Detecting IOPUS usage.

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
mjohnson1857

Detecting IOPUS usage.

Post by mjohnson1857 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:04 am

I have been using IOPUS for a couple of years on various websites. I was contacted by one of the websites today and was told that using IOPUS was not allowed and I must manually use their website. The volume was very low, not more than 100 transactions per month but manually entering the information we take me and extra 8 hours per week. My question is how did they even know? I have been using the IOPUS browser, if I switch to either the IE or firefox addon will they be able to detect that I am using IOPUS. Thanks in advance.
Marcia, Tech Support

Re: Detecting IOPUS usage.

Post by Marcia, Tech Support » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:21 am

Hello,

When you browse a web site with the iMacros Browser, the detected "user agent" will be:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; iOpus-Web-Automation; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

So, the keyword "iOpus" will be present.

You can change your apparent "user agent" with the -useragent command line switch or iimInit ("-useragent ..") in the Scripting Interface. However, despite of a different user agent string, some web servers will be able to detect that you are using some kind of automation because iMacros speed is, of course, much higher than anyone would be able to do manually.
Regards,

Marcia
mjohnson1857

Re: Detecting IOPUS usage.

Post by mjohnson1857 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:46 am

Thanks for your help. I've changed my code. I am not to worried about the speed issue since I do not need it to run fast. I have added some waits using a random number generator trying to simulate a user. Hopefully this will due the trick. Thanks again!