problems with IE plugin taking over child pages

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
rmilling

problems with IE plugin taking over child pages

Post by rmilling » Fri May 26, 2006 12:37 pm

When iMacros plugin is active and I visit a site that spawns child pages, those pages may be unusable -- ie. the child page/window is spawned with no toolbar (i.e. no back button) and the iMacros banner is in the viewable portion of the window. In our environment, the user is restricted from changing settings, so the View menu option to enable the toolbar is not accessible. Such sites cannot be automated with iMacros. Even if not using any automation for the site, the site is unusable if iMacros is active, by default.

QUESTIONS: Is there any way to completely eliminate the iMacros banner pages and first time actions that interfere with such sites? Also, is there some way to force the default state for IE to start with iMacros inactive, even if it was active the last time the user closed IE?
rmilling

need help to eliminate startup/banner page

Post by rmilling » Tue May 30, 2006 4:22 pm

How can I completely eliminate the startup/banner page that is displayed when the iMacros plugin first connects to IE?

Does anyone use IE with the iMacros plugin with any web site that spawns child windows?

The interference caused on a main IE window is disruptive to the user. On a child IE window where there are no toolbars or menus, it is a complete show-stopper -- the application is hung until the child windows are closed and the user disables iMacros on the child window.

Lotus iNotes is a prime example, in my case.

It seems that this is a general problem with any application that spawns child windows. Each new child window seems to be seen by iMacros as a new IE instance, thus the startup interference such as the banner page.

I need to know how to reconfigure iMacros to prevent such startup interference.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:30 am

Hi,

do you have a public example so I can reproduce the problem?

Regards
---
Lasse Clausen, iOpus Support
lg777

I think I have a similar problem

Post by lg777 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:02 am

While I can't provide the website on this forum as it requires login/etc...

Our internet application spawns other windows to open when you want to click on a report button.

I currently have an eval version and it doesn't seem to handle new browser windows well.

Is there some kind of workaround to identifying new browser windows and controlling them simultaneously?
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:49 am

Hi,

If you want to be able handle websites with multiple open pages properly you will need to use the iMacros Browser rather than the IE plug-in. Note for this you will need the PRO or Scripting editions of the software.

The iMacros banner should only be displayed in new windows until you have run your first macro.

Daniel Kerr
iOpus Technical Support