasgesing

Re: Bug on special chars like á, é, í

Post by eneasgesing » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Sorry,

This is my header:
VERSION BUILD=6050612
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Just to clarify: Do you encounter the problem with the iMacros Browser, iMacros for Internet Explorer or iMacros for Firefox?
master_jaf

Same Bug on special chars like German Umlauts (ä,ö,ü)

Post by master_jaf » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:36 pm

I've discovered the same behavior on iMacro 6.0.5.4 for Firefox.

I've edited the "Address.csv" which comes with iMacro and changed the 2nd line to:

Code: Select all

Fränk,Nöris,42 iOpus Drive,San Diego,45001,California,United States,fn@abc.com
Than I've started the unmodified "Demo-Loop-Csv-2-Web.iim" and all fields stay blank/empty, nothing is filled in.
When removing these two German Umlauts, everything is perfect again (fields get filled).

I assume, the data get's lost, cause of some not right implemented text loading method and transform to Unicode. :?:

:idea: I suggest to add a parameter to "!Datasource" command, like "CODEPAGE=CP1252".
And if not provided, take system default (in my case Windows "CP1252")

Regards
MaKi
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:26 pm

master_jaf, I tested on an Englisch Win XP and the CSV file with "ä, ö, ü" was loaded without problems.

Code: Select all

Fraänk,Nöoris,42 iOpüus Drive,San Diego,45001,California,United States,fn@abc.com
Anäään,Cöööoleman,PO Box 12345,Anün Arbor,48109,Michigan,United States,annc@testemail.org
CP1252 is a character encoding of the Latin alphabet, used by default in the components of Microsoft Windows in English and some other Western languages. So I assume you used the English version of Windows as well?

The iMacros Browser supports currently the standart text formats (ASCII, ANSI and the installed codepages as described in http://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?t=2687 ). So that should be no problem.

For full Unicode support you can use the Scripting Interface with iMacros for Firefox.
master_jaf

Post by master_jaf » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Dear Tech Support,

I'm using German Windows and my codepage for non-Unicode programs is "German",
what is CP1252. So I used notepad.exe to modify the shipped "Address.csv" and changed 'Frank' to 'Fränk'.
Then I started the default 'Demo-Loop-Csv-2-Web.iim', but when watching the script running,
all fields stay (still) empty!
Changing 'Fränk' back to 'Frank' results in correctly filled fields.

I've also checked, the "Address.csv" is so called 'ANSI' (to my understanding, ANSI is nowhere defined, so its meant the default codepage, which is CP1252 in my case). The file is not unicode - checked with HEX-Viewer, only 8-bit chars in file and no double byte chars.

Changing the default codepage like described in viewtopic.php?t=2687 is very dangerous I think,
cause you're changing a Windows global setting, which as influence on every program!
Beside, in my case I don't have to change anything, cause it's everything default for a German Windows.

How we can get rid of the problem?

Regards
Martin
Last edited by master_jaf on Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
master_jaf

Post by master_jaf » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:45 pm

Dear Tech Support,

I've done another test with this "Address.csv".
I've converted the file to Unicode (UCS2, Big Endian), which has 2 byte per char and the 0xFE,0xFF as indicator in the header of the file.
When running the macro, the fields also stay empty.

What next?

Regards
Martin