Opening vs. Saving Download File.

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
Aviator

Opening vs. Saving Download File.

Post by Aviator » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:12 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm a total newbie here but I've started using iMacros already and love it!

I'm having difficulty with one area that I just can't seem to figure out:

I'm downloading a file from a web site. When I record the macro, I tell it I want to Open the file (not Save it or Cancel it) when it downloads. But when I go to play the macro, it ignores what I've recorded and automatically Saves the file in an iMacros download folder, with the date and time appended to the file name.

I think the culprit is the following line that got recorded in the macro: ONDOWNLOAD FOLDER=* FILE=+_{{!NOW:yyyymmdd_hhnnss}}
But I don't know how to fix it. No matter how many times I delete and re-record the macro I get the line above.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tech Support

Re: Opening vs. Saving Download File.

Post by Tech Support » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:40 pm

I'm a total newbie here but I've started using iMacros already and love it!
When I record the macro, I tell it I want to Open the file (not Save it or Cancel it) when it downloads.
At the moment, iMacros can "only" download the file. Can I ask why you want to open it? Maybe there is a workaround.
Aviator

Post by Aviator » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:05 am

At the moment, iMacros can "only" download the file.
OK, wasn't aware of that, thanks.
Can I ask why you want to open it? Maybe there is a workaround.
Sure. I use iMacros to automate downloading bank statements into Quicken. When the file is created online and subsequently downloaded, I want Quicken to process it without saving a copy on my computer.

If I may I have one other question: I spent quite a bit of time searching the online documentation and couldn't find an answer (at least not one easily understood by a newbie). My bank offers a drop-down list of my account numbers. It's always in this format: xxxxyy John Smith Savings (or Checking or Money Market, but the account number is always in the first 6 positions of the drop down list).

I want iMacros to return the "yy" portion of the account number so I can use it elsewhere in iMacros. So if I have 2 accounts in the drop down list, say 123456 and 456789, I want iMacros to return 56 and 89, respectively. Is iMacros capable of this?

Thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
mknoll1

Post by mknoll1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:24 pm

Tech Support wrote: At the moment, iMacros can "only" download the file. Can I ask why you want to open it? Maybe there is a workaround.

ThIs is not true, at least for text and CSV files. If you go into windows (not internet) explorer and go to tools, folder options, file types and make sure that the extension of the file is associated with quicken when Iopus clicks on the file it should open. I have done this with CSV and TXT files but I see no reason why it would be different for Quicken files.